• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Dot bit my green cheeck conure

Deisyg21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Deisy
Hello, i think my dog bit my bird. My bird went to the floor and the puppy went after him. Im not even sure if he bit him, since I reacted almost immediately. I dont want to risk it. The thing is I called emergency vets and they said they don’t check birds. The two avian vets in my area (one do not take walk-ins) the other one have appointments tomorrow at 9:30. Will he make it if he was actually bitten until tomorrow at 9:30 for the appointment. Or is this really an emergency/emergency? I checked my bird and he is fine. There is no blood anywhere but im not sure if maybe it was a small bite.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd definitely consider this an emergency. You won't be able to see internal bleeding or crushed/broken bones if that happened.
I'd honestly show up at the clinic and have them work you in or call around to any and all clinics that maybe able to see him.
Its better to err on the side of caution then to assume all is well. Hopefully no damage was done but best to get him checked by a professional to assess and be absolutely sure.
Hopefully you'll be able to keep your puppy and your bird separate so this can never happen again.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If the dog did grab your bird then you don’t need to see blood for there to be a deadly injury- internal injuries are the things that kill most birds that hit windows- dog mouth or paws is definitely strong enough to damage even if being gentle.
Take the morning appointment and keep calling around other avian vets to see if you can have your bird checked sooner.
Also might pay to use this experience as a warning that it’s not safe letting your bird and dog occupy the same area without one of them being caged/crated.

Personally, I never even allow my dog in the house when I have birds out.

Deisyg21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Deisy
For sure, my bird do not have internal bleeding. The dog did not grab him. it was like a one second thing. He tried to bit him (i think) It was so fast that I’m not even sure if he bit my bird. What I’m worry about is the saliva. Even a small puncture can be bad for them I think.

Deisyg21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Deisy
I'd definitely consider this an emergency. You won't be able to see internal bleeding or crushed/broken bones if that happened.
I'd honestly show up at the clinic and have them work you in or call around to any and all clinics that maybe able to see him.
Its better to err on the side of caution then to assume all is well. Hopefully no damage was done but best to get him checked by a professional to assess and be absolutely sure.
Hopefully you'll be able to keep your puppy and your bird separate so this can never happen again.
I called different places with no luck. For sure I will take the appointment tomorrow.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I called different places with no luck. For sure I will take the appointment tomorrow.
Sorry to hear that you didn't have any luck finding another vet. I'm glad you have the appointment tomorrow though. Please do let us know what the vet says,I hope your little one will be ok.