• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Don't know where to post this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
But since I still feel a pull toward the capes, I'll post it here.
I had a dream last night that I finally got my bird! In the dream it happened to be a TAG, and it wasn't happy in my home :(
Now I'm worried that whichever bird I choose to bring home will be unhappy here, I've never been concerend about that with my past cats or dogs. That is a valid concern though, isn't it? You could say that I have a bit of a sensitive side, kinda like those darned greys ;)
How do you get over a fear that your bird might not be happy with his/her situation?
I know where this fear is coming from, I think. I went to the Greater Omaha Caged Bird Society monthly meeting yesterday, and it was much better than I could've hoped! I got to talk to a couple breeders in the area and watch a bird get his beak trimmed (it was a rescue and the bottom of the beak was growing up and to the side of the upper mandible). The former president of the club even invited me to his home where I got to meet his flock, everything from a little parrotlet to a B&G macaw! Some of the rescues were pluckers, or former pluckers, and one was a wild caught old TAG male whos partner recently died. His head was near bald from all of her plucking and reminded me of the cartoon buzzard that is on Looney Tunes, or Warner Bros, or one of those stations, poor old man. So that in combination with one of the breeders at the club talking about a TAG she's hand feeding PLUS the bird that got his beak trimmed happened to be a TAG, of course it prompted me to research them more once home last night. So there I went and had that stupid dream...
Anyway, maybe the better question is - how do you prepare for the what if my bird is unhappy? I hate what if's, I'm always asking them, and I always like to have a plan (and a plan B and C), just in case.
What does everyone do, just hope for the best? :what:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, yes, hope for the best and give the bird what it needs. I don't have a Cape or a TAG, but the way I always approached it was to go into it thinking I was going to provide unconditional love, and that means working through whatever issues they may have with patience and caring. And, if that means the bird lets me know it would rather be elsewhere after a reasonable amount of time (say, two years), then so be it. But, usually, I've found that unconditional love works its magic within months :) Birds are amazing creatures, very empathic; they are like a mirror that reflects back what you give them. If what you give them is love, in most cases, you'll see it coming back to you. :heart:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Everythings going to be okay. Just do your research. If your going to get a baby make sure the breeder is a good one. A good breeder will wean and fledge his babies. He will teach you how to hand feed and talk about abundance weaning. He will allow and encourage visits while your waiting for your faby and he will vet his birds and offer a health guarantee.

If you going to get a rehome, which I would strongly consider, the rescue should offer classes in bird care and do a home visit. Some rescues refuse to adopt to a home with other pets, especially cats and dogs because of the danger it presents to birds. Make sure the rescue you adopt from vets it's birds and practices quaratine.

You need to do your research on kind of bird will fit into your lifestyle. It is a lifetime committment and is the equivilent of adopting a child, especially if you get a bigger parrot. Most Greys don't like a lot of noise and stress, it upsets them, while most Too's enjoy the chaos.

Do you like to travel? It's very difficult just to take off with a large parrot in the house. What kind of work hours do you keep? Some birds just can't take their "flock" being away for 8-10 hours a day. What about kids? Birds require just as much time as a human baby and many birds get rehomed when a human child comes on the scene.

Make sure you have a cage that is the right size for your bird. A bigger parrot needs a bigger cage. Minimum for a grey would be 46 x 30 x 60 inside. They need a good diet and they need vet care just like a cat or a dog. And avian vet care is expensive.

Do your homework, ask a ton of questions here and on other boards.

We are here to help you anyway we can.

Ginger

Flahmingo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barbara
Perhaps with all your doubts you should consider adopting a shelter cat or dog for now. There are millions killed in shelters everyday. I'm sure any of those whose time was up today would not have had a problem being happy in your home. Just saying.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I think if you have doubts or fears like that they would translate to the bird...you need to do a lot more research..there are good stories out there too..

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Let me start off quick with a little background on me (@Barbara, you're about to see that you're a mind reader ;) )
My first recent dog was a rescue, 95% doberman, 7 years old, had cancer and heartworms. She lived 6 wonderful years with me before going off to the rainbow bridge. Because of her I got involved with rescue. I had already been volunteering my weekends at the local shelter, but I wanted to be more involved. Next came Bam Bam my papillon. Because of him I got involved with papillon rescue and eventually became the MidWest coordinator for a national papillon rescue group that take in mainly puppy mill survivors. Started a dog training/grooming business and no longer was home enough to foster and eventually stepped away from the coordinator position. Owning a business is not my forte, so I left the business to my partner and she has it today. Got involved with Papillon Club of America Rescue and today I maintain POC for the Nebraska Humane Society should they have papillons come in that aren't doing well in the shelter and need a rescue to go to. That and I help out with transports coming through the MidWest, but no longer foster, except on rare, short occassions. So there you have it, Barbara, you're officially a mind reader :hehe:
Because I'm really interested in education, educating the public about animals and their situations, I do think an (un)cape parrot would be a great species to have because so few people take the time to know/care about what is going on in the wild when it comes to these animals and showing them would be a good experience for all involved.
However, after reading articles online (the recent ones about TAGs and CAGs being prone to plucking) has me a little concerned. They say that it happens sometimes and it's not always possible to narrow down as to why they're doing it. Is that really 100% true, or is it possible that owners are not being honest and maybe something in the home environment is lacking, diet, lighting, wings clipped/unclipped, children, etc, etc. I know I'm at the point of over-analysing, lol, but I swear, I'm just trying to set myself up for success :thumbsup: (and I'm addicted to these smilies)...

@Ginger - Thanks so much for the great advice! I have actually been researching since October last year and have read through tons of books (currently reading: "Why Does My Bird Do That?" by Mancini, "Parrot Tricks..." by Robar and Grindol and rereading "Parrots for Dummies" by Moustaki --I keep one in the car, one by my bed and one in the bathroom :shrug:). I also belong to ...I think? 5 Yahoo Groups? which have all been really great. Needless to say, I'm nearly obsessed with the research.

EDIT: -I had the (un)fortunate opportunity to have a couple of parakeets when I was a kid. I didn't know the first thing about keeping them, other than what the mall pet store told me to do. They lived in a tiny cage with only seed, one toy that they ignored and a mirror. They had a terrible life and since I didn't know what I was doing or the proper way to care for them, they became an annoyance and eventually the cat got them. It was a horrible existence for them, I thought it was completely normal and figured they were happy. I quickly decided they were boring because they didn't want to come right out and play and when they did get out once they just flew around the room, probably scared to pieces. I refuse to let anything like that happen again and may be part of the reason I'm researching so darned much... As far as having the bird here, I guess the only thing I'm minorly concerned about is that I'll baby it a little too much at first and then end up paying the consequences. Heh, but I guess if that happens it'll be my own fault and you'll all be able to tell me "You should've known better!" ;)

Last edited:

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
@Anne - Yep, I've seen a lot of good stories, they really are a joy to read. So far the cape owners have had 99% great things to say about their birds and it's a lot of fun to read their posts and see their pictures. I guess I'm trying to plan for 'worst case scenario' which I don't really expect to happen, would actually be rather surprised, but I don't want my lack of a plan/research be the reason another bird ends up in rescue... because I wasn't prepared.
lol, maybe I shouldn't waste my time worrying about something that hasn't even happened yet...

--Thanks everyone for your posts, I think I am overthinking this a bit... it's also just as obvious to me that spending a weekend with a bird will squelch any reservations I might have had about them, I just literally don't have the good experience and I have too much time to wonder... Sounds like springtime will be when my hubby and I will have a good stash in savings to go out and contact the breeder...

Last edited:

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
@Holiday - I would not be surprised if you told me you have worked with rescue pets/fostered in the past. I guess what I've applied to my rescues/fosters works the same here, I just need to trust my own knowledge/instincts/heart. Thanks.

Flahmingo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barbara
Erika, thanks for info. Glad to see that you have done rescue. Are you considering possibly rescuing the bird that you ultimately decide upon?

Personally, I am against the breeding and sale of exotic birds. I know that will not make me popular on most bird forums! I do however appreciate those who do rescue work for all species. Just wish there were fewer to rescue.:(

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Hi Barbara!
Yes, I have considered it, and it is not out of the realm of possibilities, however I am not against responsible breeding either. I know that usually people are either for rescue, or into breeding and not always 'into' both, but I see the benefits of both. I remain involved in rescue, yet I do admit that I also have a dog that I show. If it wasn't for the responsible breeders, we'd only have the irresponsible ones to fall back on, and that's just not right either. If no one bred, eventually there would be no domesticated pets anymore, and I could not survive in a world like that, sometimes I think I like my pets more than people! ;)

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
I have experiences with both and I do find that what you get what you put in. Elle was 16 years old when she came to me. She had lived all her life in a small cage and no toys. She bit my thumbs every single day for about a week. Then it was like a click.. all of a sudden she was all about me and hasn't gone back! She loves being talked to and pet and she loves being loved. I was so surprised that she came around so fast!! I love her so much.

With a baby it's easier. Babies love attention and affection. They crave it.

Whatever you decide- the baby will LOVE you!

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Thanks for that Joanna :)
I did some reading last night on feather plucking, I found a good article posted in another thread (Feather Abuse in Parrots by Pamela Clark), it was a sticky, I think in the health section. Anyway, I learned a lot and with knowledge is power. While it doesn't give all the answers, it helps in that aspect, it gives me my plan A, B, C... ;)
I'm really enjoying Avian Avenue, there is so much to be had here, I think everyone that is thinking about getting their first bird, another bird, or someone that already has one needs to be on here, it's a wealth of information and knowledgeable bird people. Thank you everyone for your suggestions, ideas and advice! :hug6:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I'm really enjoying Avian Avenue, there is so much to be had here, I think everyone that is thinking about getting their first bird, another bird, or someone that already has one needs to be on here, it's a wealth of information and knowledgeable bird people. Thank you everyone for your suggestions, ideas and advice! :hug6:
So true!!! :highfive:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Holiday - I would not be surprised if you told me you have worked with rescue pets/fostered in the past. I guess what I've applied to my rescues/fosters works the same here, I just need to trust my own knowledge/instincts/heart. Thanks.
Yes, I've rescued/fostered many cats over the years. But, parrots are an entirely different ballgame. Much more challenging, IMO. But research helps enormously, as does the knowledge that this community is here to help with any issues that might arise. I probably would not have adopted Elvis if it were not for the support and help of the people here (well, on the old board). And, she is a ray of sunlight in my life :)

Last edited:

BayuCah'ya

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emily
Erika, I think you are doing a great job researching so much before getting your first bird. With birds, there will always be an adjustment period. Many of the birds that I have fostered or kept were very unhappy initially because they were scared and it was a new environment for them, etc., but they all eventually came around--even if that took a year or two, in some cases! But like others have said, if you can provide a healthful, enriching, loving environment, your bird will eventually adjust to their new life and be happy and well-adjusted.

I also agree with you for the need for responsible breeders. If not for them, society would fall back on illegal smuggling and depleting the numbers of birds in the wild, which would be devastating to whole ecologies in addition to millions of wild-caught birds. Not to mention the fact that many species will probably very soon only exist in captivity, at the rate at which their numbers in the wild are declining, so those companion birds are ambassadors and spokespeople on behalf of their wild counterparts. If there was a way to weed out bird mills and irresponsible breeders who don't adequately care for their birds or educate their customers, that would be ideal, but in the meantime, if you decide to get a baby bird from a responsible breeder, you would not be doing anything wrong. I have worked for a few different avian rescue groups and am currently working with other people from the Austin Parrot Society to start a new rescue group here in Austin, but I think we will be most successful at educating the public if avian rescues, responsible breeders, and individuals who live with companion parrots work together to raise awareness and help eliminate irresponsible/mass bird breeding.
/stepping off soapbox now. :)

Whether you find your Cape in rescue or get a baby from a breeder, I'm sure you'll do great! Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.