• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Don't know how to get my birds calm in morning

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Hello, my two budgies sleep in my room, I cover their cage with a bed sheet. But in the morning, cage cover on or off, they start angry chirping and fly every where crazy until I either leave the room or let them out. They don't stop. It's like a habit now!!! I can't wake up peacefully and I really want to. They have plenty of time outside of the cage during the day.

ParrotNuts

Real Name
Atharv
Can you tell us more about their sleep schedule and how long their out during the day?
Also the coconut hut you have in your profile is not good for birds, it promotes hormones. I'd take it out :)

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Thanks did not know about the coconut. I knew about mirrors.
So I put them to bed around nine to eight, and they fly around crazy around 7 to eight. I let them out for hours each day. And they don't fly around crazy because they want the cover off, because even if I uncover them they do the same.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's likely normal morning behaviors... They just got a good night's sleep and they are ready for the day! They have all this energy and need to get it out :) Birds in the wild are noisy in the mornings, too!

I would try giving them their breakfast the night before in foraging toys, something they have to tear into or figure out in order to get food. It might give them a constructive, quiet way to get some energy out :)

Otherwise, is there a different room they been sleep in?

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
No, there is not another room to sleep in. They used to be in the living room, but my mom can't stand the mess. And i get stressed out that they will get out of the house by accident. Your probably correct. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it.

HannahBean

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
How big is the cage? It might just be coincidence, but when I moved my birds to a flight cage they actually sleep in longer than me and are just more calm in general.
What kind of food do they eat? Pellets, seed ect? These could also be affecting your birds energy levels.

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
Also, how light-proof is their cage cover?

The windows in my birds' room have always been covered, but not with black-out curtains. As the dawn started coming earlier and earlier here (Northern Hemisphere), my birds kept waking up earlier (not a problem) and singing the song of their people at the top of their lungs (kind of a problem). I doubled the coverage over my windows and now they're quiet until I come in and create their dawn by gradually bringing the lights up for them.

You might want to look into either a more light-blocking cage cover or blackout curtains for your room.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I can't wake up peacefully and I really want to.
What time do you want to wake up? Hold that thought... see below.

So I put them to bed around nine to eight, and they fly around crazy around 7 to eight.
Have you tried putting them to bed later? If you'd like an extra 60 minutes of sleep, perhaps put them to bed 60 to 90 minutes later each night.

Also, is there any activity in the house they might be hearing around 7 to 8? If so, is the door to your room closed?

One of mine woke up early for a while, but by ignoring his stirring, he learned the rhythm of the house fairly quickly (now he's quiet until I go to his room)... but admittedly, I don't have anyone else that might make noise to wake them.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My budgies go to be a bit later than sundown, because I don't want them making noise before 8:00 a.m. I really don't need by-law stopping by. And, especially as COVID continues, I find people are more & more irrational, which might make such a call more likely.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
No matter how 'tame' our birds appear we can't fight natural instincts. The slightest hint of light or sound of normal activity in the home will trigger their natural instinct to form the dawn chorus. I'm not saying it can't be done by trickery, but fighting the millenia of evolution and conditioning often leads to failure.
I'm lucky. The room my flock are in is totally blacked out and I'm the only one here. My flock stirs when I do, I lead the dawn chorus.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
birds are birds = up at dawn and roosting at dusk. As Rip wrote its in their blood, no way to change it. So If you want a quiet morning you will have to put them in another room. Keep the mess cleaned up so your mom will not complain.

Last edited: