• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Don't give up hope - Missing parrot found

Status
Not open for further replies.

gayla

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gayla
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-found-parrot-20100727,0,999119.story?track=rss
Lola, an African gray, braved the wilds of L.A. for 24 days before she was found two miles from home in Silver Lake. Her rescuers get a reward.

Lola gets a kiss from Alexis Readinger in her Silver Lake home. With them is Readinger’s other parrot, Charlie.

Lola, the African gray parrot whose Silver Lake owner put up billboards when she went missing, has been returned home safe and sound.

She was discovered two miles away, on the balcony of a house in East Hollywood. Margaret Starr, the home's owner, spotted her perched in a pot of geraniums after she attracted the attention of Starr's cats.

Starr, 71, slipped on a pair of oven mitts and picked the bird up, putting an end to Lola's 24-day adventure in the wilds of Los Angeles.

Lola took flight from Alexis Readinger's backyard on June 26. Readinger searched for her high and low, with the aid of a psychic, a pet detective, two bloodhounds and 400 fliers. On traveling billboards stationed across Silver Lake, she offered a $2,000 reward for the parrot and described Lola's taste for "almonds, oranges and ice cream."

Dozens of strangers called to offer advice or say they had spotted the bird. But none of the leads led to Lola until last Wednesday, when Starr called after spotting Readinger's Craigslist post.

At first sight, Readinger wasn't convinced the parrot was hers, she said. This bird, she said, had a wild way about her, "like a raptor in the wind." And when she said "hello," it was in a lower register than Lola's typically high-pitched greetings.

But then Readinger recognized the scar on Lola's talon, where she had once been clipped by a closing door.

When Lola left, Starr and her husband, Marvin Friedenn, found themselves missing the silvery bird.

"She had filled the house with her energy," said Friedenn, 71.

Readinger decided to thank the couple by using a portion of the reward money to buy them a parrot of their own and Starr and Friedenn asked that Readinger donate the rest to a nonprofit that cares for cats. The couple have named their new bird l'Odeon after their favorite street in Paris.

As for Readinger, a few days ago she bought some red spray paint and set out to update her billboards.

"Lola Found," they now read. "Thnx, L.A. We [heart] you."

Last edited by a moderator:

Barb

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barb
That is AWESOME welcome home LOLa.......

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
what an awesome, heart warming story.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Great story!

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love happy endings thanks posting this:hug8:

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
What a great story!!! :heart: :hug8:

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
How wonderful! Gives me hope that some person might still give me a jingle and let me know they found my kitty.

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Never give up!! Pets have been found week/months after being lost.

I pray everyday that someone out there finds Shrek and brings him home.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Fantastic!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.