• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Done It Again

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Since the loss of Summer it's been deathly quiet, certainly not busy enough to keep Tau's mind occupied. I could have brought the lovies back into the flock but they are definitely mum's birbs now. Sprite is happy at my sister's, so I had a look through the vet's books, see if there' s anything up for fostering and adoption just to keep Tau company for a while and help bring him back out of his shell again.
I thumbed through the photos. Plenty of budgies - no thank you. As much as I love them I've had it with them. Couple of tiels - Tau's not ready. He'll either hate or fall madly in love. A pair of kakariki? Don't have the cage space. GCC? Bad experience with those. Then a Crimson Rosella on the back page.
I went through the book again, a little more slowly and negated everything, apart from the Rosella. He was reared/adopted at 2weeks by a pair of Cockatiels. His mother died and dad lost interest, and this pair had just lost 2 chick's (crushed). So he is used to tiels.
He has been plucking (his owner died and never got any stimulation from the children), and was surrendered to the vet's 3 weeks ago. He's remarkably healthy despite a seed diet and very skittish. The only thing is his right wing is heavily clipped :bash:
Ladies and Gentlemen:
_20190906_201229.JPG

Last edited:

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow! Beautiful colors!!!

The ckipping will grow out in time, are you going to do it? Or did you do it already?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Your vet is an adoption agency of sort?
It's a great system my vet operates. Here in the UK we have the RSPB (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds), who unfortunately deal only with indigenous birds. Then we have the RSPCA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) who rescue and take in abandoned birds, but have very limited facilities for birds, they deal mainly with mammals. Good bird rescues are few and far between so my vet set up his own rescue as part of the practice to give birds the safest place to wait for fostering or adoption. He carries books for some local-ish rescues but I would rather get any bird from a vet. In fact the operation is so large he employs peeps to look after the birds full time and has himself become a consultant to give him the time to run things. You can imagine it's a rather large operation.
are you going to do it? Or did you do it already?
The clip to the right wing was done by the previous keepers for 'training' purposes. I have the choice now between a bird that can circle to the floor or a feathered brick.
He may end up being an adoption. I'm waiting to see Tau's reaction.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Well isn´t he a pretty bird?! What a stunner!❤

I hope Tau takes to him well. If not, at least he will have a nice home until he is adopted :)

Babysteps - no pressure. What is his name?

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Crimson Rosella. I know, not very crimson, but I think this mutation makes him special
I never heard of this type of birb (I don't think)... I looked up Rosella, they sound like they're interesting & they all have beautiful colors. Your new Loger is particularly unique, & as I said before... Beautiful. I hope, Tau & Roger get along well.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
He’s so beautiful! I hope it works out for you and Tau!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
He's gorgeous! I've actually never seen one of him before, I actually gasped out loud!