• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Don’t give up !

Pigeonplus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jim
This is for all the parents of”impossible rescues! In 1994 I rescued a blue fronted from a near lethal abuse situation. I brought him/her home. After the vet issues were fixed then the trauma began I spent many days with this bird being as gentle as possible and trying to “do it right. All I got was bloody fingers,frustrated and a more stressed bird. Finally I changed my tactics to no agenda ! I have good care did what I could and let “Aggie”. Work it out. I made sure she had attention,got to come out regularly and NEVER forced her again. It took a number of years but one spring day I let her out ,I was sitting in the same chair I always sat in and out of the blue “ Aggie” climbed down the cage side and began to trill at me. NEVER before! I let let do what she wanted and even touched her ever so gently. NO BITE !!! Two days later she actually climbed down onto my chair and sat with me. I have her an under wing rub and still NO BITE. . After a few more days I saw a transition come over that bird that made it all worth it!!! I now have a little green love sponge who will let me touch her all over and is my dear friend. !!! It was worth all those years of letting HER work it. So hang in there and if what you are doing isn’t working give up your agenda and let your bird come to you Give best care and everything but one thing I learned once they trust you it changes everything!!!! I’m new here but wanted to share. Jim

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Welcome !
Wonderful example of " burd time" and love and commitment!

My quaker forced interactions girl, took about a year of never forcing interactions to become my love sponge ( great term!)

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
That's wonderful, it is a really good thread for those struggling with their rescues.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Welcome to AA!
Sometimes understanding, patience and time, are what is needed.
Sounds like you were exactly who Aggie needed.
Still have her? Would love a photo either way.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Jim!

Thankyou for sharing your story :)

Pigeonplus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jim
Yes I sure do have the lil luv sponge! I’m probably the only human who will ever be able to touch her but as long as it took it was worthwhile. My only real aggitude I wish I could change is when I’m on the phone she loves to SCREAM. I wish I could figure out ( short of my leaving the room). How to get her to not do that!!! Keep up the great job with all those luv sponges in the making enjoy

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Lurch took about 5 years and I got lots of bites but we got there as he slowly realized I was trustworthy and he actually liked being with me. I tried to take the same approach and every time he got a little closer, chose not to immediately bite, and eventually we came to a understanding and he was chasing me all over the house. Like you said it was so worth it to see him finally happy and a friend. He never did fully stop being pissy and threatening to bite but it was part of who he was. :xflove:

Pigeonplus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jim
Way ya go with all our problem kids! To this day when I’m interacting with Aggie is she gets crabby(such an Amazon thing) and does anything more than a minor growl or beak threat I just discontinue any interaction for a short time. Usually she will kool her jets and life returns to abnormal