• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Don’t EVER sleep with your bird.

Dozi

Moving in
Real Name
Emily
Last night, after my boyfriend had left and I was alone in my house save for my parrots, I was feeling particularly lonely and vulnerable in my bed. I didn’t often like to sleep with my conure- after all, I was aware of the risks and had nightmares about them when I did, but I was in such a state that I took her out and placed her onto my pillow. She preferred to snuggle against my head usually, before sleeping between the pillow and the cushions on the side I never rolled towards, so I told myself that she’d be fine.

I underestimated both her and myself.

Whilst I was asleep, she must’ve crawled down from the pillow to snuggle into me. She usually only did this whenever I woke up, so I hadn’t expected it. I woke up immediately to the most gut-wrenching scream I’ve ever heard from a bird as I rolled slightly over towards her. I immediately panicked, knowing what must’ve happened as I rushed to turn on the lights and saw her; wings splayed out, crushed where I had lain.

I was fortunate, though. I hadn’t put all of my pressure onto her, and I could see she was still breathing- just in shock. Within a few minutes of me crying and begging to God that she’d come back to me, her eyes began to refocus. I wrapped her up in a warm blanket and spoke to her for a few hours, and she revived fully. But I’ll never forget her scream, the way she was stretched out over the bed where we’d both felt so safe. Never sleep with your bird. I might’ve gotten lucky, but I don’t feel like it.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m glad your bird is ok, but I would head over to the vet to have her looked at just incase.

Dozi

Moving in
Real Name
Emily
I´m glad your bird is ok, but I would head over to the vet to have her looked at just incase.
I’m just coming back from the vet and thankfully she’s fine, I was so worried that she’d broken a wing and she was so silent for hours. I was given some drops to put into her food though to help her recover her strength. We’re heading back for some well deserved rest separate from one another.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That´s a great update! Rest well :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
How many hundreds of times have we emphasized to everyone on this forum to NEVER EVER SLLEP WITH YOUR BIRD?

I'm glad your error turned out not to be the disaster it very well could have been.

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
I'm glad your bird was uninjured. Thank you for posting this it might very well prevent someone else from losing a bird.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good that all is well with your bird. Sometimes even sitting on the sofa watching TV with your bird next to you can be dangerous. You can get sleepy, roll over and injure your bird or much worse than that.

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Oh my goodness! That sounds so horrific, but I'm so thankful your bird is ok. I had a friend, and apparently her cousin slept with her cockatoo every night. I have no idea how some people still think it is safe. It might seem fun, but its not worth the risk...

I'm really glad your bird is ok though, and I hope this is a good reminder for everyone! It is NOT worth the risk!!!