• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dollys Vet Visit

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Well, after 2 failed attempts to get in to vet, both appointments rescheduled due to their staff being sick with COVID, I got Dolly in yesterday.
Both of her wings are damaged. Vet said hopefully now that she is settling in here, that with her next molt her feathers should all come back in, and we will work with her to exercise her wings. She can't pinpoint what happened as previous owner only said the person he got her from had mentioned that she had a problem with one of her wings. She stated that whatever the cause was, it's an old injury. She had her nails trimmed and was really good about letting the vet do them without having to towel or sedate her. I had asked her not to use a towel as Dolly was already stressed out from the journey and the carrier. As for the previous owner saying she didn't like females, well Dolly snuggles with me most of the day. I don't know what his wife had done to lose trust with Dolly but the vet said it's so good you rescued her, although she's a sick little girl. She is going back in 3 weeks to get blood work done for Borna Virus and Polyoma Virus.
She also got some pain medicine Gabapentin which she has to have daily for 3 weeks.
She can't say what could have happened to Dollys toe and nail either. Again, they are old injuries.
As far as the owner saying she had just plucked herself before we got her, the vet said that's been going on a long time. It's not just recent.
All in all, vet visit went good and she likes the vet, as vet showed me some pics she took of Dolly on her arm and then snuggling with her.
I just want to give her as good a life as I can after what she's been through. I am angry at what she has had to endure in her short life and angry the previous owners hadn't taken her to the vet for anything. Frankie has been to the vets 3 times the past year for wellness checks and nail and beak trims even during the pandemic.
No excuse for not taking care of a sick bird. Sorry. Rant over.
Dolly is all snuggled up in her warm blanket now, playing with her stuffed toys.

Attachments

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Oh she looks so adorable with her little duck! :heart: :xflove: So glad she found a soft landing with you. :yes4:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
So sad that previous owners were not kind to her. Now you have working base to start with. She is adorable and will receive the love she so deserves.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank You for getting here the care she needs and the love she gets :heart::heart:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Thank you for caring

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She looks so cute in that pic. Thanks for taking care of her. :)

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
She's beautiful.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Aww such a cute picture of her with her toy. So nice to hear everything went smoothly at the vet. She´s in good hands now, it´s a shame she wasn´t treat so well before, but at least now she is :)

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Thank you all for the kind messages. She is truly loved and she has such a sweet personality which melts my heart.
Frankie and her greet each other every morning from separate rooms and she even calls him by name. When Frankie is in the kitchen he wanders over to the living room through the day with his toy to check on her.
She has a couple of new feathers growing in now which is good.
The poor baby is scared of her rope swing as she has never had one before. It's all a work in progress and the future looks bright.

Birdy888

Strolling the yard
Real Name
James
I have had Kyliegh the G2 for about a month. I don't know if the previous owner ever took her to the vet or not. I am hoping to get into a vet within the next 2 weeks however. I should have the money I need for her initial exam by then. I agree with you Icey. There is no excuse for not going to the vet at least once a year. You are doing an awesome job with her. That bird is fortunate to be with you.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Dolly finally found the love and care she deserves.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
She's been doing alot of dancing today and I am exhausted now. Lol
She can go on and on like the energizer bunny. If you stop dancing she stops and looks at you and bobs her head as if to say I'm not done yet. My hubby does the background vocals and gets so tired lol
Tomorrow I am going to try and get her on her swing. I think once she gets used to it she will love it. Frankie was on the stand and went to step up on the swing and stopped and looked at me like what's this tiny thing. Needless to say he couldn't get on it, but the look he gave me was too cute. ;)
They are both keeping me busy so it's good for me with the loss of Teddy. I still look for him everyday. Such a sad time.