• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dolly's Vet Appointment

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I'm waiting for a reply from the previous owner as to whether or not she laid eggs before and if there were any complications. Having said that, he never took her to the vets so probably wouldn't know.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes most of the hormone shots are something you would need to repeat. There is an implant that you may be able to ask about too

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Vets........ just like human's drs.....

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Well after being told she would call me at 10 am I called them at 1pl to find out Sophie was "on break" and would call me in 15 minutes. 3/4 of an hour later she finally called me and said she had tried calling me yesterday and today which was bull but she shut up when I told her that her assistant had no problem reaching me. :shake:
Anyways the faeces swab came back as normal, healthy, no sign of parasites.
The blood work came back that she has a high fat content, which would be understadable (from her seed diet) which is why she is eating more pellets and greens now.
She also stated she is hormonal now and asking if she had laid any eggs. Not since I've had her, as she should know, but she said moving forward we should do an endoscopy. She said to make sure there are no blockages. I asked if she was eggbound but she said the endoscopy would show that.
So now she wants another 800-900 pounds up front for that. Is it just me or does this sound a bit strange? Do all birds not get hormonal???
When I asked about her chest being fuzz, instead of feathers, again she told me the endoscopy would show anything.. She had previously told me the blood work would show that. :angel1::think1:
She told me she did a thorough exam but didn't notice Dollys new feather on her mangled wing. It sticks out like a sore thumb in a good way. That tells me her wings might regrow. Wishful thinking, but possible.
When I asked her again about Dollys weight she said "around 210g"
"Around"???? I don't think she weighed her or doesn't take notes.
I am more stressed and frustrated than ever.
Can anyone make sense of this for me please? I have a headache from all this.
@Mizzely, @Hankmacaw or anyone else with experience please.
I work at a vet clinic! I can actually help someone!

So, when it comes to being eggbound, an Xray would show that, and be much less expensive, and likely less stressful for Dolly. In regards to being fuzzy, as opposed to feathered - What on earth is an endoscopy going to do regarding that? No, that's pretty bunk. The bloodwork (what kind of bw was it? CBC?) would have shown if anything was abnormal to cause that, as far as a problem with kidneys vs liver vs white blood cell count, etc.

I can't say much about the cost, as I'm in the US and I don't know how prices compare between our countries, but that (to me, in my opinion and not a solid fact at all) sounds like a great deal more than it should be - £900 is about $1035 (per Google), and while it is certainly expensive here, it's usually closer to $700-800. But again, US vet prices vs anywhere else, I can't speak on.

That there isn't an exact weight is concerning, though I'm tempted to give the benefit of the doubt and say she might have said "around" because it could have been something like 210.02g or something like that. When she said "around", did you ask for the exact number? If yes, and she couldn't give it, that's an issue unless she didn't have it in front of her (which she should have, because being prepared prior to the call is A Thing).

All in all, in my opinion, I would get your current clinic to email you Dolly's records, as well as copies of the bw and any and all notes in the chart (ask for notes to be included!) and find a different vet for a second opinion. When you see the second vet, be candid but polite, and don't insult the current vet - I'm not saying you would, but even saying something that could be *interpreted* as an insult will put the new vet on guard. Vet med is a small community, where everyone is protective of everyone else due to the amount of abuse we receive. It's a pain, but we're in it for the animals (mostly, there are crappy exceptions).

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
med is a small community, where everyone is protective of everyone else due to the amount of abuse we receive
I'm curious about this statement. I'm not being rude I'm genuinely interested.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Statistically, vet med has one of the highest suicide rates (Here’s one article). Anyone in a vet office, from reception to tech/assistant to doctor to kennel, will receive comments about we’re “only in it for the money,” we don’t really care about the pets, if we did it would be free, etc. A vet clinic is like any business - we HAVE to charge to keep the lights on and people paid. It’s a daily battle of not falling into burnout or compassion fatigue, or worse.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I too would see another vet. Doing a scope doesn't make sense to me. As for weight- I will say if a bird is squirming it's sometimes hard to get an exact weight. Perhaps that's what the "around" meant. But the rest of it doesn't make sense to me.

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I would see a different vet. The vet couldn’t even be bothered to say sorry for taking so long. I agree with everyone else here What is a scope going to do? :goodluck:

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I work at a vet clinic! I can actually help someone!

So, when it comes to being eggbound, an Xray would show that, and be much less expensive, and likely less stressful for Dolly. In regards to being fuzzy, as opposed to feathered - What on earth is an endoscopy going to do regarding that? No, that's pretty bunk. The bloodwork (what kind of bw was it? CBC?) would have shown if anything was abnormal to cause that, as far as a problem with kidneys vs liver vs white blood cell count, etc.

I can't say much about the cost, as I'm in the US and I don't know how prices compare between our countries, but that (to me, in my opinion and not a solid fact at all) sounds like a great deal more than it should be - £900 is about $1035 (per Google), and while it is certainly expensive here, it's usually closer to $700-800. But again, US vet prices vs anywhere else, I can't speak on.

That there isn't an exact weight is concerning, though I'm tempted to give the benefit of the doubt and say she might have said "around" because it could have been something like 210.02g or something like that. When she said "around", did you ask for the exact number? If yes, and she couldn't give it, that's an issue unless she didn't have it in front of her (which she should have, because being prepared prior to the call is A Thing).

All in all, in my opinion, I would get your current clinic to email you Dolly's records, as well as copies of the bw and any and all notes in the chart (ask for notes to be included!) and find a different vet for a second opinion. When you see the second vet, be candid but polite, and don't insult the current vet - I'm not saying you would, but even saying something that could be *interpreted* as an insult will put the new vet on guard. Vet med is a small community, where everyone is protective of everyone else due to the amount of abuse we receive. It's a pain, but we're in it for the animals (mostly, there are crappy exceptions).
Thank you for sharing your information and thoughts with me. I will call them tomorrow and get them to send her records to me. I really don't think I will go back to her. She informed me already the xray would be around 600 pounds too.:blink:
I really don't know why she's so determined to get the endoscopy done since I never mentioned anything about laying eggs. Tbh, I am more concerned about her fuzz versus feathers but she seems reluctant to discuss this issue.
I feel like her and I are speaking two different languages.

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Thank you for sharing your information and thoughts with me. I will call them tomorrow and get them to send her records to me. I really don't think I will go back to her. She informed me already the xray would be around 600 pounds too.:blink:
I really don't know why she's so determined to get the endoscopy done since I never mentioned anything about laying eggs. Tbh, I am more concerned about her fuzz versus feathers but she seems reluctant to discuss this issue.
Great idea! How much is the endoscopy?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
If you like this vet otherwise, you could always put that to her plainly - that you don’t feel well communicated with, that she’s recommending these procedures without telling you exactly why, and that she’s ignoring your direct questions. If you do plan to see a different vet, I would write this one a letter telling her the above, and say that, while she is an otherwise good doctor, these are the issues you’re experiencing, and are seeking care elsewhere because of it (I’d probably write an email in order to easily keep a dated copy).

While X-rays are definitely cheaper than an endoscopy, they’re still expensive - but still less stressful for the animals overall, and will be able to see if there is a blockage or not. I still don’t understand why she’d resort to an endo first, it’s so much more invasive. But either way, I would suggest a second opinion, and see what’s what elsewhere. Best of luck!

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
If you like this vet otherwise, you could always put that to her plainly - that you don’t feel well communicated with, that she’s recommending these procedures without telling you exactly why, and that she’s ignoring your direct questions. If you do plan to see a different vet, I would write this one a letter telling her the above, and say that, while she is an otherwise good doctor, these are the issues you’re experiencing, and are seeking care elsewhere because of it (I’d probably write an email in order to easily keep a dated copy).

While X-rays are definitely cheaper than an endoscopy, they’re still expensive - but still less stressful for the animals overall, and will be able to see if there is a blockage or not. I still don’t understand why she’d resort to an endo first, it’s so much more invasive. But either way, I would suggest a second opinion, and see what’s what elsewhere. Best of luck!
Thank you so much for your suggestion. She is not our regular vet. Their main office rotates them and she ended up staying, then took over the practice. I really liked the other vet but apparently he is no longer there.
She does know I am upset with her so she is probably expecting me to look for a vet elsewhere.
It was like pulling teeth trying to get direct answers from her alot of the time.
True, in her defense, she did say she didn't know for a few question, like Dolly's fuzz versus feathers growing, and is red palm oil good for them, but I feel like I'm just throwing away money if she can't give me at leasr some answers for my concerns. Like it could be this or it could be that. But nothing except more tests then xray if it doesn't help.
I won't put Dolly through some unnecessary testing that is going to cause her anxiety and pain and discomfort.

Last edited:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
If you liked the other one, do you know where they went?

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can buy a gram scale & weight her yourself. They're usually sold in the food section of department stores or on line. 210g is pretty small for a U2. Could be your bird refused to hold still on the scale. Most average about 480g & up. I'd ask for a copy of your records & find a different vet. I would only opt for an endoscopy if something showed on a x-ray first.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do you think maybe she was trying to save you the money for the xray?

Trust is so important in medical issues (for us or feathered family)

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Do you think maybe she was trying to save you the money for the xray?

Trust is so important in medical issues (for us or feathered family)
I don't know tbh.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
You can buy a gram scale & weight her yourself. They're usually sold in the food section of department stores or on line. 210g is pretty small for a U2. Could be your bird refused to hold still on the scale. Most average about 480g & up. I'd ask for a copy of your records & find a different vet. I would only opt for an endoscopy if something showed on a x-ray first.
When she told me Dolly's weight (210g) I asked her the normal weight of a u2 and she said 240g.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I just called the vets and asked for her test results so hopefully the receptionist will send them over...not holding my breath waiting....