• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dolly's Vet Appointment

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Well tomorrow Dolly, my sweet little cockatoo is going to the vet for a wellness check up.
As some of you know she is not in the best condition health wise.
I have been panicking these past few days about it, so sorry if I didn't reply to posts I normally would. I will catch up with them later.
I want to thank @Hankmacaw and @Mizzely so much for their guidance and support they have given me. They have helped me stay calm and given me great advice.
Hopefully I can get Dolly on the right track to getting better.
I will update tomorrow when we get back.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I hope all goes well and she doesn’t hate the vet trip too much.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I hope dolly feels better!:goodluck:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope the vet visit goes well!!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Best of luck!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope things go well!

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Well the appointment went pretty well. She had her exam, beak and nail trim, bloodwork and faeces samples have been taken.
The vet said she looked alot better than her last visit so that made me feel a bit better.
She is going to call me the end of the week with the results.
Oh and for you reptile lovers, this came in while I was waiting.
It kept trying to get down and slither along the floor. Luckily the lady had a good grip.

Attachments

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I ain't afraid of no snakes LOL unless they are venomous. I'm glad Dolly's appointment went well..

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I ain't afraid of no snakes LOL unless they are venomous. I'm glad Dolly's appointment went well..
Thank you.
The woman was sitting kitty corner to me and we were having a conversation about her snake then it tried to come near me with it's tongue flipping in and out. She said he was looking for food. Well sorry but I'm not on the menu.
THEN she asked me to watch him while she ran to the bathroom. And left before I could answer her.
So here's me sitting watching this anake trying to get out of the pillow case. It's body weight was shifting so much that I thought the basin was going to fall on the floor.
Thank god she came back before I started having a panic attack.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
So I was told I would have the results Thursday or Friday. Still waiting. I am so mad. I have been calling her since Friday to be told "Sophie has it on her calendar to call you".
That was Friday. No call. Then this morning I called and was told she was in a meeting but she will be calling you today. 4pm here now and still no call. I just phoned and was told she will get Sophie (the vet) to call me. I said this is the 3rd time I've heard that. She apologized and said Sophie would DEFINITELY call me today. So now I get a call from her assistant to tell me today is Sophie's day off, but she will make sure she calls me tomorrow morning.
I am about to blow a gasket.:tmsmakesme:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So I was told I would have the results Thursday or Friday. Still waiting. I am so mad. I have been calling her since Friday to be told "Sophie has it on her calendar to call you".
That was Friday. No call. Then this morning I called and was told she was in a meeting but she will be calling you today. 4pm here now and still no call. I just phoned and was told she will get Sophie (the vet) to call me. I said this is the 3rd time I've heard that. She apologized and said Sophie would DEFINITELY call me today. So now I get a call from her assistant to tell me today is Sophie's day off, but she will make sure she calls me tomorrow morning.
I am about to blow a gasket.:tmsmakesme:
Ugh that is so frustrating! I really hope that she will finally get back to you tomorrow!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Deep breath.......

Let's hope it's relatively good news since she didn't call immediately!!!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Hopefully the vet will call you soon

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Well after being told she would call me at 10 am I called them at 1pl to find out Sophie was "on break" and would call me in 15 minutes. 3/4 of an hour later she finally called me and said she had tried calling me yesterday and today which was bull but she shut up when I told her that her assistant had no problem reaching me. :shake:
Anyways the faeces swab came back as normal, healthy, no sign of parasites.
The blood work came back that she has a high fat content, which would be understadable (from her seed diet) which is why she is eating more pellets and greens now.
She also stated she is hormonal now and asking if she had laid any eggs. Not since I've had her, as she should know, but she said moving forward we should do an endoscopy. She said to make sure there are no blockages. I asked if she was eggbound but she said the endoscopy would show that.
So now she wants another 800-900 pounds up front for that. Is it just me or does this sound a bit strange? Do all birds not get hormonal???
When I asked about her chest being fuzz, instead of feathers, again she told me the endoscopy would show anything.. She had previously told me the blood work would show that. :angel1::think1:
She told me she did a thorough exam but didn't notice Dollys new feather on her mangled wing. It sticks out like a sore thumb in a good way. That tells me her wings might regrow. Wishful thinking, but possible.
When I asked her again about Dollys weight she said "around 210g"
"Around"???? I don't think she weighed her or doesn't take notes.
I am more stressed and frustrated than ever.
Can anyone make sense of this for me please? I have a headache from all this.
@Mizzely, @Hankmacaw or anyone else with experience please.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would also be frustrated with that. Unless there is some indication of being egg bound, I'm not sure what she is hoping to get out of the scope?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
JMHO I think I would find another avian vet. This one sounds a little strange. Doesn't know the weight of the bird, wants to do endoscope without explaining why or justifying why. Nope. JMHO

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The first non=invasive step for determining whether a bird is egg bound, is an xray. That will show any problems.

What did she say about her bloodwork other than the high cholesteral?

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
The first non=invasive step for determining whether a bird is egg bound, is an xray. That will show any problems.

What did she say about her bloodwork other than the high cholesteral?
She said it shows high fat content and she said she's hormonal and asked if she had laid any eggs. When I said not since February since I have had her. She started insisting I get the endoscopy to rule out anything else. She stated that would show ant blockages. Thats when I asked her if she was eggbound. She said the endoscopy would show that. I said okay, apart from that what about her just getting fuzz on her chest, again she stated the endoscopy would tell her.
This doesn't make sense to me, and @rocky'smom I agree. I will not go back to her.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My U2 was egg bound & it showed on the x-ray. She had a huge egg in her. She was given a shot & lubed & was told if she didn't pass it in 36 hours then I needed to take her to Cornell/upstate NY for surgery. Thankfully she passed it. I would request an x-ray before agreeing to an endoscope.

As for fuzzy chest ...an avian vet told me my U2 was like that due to being stuck in high estrogen levels. My option was shots, but one shot turned her into a zombie. She stopped eating, playing, etc., & just sat on her perch or slept. Sadly many of theses birds that pluck, nip, etc., their feathers, tend to be overloaded with hormones. They can't do what nature tells them to do, so they destroy their feathers trying to deal with all those hormones that aren't getting used.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
She did say that the feather issue could be due to hormones. I asked her if there was anything I could give her and she did suggest the shot I believe you're referring to, but she said that would only be a temporary fix.