• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dolly stressed out

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Yesterday was hubby's birthday, and just as we finished eating dinner, his daughter called to say she was coming over with his gift. He wasn't sure if she was bringing the kids with her or not. I prayed not. They are terrors lol.
I said to hubby watch Dolly as soon as she hears Jodie's voice.
Right on schedule Jodie walk in and sits on the couch with her dad.Dolly came bombing down her cage with her full crest, screaming at Jodie. Frankie (macaw) heard the commotion from the kitchen, so I went through to calm him down. Job done, i go back to see hubby runnung around the living room trying to catch Dolly who was mindset on getting Jodie. Jodie was standing on the couch trying to avoid Dolly getting near her. It was utter chaos. I managed to get Dolly and put her in her cage while she was still acreaming the place down. After about 5 minutes of non-stop screaming, I ended up covering Dolly.
Normally that would quieten her and calm her down, but not this time. Meanwhile Frankie must have sensed Dolly panicking, so he started screaming. I spent the next hour back and forth between Dolly and Frankie trying to keep them calm.
Meanwhile Jodie and hubby sat chit chatting. Then Jodie says to me "Why does she hate me?"
I reminded her that when we first got Dolly she teased her ,calling her, and patting the top of the chair and clapping her hands and laughing. Dolly went after her then but just missed. And today, over a year later Dolly remembers that. I told her if I hadn't managed to pick Dolly up, she would be in a world of hurt.
Now I know some will say birds don't have the emotions to "hate", but I can honestly say my Dolly "hates" hubby's daughter, and she has a very good memory.
Dolly, meanwhile was having a 'too attitude and yelling at me for a good 5 minutes. I think I heard a curse word in there, but she was livid.
Once Jodie was gone, peace and quiet was restored with lots of loving for Dolly and an extra hour out of cage time before bedtime.
No wonder I cringe when she comes over (sigh)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I also believe they remember and hold grudges.
Chaos as a baby had his tail sat on by one of my daughters when she was quite young.
He panicked, yelled, jerked a way and lost his tail feathers.
She laughed, I think mainly through a panicked excitement, not from any mean place.
But she also never tried to comfort him or apologize, and ever since he's never trusted her.
They do hold grudges.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Bebe has held a grudge that didn't even involve me. He will be very good and his hears kids in apt hallway or outside. I can plan on nasty bite.
He came from a house of chaos 5 kids, the oldest was 17, the four young ones were under 8 /9 yrs old and younger. Poor Bubba's cage sat on floor where those kids could bang on his cage. Those children voices just set him into panic mode.

Aviphile

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
DeeDee
Poor Dolly, what a traumatic ordeal. Sounds like his daughter should bring Dolly something very special when she comes to visit.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Even animals with less intelligence don't forget being teased! It's hard for me to understand people who tease animals ! Only a toddler would I excuse , and take it up with parents!

Definitely it's not to late to educate the young lady ....

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Even animals with less intelligence don't forget being teased! It's hard for me to understand people who tease animals ! Only a toddler would I excuse , and take it up with parents!

Definitely it's not to late to educate the young lady ....
I agree. I literally cringe when I know she is coming over, and when she does, I warn her not to go near Dolly. Luckily, she is scared of her now. Dolly will lunge at her if she so much as walks past her cage. Jodie is lucky Dolly can't fly....yet!
Jodie is absolutly petrified of Frankie and won't go in the same room as him, which suits me fine.
I don't think people realize that when they tease an animal, it may have repercussions.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I had a ccat that my son use to torment when he came over and one day when he was saying good bye the cat named Sketch slapped him a good one and raked the inside of his upper arm ..I warned him but he didnt listen so the cat told him again ..they remember and do hold a grudge :cool:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Dobby always had it in for my mom when she was around. He would fluff and bluff and threaten and she bat at him like go away which just made it worse. I think it was because he remembered his favorite gramma was different after she had a stroke so he was afraid of her and mom probably looked like her is my guess. Dobby has never reacted like that with anyone else new to him so far, He immediately starts doing all his best whistles and noises showing off and wanting to meet them.
You betcha they remember things forever whether it's something you did or you just remind them of someone they don't like for whatever reason. There are videos of birds and other animals seeing people they have loved many years later and they greet them like old friends and do things together like they never left them.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I don't think people realize that when they tease an animal, it may have repercussions.
My brother used to rough house my German shepherd puppy. I warned him repeatedly that the dog would grow up and remember. Years later I saw my brother on a motorcycle frozen behind a gate.... the shepherd staring him down from the other side. They do remember....

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Is Dolly alright now?

How very sweet of you :) My life is a disaster and I am not even kidding....
Aww she is good now thanks. She pulled a feather out the other night after the daughter was here, so I stopped the bleeding and cleaned it with some antiseptic. My poor little girl was really stressed. I told hubby to go to her house from now on.
How are yòu doing Deedee? How's your new addition settling in?
I can't wait to see pics of your flock when ýou get time. No rush. I know you've got alot going on xx

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Dobby always had it in for my mom when she was around. He would fluff and bluff and threaten and she bat at him like go away which just made it worse. I think it was because he remembered his favorite gramma was different after she had a stroke so he was afraid of her and mom probably looked like her is my guess. Dobby has never reacted like that with anyone else new to him so far, He immediately starts doing all his best whistles and noises showing off and wanting to meet them.
You betcha they remember things forever whether it's something you did or you just remind them of someone they don't like for whatever reason. There are videos of birds and other animals seeing people they have loved many years later and they greet them like old friends and do things together like they never left them.
I'm a sucker for watching lions and other wild animals being reunited with people that saved and raised them. It's so emotional seeing the love and hugs that go with it. :)

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
My brother used to rough house my German shepherd puppy. I warned him repeatedly that the dog would grow up and remember. Years later I saw my brother on a motorcycle frozen behind a gate.... the shepherd staring him down from the other side. They do remember....
I bet someone was "pooping" their pants lol

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just thankful I got there in time. (Loved them both)