• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dolly laid an egg

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Okay so I was in the kitchen with Frankie washing the dinner dishes, when hubby screams for me. Dolly had been snuggling with him while I was in the kitchen and laid an egg.

I was going to put it away but I don't want her to lay another to replace this.
So she is in her cage in her hut with it. She wanted to lay on it.
My question is, does anyone know how many are normally in a clutch of cockatoos so I can buy some dummy eggs, or should I wait to see if she lays another one. I read it's a clutch of 2, but not sure.
20221121_200255.jpg

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Is Frankie the dad :heart: it’s a perfect little egg

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I am shocked too. She wasn't showing any signs of nesting behaviour.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
My U2 usually laid 3 eggs. I used the dummy eggs & she hasn't laid any since.
So the next one should be 24-48 hours?
I am trying to get dummy eggs but for speed, I'm not sure if the ones from amazon are specific breed or just generic. Oh my poor little snuggler is worn out and almost fell asleep on my lap earlier.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have neither cockatoos nor hens, but I've read on here that what you can do is boil the egg, let it cool completely, and then return it to her to brood if she is of a mind to do so. It's something you can do prior to getting dummy eggs.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I would choose to boil it let it cool and give it back to her. I believe they usually lay 2 maybe 3 eggs. Might pay to buy some dummy eggs incase this starts up again in the future. If she is being pet or touched anywhere other than head (this includes close body snuggling) then she is probably likely to lay more often than a once off incident.
Being as affectionate as they are is a big downfall for them from what I have read as it encourages extreme closeness to people and many people will allow and encourage the close body contact and snuggling which of course is a huge trigger for hormones which sets off egg laying.
I read she has a hut- this is also a hormone trigger.

Definitely up the calcium intake and try to avoid anything that will encourage her hormones- Warm and mushy food, long daylight hours, hiding holes, snuggling or touching anywhere other than head etc.

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Koko layed a total of seven eggs. It affected her calcium levels so we went with a implant. Our vet used the implant Leuproide, she did lay one or two eggs after the implant but nothing since. She was one determined girl with those eggs. Hopefully Dolly won't be as determined as Koko was :) good luck
Carol

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So the next one should be 24-48 hours?
I am trying to get dummy eggs but for speed, I'm not sure if the ones from amazon are specific breed or just generic. Oh my poor little snuggler is worn out and almost fell asleep on my lap earlier.
Well not always. One time my U2 laid hers a week apart. Hate to say it but you should limit or stop snuggle time. It just promotes hormones.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Well not always. One time my U2 laid hers a week apart. Hate to say it but you should limit or stop snuggle time. It just promotes hormones.
Thank you for the time frame :)
I will definitely cut back on snuggles although I don't want her feeling neglected right now. I will put her on her play stand and get her more involved with her toys. Luckily she has a load of new toys due to arrive within days. :)

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Koko layed a total of seven eggs. It affected her calcium levels so we went with a implant. Our vet used the implant Leuproide, she did lay one or two eggs after the implant but nothing since. She was one determined girl with those eggs. Hopefully Dolly won't be as determined as Koko was :) good luck
Carol
Thank you. I can see why more people just want males lol

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Oh hahah that’s an interesting turn of events haha

Haha for a moment I was invested like ohh a familyyyy. Nope haha sorry I’m like a day behind
me too I thought we were going to get baby pictures