• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Doggie-sitting with budgies

KKBB

Walking the driveway
Hi guys! So this week I have to doggie-sit my cousins puppy for a day. I just had a question, so I let my little feathered friends fly around all day in the living room. The puppy will be in the same space as them. My budgies have a tree which they can perch on and they also sit on the curtains. I just wanted to know what you guys think about them being in the same room. The puppy doesn't bark a lot and he is only 12 weeks old. Do you guys think there is a problem with having them in the same room? Thank you! :)

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd suggest keeping the birds confined to their cage for the day. Not worth the risk to let them out with a puppy that could see them as a playmate & assume he could catch them. All it takes is a few seconds to cause major injury or death.

KKBB

Walking the driveway
I'd suggest keeping the birds confined to their cage for the day. Not worth the risk to let them out with a puppy that could see them as a playmate & assume he could catch them. All it takes is a few seconds to cause major injury or death.
Okay. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I agree with Toy.

I remember someone taking in a shelter dog and it killed their bird. Very sad. Puppies are playful, could easily step on and hurt a bird, even if the injury wasn´t intentional.
Maybe make some nice toys for the birds to play with to occupy their time in their cage for the day :)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I also agree 100%

KKBB

Walking the driveway
I agree with Toy.

I remember someone taking in a shelter dog and it killed their bird. Very sad. Puppies are playful, could easily step on and hurt a bird, even if the injury wasn´t intentional.
Maybe make some nice toys for the birds to play with to occupy their time in their cage for the day :)
That's so sad:( Thank you for telling me. Thanks fr the idea of the toys! Thank you for taking time to reply!:)