• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dog with swollen ear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrystalS

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Crystal
Poor Jack has got a swollen ear.

My Dad was petting him Friday night and he yelped. I looked and looked at his ear but I didn't see anything. Well today (Monday) it is swollen.

I'm so worried.

Everything I have looked at on the internet points to a aural hematoma. I'm so worried.

I will be calling the vet first thing in the morning.

I remember our cat having one when I was a kid. His ear ended up disfigured.

I was just wondering if anyone else had dealt with this in their cats or dogs?

LuvMyBirds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
It does sound like a hematoma so I'm glad that you are taking him to the vet in the morning. Don't feed him anything else tonight or in the morning in case they can repair it early. (He'll have to have anesthesia) I work at a veterinarians and have seen literally dozens of these over the years. Some do scar - most do not if you follow the Dr's directions. Good Luck :)

CrystalS

Real Name
Crystal
Thanks for replying Barbara.

I called the vet this morning and I have to take him in on Thursday morning. They only do surgery on certain days. Will he be ok until then?

We have a problem with Jack. He HATES the vet. I mean what dog doesn't but he hates the ground he walks on. Anyway, I have to go tomorrow after work and pick up sedatives for him so he'll be half drugged when I get there with him on Thursday. I took a vacation day. I was concerned about them getting him out to go pee and what not after surgery so I offered to stay there. We shall see.

I'm going to have them do a head to toe exam on him as well because normally the vet can't even touch him.

I got an estimate of $500.00 but it could be more.

I'm so worried and stressed.

CrystalS

Real Name
Crystal
I've been looking around on the internet and I have seen so many ways to treat hematomas.

I see that some websites are advising against surgery. Some recommend aspirating it and using some steriods and antibiotics. Then I saw about getting a drain put in. Then I saw the one that mentioned "quilt" stitching. I saw some people just said to leave them go.

I don't know what to do. Scaring the crap out of me.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
:hug8: Good luck. I know how stressful it can be having to take your dog in to have surgery.

RandomWiktor

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ren
I probably wouldn't take the advice to leave it be, as dogs with aural hematomas often scratch the affected ear and shake their head about, causing it to get larger and more severe, sometimes to the point where it limits blood supply to the ear's extremity from all of the pressure. My neighbor's dog didn't get her dog's MASSIVE aural hematomas treated for almost a year when the SPCA finally threatened to confiscate him. Half of one of his ears couldn't be salvaged it was so damaged from his constant scratching and head shaking. That being said, it shouldn't be THAT bad by thursday, and your vet can advise you on the best course of action :)

Vega

Real Name
Joni
I had a dog that also developed a hemotoma on her ear. The vet lightly sedated her to open the wound and insert a drain in her ear. I had to clean both sides of the drain 2 or 3 times a day. She was also put on an anti-biotic. Her ear did heal from the drain, but it was "broken". She was a shepherd/husky mix and her ear never did stand up right again. That was ok though, she was still my Vegababy <3

PS have you thought about purchasing a basket muzzle for vet visits? Your pup would still be able to open his mouth to pant, but wouldn't be able to bite.

Last edited:

CrystalS

Real Name
Crystal
Thank you Ren. I have to quit obsessing and looking at pictures on the internet LOL! I will let the vet look at him and go from there.

Joni....Its funny you say that. I purchased a basket muzzle today. I used to have a cloth muzzle for him but he was really good at getting it off. Hopefully this one will do better.

The receptionist explained it to me the best way she could. I will talk to the vet and find out what he plans to do when I go pick up his pills tomorrow.

I'm sorry. I panic way too much. :o:

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
The reason you're finding so much conflicting information is that there are a million and one effective ways to treat it. From what I've read ears will resolve on their own (perhaps with scarring) or with your vet's favorite method if you fix the underlying cause like ear infections, bleeding disorders, or allergies that caused the trauma to the ear in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.