• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dog vs parrot

shutterlove

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rhonda Meyers
I thought about the collar thing. Thanks for your advice. I will try the behaviorist first to see what she says. It’s funny, I had finches for years and the dog totally ignored them. With my Linnie, all I have to do is look at the bird and the dog goes bonkers. Go figure.

M&M Ninja

Strolling the yard
My bird and dogs got along well, although never unsupervised. My TAG used to hang upside-down off the bottom of his door and swing vigorously at our female dog. She would come sit really close to him. When he wasn’t looking, she’d look at him…but the moment he started to give her the eye, she’d look away and pull her ears back nervously. It was hilarious. They could sit like that for 5 minutes. I always wondered if they were talking in animal speak or telepathically. If he happened to fly across the room, however, she’d bark her head off, like suddenly the bird was NOT OKAY. (Both our dogs are herding dogs so they have their own ideas of acceptable and unacceptable behavior.) The male dog always ignored the bird, and to this day, pretends the female dog isn’t there.

I agree with the previous comments – supervision is a must and it sounds like the dog would benefit from some training. Just like your bird, you can shape and reinforce the behavior you prefer.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Re clipping. My birds came to me clipped and I'm letting them grow back their flight feathers. I haven't had any accidents with my lovebird flying, she adjusted to her space as her skills improved. I honestly feel she's safer flighted since I have cats. My cobalt linnie, Caspar, has all his flights back now but has yet to really take a flying leap. I haven't figured out how to convince him to try it. Plus being flighted is best for them mentally and physically. Linnies can become overweight since they're little piggies and being flighted adds exercise.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Dona: Thank you. I will call her today. Your Gigi is beautiful. I guess Rascal is an olive green but I like the dark green color better. I am impressed that Gigi eats healthy veggies. I’ve tried broccoli and green beans and carrots but Rascal throws them out of his dish. He likes eggs, turkey breast and apples are his favorite. I do make a birdie bread that has some seed, millet and broccoli in it. Of course he likes bad stuff too like pasta. I guess he is just a spoiled child.
Try the broccoli stems. I clip a piece in with a claw type hair clip and my boys destroy it. They don't really care about the top though. Bell peppers are also a favorite.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I have raised my cockatiel in an RV since rescuing him a little over two years ago. He was only 19 days old and it was a matter of life and death for him. In my RV are also two dogs. When I first got TD, my fiancee, myself and our two dogs had just given up our apartment to try rv'ing for several different reasons. We were living in a 30 year old, 26' RV. It had no separate bedroom. We had not expected to get a bird. For over a year I raised TD in it.

Obviously, the dogs were in close proximity to TD almost all the time. Heck, we were all in close proximity to each other almost ALL the time...especially during bad weather. Somehow, we managed, but let me stress that we took every imaginable precaution to insure that the dogs and TD were never together if TD was out of his cage. When he was a baby being hand fed every two hours I sat hunched over in the over the cab bunk as the dogs couldn't get up there on their own. Otherwise, the dogs had to be taken outside. Even though we are now in a 33' RV with a separate bedroom in the rear, we do this still. During transfer of TD from his home on the dining room table (I haven't had a table in over two years....ugh!) to the bedroom, the dogs go outside...until our double door set up is in place if the weather is bad...otherwise they stay outside. I don't ever want to have to look at one of my dogs differently for doing what a dog does naturally. It's like punishing a parrot for screaming. And, even more, I don't want TD to die.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Rhonda, Gigi was clipped by Brian and in time she has grown back all her flights. She went from kind of hopping here to there, to flying a bit, now she is an expert flyer. BTW she is 18 months old today. I don't feel nervous about her flying. I have done lots to the environment to make it safe for her like putting up tension rods and curtains so she doesn't go into the kitchen. We have blinds on all our windows and a cover on the sofa. She really only goes to certain places in our family room; her cage, 2 chairs, 1 sofa and her play gyms that I put on the coffee table. I carry her to the bathroom for her misting and when we return I get really enthusiastic as we go down the hall, I tell her we are almost there, and then she takes off, turning the corner, flying through the living room and landing on her cage porch. Even sopping wet, she can fly well. I also offer to take her in the kitchen to get her afternoon Nutri-berries and sometimes she comes with me. I know there is a lot of controversy about clipping wings at all, but it worked well for us. As a young bird she stayed close and we got to know each other. Now she is fully flighted and makes most of her own decisions as to where she wants to be. I'm grateful she chooses to be on me often.

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
Hello,

My two cents worth here.

Even if you were to ever have the two of them get along, do not ever let the dog touch the bird as in lick, as dogs have a bacteria I read somewhere that can be deadly to birds. Not sure if them licking the cage is safe, as the birds move around by holding their beaks on the bars sometimes. I am also part of talkparrotlets.com forum and there are multiple warnings on there about birds and doggie saliva..

I had never heard of it till then, not that I have a dog, but good thing to research and make sure of..

All the best!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Not commenting because this thread has disaster written all over it. As dog owners you should, and do, have control over them. Crate your dogs on another floor or in a room with a closed door while your bird is out. TELL everyone in the house that your bird is loose and the dog(s) MUST remain in a crate. If you can't do that properly then you need to consider giving up the bird or the dog(s). If this sounds harsh it might save you the reality heartbreak when your bird is killed "accidentally" by your dog(s). I'm done. :bash::bash:

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
If you can't do that properly then you need to consider giving up the bird or the dog(s). If this sounds harsh it might save you the reality heartbreak when your bird is killed "accidentally" by your dog(
Amen!

shutterlove

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rhonda Meyers
To Sandra k: Yes you are being harsh since you did not read my email correctly. The bird is NEVER out of the cage unless the dog is outside or in a locked room. I wasn’t trying to get the bird and dog to be best buddies. I was merely trying to get the dog to stop barking whenever I get near the bird cage. You should not be jumping to conclusions without knowing the facts.

monoloque

Moving in
Newbie here. Just signed up. If the dog can be trained, how about a cat? is there any thread discussion related to Cat vs Parrot?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Newbie here. Just signed up. If the dog can be trained, how about a cat? is there any thread discussion related to Cat vs Parrot?

This topic has come up a few times. Cats are predators, it doesn't mean anything is wrong with them, it is just a fact. If you keep both do not let the bird and cat interact. Any small cut or saliva from a cat is highly dangerous for the parrot. Parrots do not have the immunity to interact with cats, even if the cat wasn't encouraged by prey drive.

Cats and birds? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Birds and Cats? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Introducing baby parrot to cat? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The original poster has not returned, but I do not think that she would ever let the dog and parrot interact. My biggest concern would be how difficult it would be for a bird to be barked at constantly. And the people in the house too. Constant barking must wear on everyone.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Constant barking must wear on everyone.
I have a problem barker in my Dusty. He's actually doing ever so much better these past three months or so. It helps that I quit screaming at him to, for the love of God, shut the @#! up (bcuz it does wear on you). Five years of that, never worked, but I, the intelligent being, kept trying the same thing expecting a different result as they say. Pure insanity. Teaching him what we actually wanted when we say the word quiet and constant positive reinforcement is working much better.

Lupen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaitlyn
People think Im crazy that birds squawking doesn't bother me; just listen to dogs for years and it explains that. It really does wear on you... Thank god my current don't bark TOO MUCH and when they do Zephyr out-noises them and shuts them up real quick. :p