• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dog Toys & Ropes for Parrots

lisazartsi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lisa
Hi friends! :)

I'm about to adopt a young pineapple GCC (see attached for cute baby pics) in a few weeks and I'm wondering if dog and/or cat toys and ropes are safe toys for parrots? I'm thinking something like this. I've had dogs my whole life and I know how durable their toys can be. I'm thinking they'll likely last longer than the ropes made specifically for parrots, and they're cheaper!

Should I avoid this due to health concerns? Do any of you use these kinds of toys in your cages/play areas?

7.jpeg 6.jpeg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm wondering if dog and/or cat toys and ropes are safe toys for parrots? I'm thinking something like this.
But what will your bird do with these?
They are too big to be played with, and chewing on ropes is not something to really encourage.

Rope perches, boings etc are great to introduce variety for your birds feet, but I think you should look in another direction for toys :)

lisazartsi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lisa
But what will your bird do with these?
They are too big to be played with, and chewing on ropes is not something to really encourage.

Rope perches, boings etc are great to introduce variety for your birds feet, but I think you should look in another direction for toys :)
Good point, I should have mentioned they'd be used more for perches and climbing around on rather than for chewing (hopefully)! Just wanted to make sure if birdy (haven't named it yet!) does decide to chew them that they'd be safe.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If it were a long piece of rope you could hang and attach then yes, but I don´t see these knots working well.

Are you in Canada? (The amazon link is Ca) Maybe have a look at Rope Products

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you're in Canada, maybe try Oliver's Garden bird toys. I've an order pending with them. She seems really up on knots & the rope toys are beautiful & made for birds.

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I have a rope dog toy for Astro because she loves hanging off things. It is a toy that she dangles on. I watch for chewing [she doesn't] and I have this toy outside where she is supervised because of the possibility of the strings catching her toe.

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
Yes definitely get bird toys too but there’s nothing wrong with dog toys as long as they’re not scented, not harmfully dyed, and of course as long as the dog hasn’t played with it.