• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dog run as indoor caging?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't know how large of a macaw you have, but a larger bird (like a Greenwinged ) could snip through the wire quite easily.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I had one of those. We never used it as they could put their heads through the bars. Especially where the sides meet. They were also so cheap that some of the bars were not welded.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Doesn’t show the bar spacing anywhere on that site but just from the picture it’s way too wide spacing.

ParrotJunkie

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anna Davis
I had one of those. We never used it as they could put their heads through the bars. Especially where the sides meet. They were also so cheap that some of the bars were not welded.
That’s disappointing:( I Spoke to people that use this no problem after speaking with that one youtuber. I’m still skeptical though.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I've known several people to use these. It really depends on the bird: some birds climb around on perches, play with toys, and ignore the bars. Others will make it their mission to destroy the bars. Also, as others have mentioned, they are not all of the same quality, and almost all of them will require some MacGyvering.

ParrotJunkie

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anna Davis
I would take anything from youtube with a grain of salt. Having a camera doesn't actually make anyone an expert.
haha true that! I have seen some very questionable content from some "bird" youtubers

ParrotJunkie

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anna Davis
I've known several people to use these. It really depends on the bird: some birds climb around on perches, play with toys, and ignore the bars. Others will make it their mission to destroy the bars. Also, as others have mentioned, they are not all of the same quality, and almost all of them will require some MacGyvering.
Oh yea I met this Greenwing and it didnt matter how many toys this bird had as soon as it was in a cage it would try to pry the bars off hehe.

KhanKrazy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashley
I wanted to give this a shot. So I did.

I had my friend bring her Macaw over and we experimented for a few hours (supervised the whole time). Benny (her Macaw) is a 22 year old B&G. He snapped through the wires in an hour, and he could completely stick his head through within 20 minutes (and he had a lot of fun doing it... yelling peek a boo every time he stuck his head out) yeah... I wouldn’t advise it. I guess it’s possible with the right sized panels? But I’d rather just spend the money on an XL cage or on bird proofing an entire room. Fun idea. But in practically? Failed. At least for a Macaw

ParrotJunkie

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anna Davis
I wanted to give this a shot. So I did.

I had my friend bring her Macaw over and we experimented for a few hours (supervised the whole time). Benny (her Macaw) is a 22 year old B&G. He snapped through the wires in an hour, and he could completely stick his head through within 20 minutes (and he had a lot of fun doing it... yelling peek a boo every time he stuck his head out) yeah... I wouldn’t advise it. I guess it’s possible with the right sized panels? But I’d rather just spend the money on an XL cage or on bird proofing an entire room. Fun idea. But in practically? Failed. At least for a Macaw
Yea I think im going to go with one of those double macaw cages instead.

Itsr2r

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tracy
I built an 8x10x7 with a 5x5 attached extension about 5-6 years ago and have had up to 8 macaws in the larger side at once with absolutely no damage to it. It all depends on the bird. I also use some of the panels as a secondary outside aviary.