• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dog proof trash can suggestions please!

Musiclady

Moving in
Real Name
Heather
We had both a husky and Border Collie, both very smart in opening trash cans. What I finally did was get a "window alarm" and put it on the trash cans lid. When they tried to open it up, the alarm went off and the dogs never touched it again. As a matter of fact they would look at the trashcan for about 2 weeks after it happen. Lol

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I think I may have finally found a solution. :fingerscrossed:

I found a 16 gallon trash can instead of the usual 13 gallon kitchen bin. It's 30" tall (our current one is about 22") and according to Amazon reviewers, is about 12 1/2" around at the base, so I'm going to put two 12" pavers inside. That should make it heavy enough to keep them from tipping it (20-30 lbs when empty), tall enough to discourage grazing, and still have enough room to use the regular 13 gallon bags! :dance5:I opted for the open top since the swing top will either get food stuck to the backside of the flap or it'll come off anyway when my two darling dolts get their heads or paws in it like @Shezbug mentioned. :roflmao:

Thank you @Destiny and @Mizzely for the idea about adding weight to the bottom. I think that will be what finally does the trick for us. :angel1:

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
That’s one fancy looking bin @faislaq

My current dog never bothers at all with the bin no matter what yummy smells might be coming from it- she’s awesome for never ever scrounging for food from anywhere, she’s really dopey as anything but such a wonderfully sweet friendly gentle cuddle bug.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
That’s one fancy looking bin @faislaq

My current dog never bothers at all with the bin no matter what yummy smells might be coming from it- she’s awesome for never ever scrounging for food from anywhere, she’s really dopey as anything but such a wonderfully sweet friendly gentle cuddle bug.
Really? Must be nice! I'm pretty sure Nomi just finished off the rest of a bowl of Buc-ee's Beaver Nuggets that were on the dining table while I was in the other room. :bored:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Really? Must be nice! I'm pretty sure Nomi just finished off the rest of a bowl of Buc-ee's Beaver Nuggets that were on the dining table while I was in the other room. :bored:
Omg! They sound seriously yummy.... I would probably pinch them too if they were left unattended :D
Although it is honestly awesome that Suzie does not scrounge for food there are other things she does which are just as annoying!

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
They make a child proof strap, sometimes used to keep toilet lids locked in place. We used on on our trash can to keep the toddlers out, and their fingers could not release it. We put it on a step can/flat lid. Wouldn't open if tipped over.
looks like:
1631588652423.png 1631588756101.png

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I ordered those but had no luck. I put one end on the wall, the other on the trash can; one on each side to keep them from knocking it over. They just removed the lid. :shifty: Had the bin been taller or our dogs shorter I think it would have done the trick!

Locking lids won't work here because trash will pile up on the counter near the bin for me to discover and rant about. Locked lids are also less helpful when you have your hands full of mess, so I'm hoping the taller, open-top will work for us. :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
We had that problem with our cats. I had my brother make me one. It has a small furniture dolly for the base so we can easily move it around. For the sides and top he used wainscoting. The thing is solid wood. The cats can't tip it, or lift the lid. It is huge however. It needs a 30 gallon trash bag. Funny thing is when cooking it kinda becomes a mini island now. We have a kitchen with inadequate counter space. So throw a piece of heavy plastic over the top and instant island. Then when you are done pick it up and dump it in the garbage can.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
We had that problem with our cats. I had my brother make me one. It has a small furniture dolly for the base so we can easily move it around. For the sides and top he used wainscoting. The thing is solid wood. The cats can't tip it, or lift the lid. It is huge however. It needs a 30 gallon trash bag. Funny thing is when cooking it kinda becomes a mini island now. We have a kitchen with inadequate counter space. So throw a piece of heavy plastic over the top and instant island. Then when you are done pick it up and dump it in the garbage can.
I was trying to find a cabinet or end table that was the right size to make something like that from, but a dolly would have been ideal! Could you post a picture? Rc929c4c88336797f503149e58e9f9995.gif If this new teash can doesn't work out, I'm going back to that plan.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Something like this...

View attachment 376550
... with a toddler-poof latch if necessary.

(and be diligent about putting the garbage outside after something especially appealing/smelly is tossed... meat, for example)
I have this. It’s wonderful.

So the dog switched to knocking over the bathroom trash.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Sorry I am late to the party here, but we keep ours in the hall closet. This way it's totally off limits to the dogs. I never throw out anything stinky, meat packages etc. Mostly dry stuff. I do run all things outside to the garbage that are things that might smell.

You'd think my other half would get with it al these years. Worst when he tosses the sub paper in there the oil and vinegar just gross!