• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dog proof trash can suggestions please!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
My poor husband keeps coming home to our kitchen trash strewn about the house by Thing 1 (Nomi) and Thing 2 (Jixny). :banghead: So I'm hoping someone has a suggestion for a dog-proof (or resistant) kitchen trash can.

We've had this kind with the swinging lid in the past:
1616023330643.png 1616023353986.png

And have this style with the press button on top now:

1616023049712.png 1616023096548.png
This works pretty well, but the latch doesn't catch as securely as it used to. I think since it is one solid piece of plastic that maybe it is just worn out?

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
The culprits:
Brendan took.jpg

The little brown one is the brains of this operation. Kinda reminds me of something... :hmmm:
1616024311435.png 1616024511678.png 1616024551449.png

Last edited:

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Something like this...

1616024977708.png
... with a toddler-poof latch if necessary.

(and be diligent about putting the garbage outside after something especially appealing/smelly is tossed... meat, for example)

Last edited:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I was worried that they would just step on the pedal and open it? Has anyone here tried one like it?

(and be diligent about putting the garbage outside after something especially appealing/smelly is tossed... meat, for example)
I know if I put a latch on it, hubby and the kids will just set their trash next to it on the counter for me to throw away. Much like the recycle bin -that doesn't have a latch. :shifty:

And all the "good" smelly trash (fish & meat wrappers, etc) goes out to the trash bin either asap, or is bagged & put in the freezer for me to take out the next morning on my way out.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I know if I put a latch on it, hubby and the kids will just set their trash next to it on the counter
Well, you could try that under-counter style without the latch (works for my dog)...
... and if it continues, then ask your husband if he'd prefer to learn how to use a simple latch, or continue to clean up after Thing 1 and Thing 2. :)

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Very timely as I'm looking to replace ours before our new puppy discovers all its hidden treasures!

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
We keep our kitchen trash in a cabinet under the sink, so it is protected by a solid wooden door.

If you don't have that option, perhaps a metal can with a heavier lid would help deter them?

Trash diving is a hard behavior to discourage. Like counter-surfing, it is very self-rewarding. The more often it is successful, the more determined they will become to keep doing it. So whatever you end up doing, make sure it does the job!

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I think the problem is that they end up knocking it over and if the lid doesn't hold, everything falls out. I wish there was a weighted wastebasket holder I could set it in, or a way to brace it to the wall. Or I could install bird spikes around the edge. :cautious: I'm surprised that trash cans are always so narrow at the bottom. Seems like something that is supposed to hold weight should be more bottom-heavy.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I think the problem is that they end up knocking it over and if the lid doesn't hold, everything falls out. I wish there was a weighted wastebasket holder I could set it in, or a way to brace it to the wall. Or I could install bird spikes around the edge. :cautious: I'm surprised that trash cans are always so narrow at the bottom. Seems like something that is supposed to hold weight should be more bottom-heavy.

Maybe stack a bunch of bricks in the bottom? :D

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
or a way to brace it to the wall
o_O The trash can lives at the end of the cabinets.... How crazy / feasible would it be if I had hubby put a bolt or two through the side of the trash can into the cabinet and fasten it inside the cabinet with a wingnut so I can still take it out and wash it when I need to? I'd still need a better latching trash can, but then the Garbage Pail Kids couldn't knock it over. :hmmm: Most cans are angled, so I might need a bit of a longer bolt, but it could work. Maybe?

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Maybe stack a bunch of bricks in the bottom? :D
:yes4: Kinda what I was trying to think of thinking but not coming up with! :laugh: I'll try dropping a paver in there tonight. That plus a bin with a better lid and that could be the end of it! If that still doesn't work, then I'll see if hubby can bolt it to the wall?

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Something like this...

View attachment 376550

The picture finally came up for me. I wish! :heart::heart: That's awesome! Plus I wouldn't have to look at a trash can! What's not to love? :joyful:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I was worried that they would just step on the pedal and open it? Has anyone here tried one like it?

I know if I put a latch on it, hubby and the kids will just set their trash next to it on the counter for me to throw away. Much like the recycle bin -that doesn't have a latch. :shifty:

And all the "good" smelly trash (fish & meat wrappers, etc) goes out to the trash bin either asap, or is bagged & put in the freezer for me to take out the next morning on my way out.
Yes my last dog could open the pedestal bins, there wasn’t a bin he didn’t get into! The ones with the swing lids worked best for my amusement though as he’d put his head in it and take the lid with him :rofl:

The sort of bin that goes into a cupboard is probably your best bet.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
:yes4: Kinda what I was trying to think of thinking but not coming up with! :laugh: I'll try dropping a paver in there tonight. That plus a bin with a better lid and that could be the end of it! If that still doesn't work, then I'll see if hubby can bolt it to the wall?
That's what we do. That or a few inches of cat litter (helps absorb any leaks as a bonus!) My late cat Jasmine would knock over the trash to wake us up to feed her. :angry101: When Nikolai was younger he would throw random stuff away and then dump the trash to retrieve it :lol:

Bricks or kitty litter fixed that ;)

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
Oooh lots of options. I agree that hiding it away in a cabinet is probably the most attractive and effective method, but that doesn't work in every space! At the dog daycare where I work, we have a couple different solutions. We have a few of the latching ones- they only get latched overnight/during dog naptime to try and balance ease of access for us and limiting access for them :shifty: We also have a few places where we just put eyebolts on either side of the trashcan and use a bungee cord to secure it to the wall to keep dogs from knocking it over. It's supremely ugly but pretty effective! I bet there's a way to finesse the basic idea to make it less of an eyesore.