• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Dog Peopel I need help our horse just kicked our Boxer in the face

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Our Boxer Izzie was running alongside the horse fence (like she does everyday) and the horses got excited and started rearing up at each other and one of the horse's feet came down on the fence and Izzie was right there... I saw it and the fence hit her and she was bleeding everwhrere... I wiped the blood off with my shirt and it is not a bad cut, a little gash and mostly like road rash.....so doesn't need stitches

Of course she won't go near the fence at all, but otherwise she is acting normal. How do I know if she may have a head injury? Maybe she just got cut on the fence (it's that no-climb 2x4 fencing) maybe no impact from the horse

Anyway as soon as I got her in, I called my Vet and her secretary said she is in surgery and would call me when she could.....
So what do I need to watch for.... the emergency vet is about 30-45 minutes away....so I can load her up and take her if I shouldn't wait

Sorry if this doesn't make sense.... I really fall apart when any of my animals has something wrong.....I would know what to watch for in a person but not a dog.....

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
The same things you would watch for in a kid. Dialated pupils, vomiting, lethargy, loss of balance, seizures, blood in the whites of the eyes.

Ginger

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Also hold a treat in front of her face and move it slowly side to side to see if her eyes follow it smoothly with both eyes. Also check her ears for any bleeding. If there's blood in the ears take her in right away. Definitely watch her closely throughout the day and make sure to connect with her vet as soon as she is available and take her in if there is any worrisome change. :hug5:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Ok... so far she seems ok, she is sitting up on her dog bed looking around and seems like her normal self, I will keep a close eye on her and watch for these things......

Thank you so much!! I feel better.....

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Ohh, one of our horses got our older husky a few years back :(
Yep, same thing that Ginger posted. Nausea, lethargy, whites of the eyes, inability to focus, etc. etc.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Oh Dianne poor baby. I would just keep a close eye on her and if she seems sleepy would indicate she maybe had a concussion. Please keep us updated. :hug8:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Ok did the dog treat and she followed it and now she is wolfing it down..... so that's good.... she liked that trick!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Also hold a treat in front of her face and move it slowly side to side to see if her eyes follow it smoothly with both eyes. Also check her ears for any bleeding. If there's blood in the ears take her in right away. Definitely watch her closely throughout the day and make sure to connect with her vet as soon as she is available and take her in if there is any worrisome change. :hug5:
Excellent points!

Ginger

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Awww... so sorry Dianne! Glad she seems to be doing okay!!! :hug8:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
She seems pretty good.... I am the one who seems to have the symptoms, I feel like throwing up!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
:hug8: Poor baby, can you follow a treat with your eyes? :scared6:

Ginger

CosmoKramer

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zach
So sorry! Hope it isnt anything too serious and her cut heals up quickly! :hug8:

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Go get a piece of chocolate and move it back and forth in front of your eyes... Are they following it? Good :p
Just kidding. I bet your pup will be just fine. I've seen dogs get plowed by cars and be okay :)eek:)!!!
When I was a kid, we had a very unruly dog that did like to wait with us while we were waiting for the bus. One winter we were out there, and a snow plow came by. Dog decided it would be a wonderful idea to try to chase said snow plow. As the snow plow passed, snow being thrown into the ditch, we see the dog get in the way and dog went flying into the ditch along with all the snow :scared3:
She ended up being just fine, but man, a sight I never thought I would see, nor do I want to see again :faint:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
:hug8: Poor baby, can you follow a treat with your eyes? :scared6:

Ginger

:hehe::hehe::hehe:
I am feeling better now that she seems ok.....

Thank you all. I panic when it comes to my babies and I am so happy that I know you guys are always here!:heart::heart:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Go get a piece of chocolate and move it back and forth in front of your eyes... Are they following it? Good :p
Just kidding. I bet your pup will be just fine. I've seen dogs get plowed by cars and be okay :)eek:)!!!
When I was a kid, we had a very unruly dog that did like to wait with us while we were waiting for the bus. One winter we were out there, and a snow plow came by. Dog decided it would be a wonderful idea to try to chase said snow plow. As the snow plow passed, snow being thrown into the ditch, we see the dog get in the way and dog went flying into the ditch along with all the snow :scared3:
She ended up being just fine, but man, a sight I never thought I would see, nor do I want to see again :faint:
Oh Wow!! I probably would have had a heart attack!! Poor pup!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Glad she's doing ok, Dianne. It sure does take a lot out of us though. I would have had to have the whole candy bar to calm down! :hug8:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Just talked to our Vet and she said you guys gave awesome advice..... she wants to check Izzie this afternoon just to be safe cuz she will be out of town this weekend.....

I have to run a couple of errands (drive thru bank and pharmacy) so I will bring Izzie with me since I want to watch her and I won't have to leave her alone in the car!

Thank you everybody!!!
I will update when we get back from the vet.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
poor doggie...poor you!!! prayers for you both!! keep us posted please!! :hug8:

avianantics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
Scary stuff, but seems like she is doing okay. She may be fence shy for awhile, but that may not be a bad thing. Keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.