• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dog park advice?

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
So we've started taking Roxie to the dog park, it's got 2 nice big fenced-in areas for the big dogs (and a separate area for the small dogs). It's out in the country, with lots of space to run.

I would like to know if anyone has any tips to make a trip to the dog park more enjoyable. I know the obvious stuff, like keeping your dog away from the gate, cleaning up after your dog, watch your dog. I got that stuff.

Is there anything you have found to be helpful on your dog park trips? And does anyone have suggestions on how to let other people know that Roxie isn't as scary as she looks? The last time we went, none of the other people wanted to come into the area we were in, and no-one would let their dogs even come by the fence where Roxie was.

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
Sorry I can't help as not a dog park person. My mini aussie is afraid of people and other dogs so would not work for me. I hope someone on here can help you.

Ribbit21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
Make sure you know the rules and your dog can be reliably recalled. The best way to encourage other owners to let their dog play with yours is to show you have control over her. If I saw that an owner could call a dog from across the park and it would actually come I was impressed. I would often watch the park for 15 minutes before I would bring my dog in. I wanted to see owners keeping an eye on dogs and having control over them.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
My dog just likes to sniff around the dog park *OR* follow the little dogs... or the anti-social dogs. Hardly any interest in playing with other dogs... even when said dogs are right up in his face *TRYING* to get him to play! He's a 65 lb large husky... same size as my previous dog that weighed 75-80 lbs and was akita mix. When I say large, I mean he's bigger than all siberian huskies that we've come across! But he's not malamute sized. There's actually a full bred malamute that goes to one of the parks that's shorter than my dog is! But although shorter, he (malamute) is bigger boned. Just, wider. Wider body, wider snout... then again, the mal is still rather young so he could get taller over time? My dog is about 25" at the shoulders.

My biggest issue with him is people thinking he's a wolf or part wolf... having seen wolf "hybrids", I can say he's not part wolf! But he does have wolf coloring!

He will play with dogs though if we are at home... for hours. Just not at a dog park.

If Roxie likes to play with toys and will play with toys while at the park (and isn't toy aggressive), then maybe playing a game of fetch with her would help?

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
If Roxie likes to play with toys and will play with toys while at the park (and isn't toy aggressive), then maybe playing a game of fetch with her would help?
We actually took her to the dog park a couple of days ago, but no-one else was there. So I tried throwing a tennis ball for her, she didn't give two hoots about that. She just wanted to sniff around, lol.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
We actually took her to the dog park a couple of days ago, but no-one else was there. So I tried throwing a tennis ball for her, she didn't give two hoots about that. She just wanted to sniff around, lol.
Same problem with my pup! LOL He'll fetch at home, and it's freakin adorable when he goes chasing a ball or bringing it back and he's got his tail up high! And it's foofie, so it's got a 'bounce' to it each time he steps! But at a park? He could care less about toys! LOL Granted, I haven't tried taking any of *HIS* toys to the park... but I mean, if he doesn't show interest in other dogs toys, I don't think he'd be interested in his own...

Also... I was told he was food and toy aggressive. He's about 4 1/2 years old (as per his microchip) and I've had him since January. At most, I've seen him be possessive... not aggressive. He's a husky, so not finishing his food in one sitting is completely normal! Not eating enough to maintain weight? Also normal. But if a cat goes over to his dish, he'll get upset and go over and start eating more food. However, once he reaches is "fill", he loses interest and wont care after that point. Watched another dog and had them eating right next to each other! (seemed to help him to eat more food...) Again, no aggression. Granted, the other dog was eating in his kennel... but still. The other dog had his own toys - they played with them without any aggression. If anything, the other dog *SOUNDED* more aggressive while playing and rough housing, but they got along just fine!

So I guess in short, not really of much help! :lol:

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
One of our dogs (border collie) is so antisocial! She completely and utterly ignores other dogs and if they are pushy she will run away from them with her tail in between her legs. If they continue chasing her for more than a few minutes she gives a warning growl.

The only dog she likes is Reggie (my dog) who she grew up with.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Firstly, are you sure your dog isn't dog aggressive? Have you tried having her play with other dogs she doesn't know that are her size and you know that she plays well with complete strangers because she has done so on multiple occasions in the past? If so, you might try approaching some people that are at the park while your's is on leash and asking if you can let your dogs introduce themselves to each other. If it goes well, then maybe you can ask if they mind if you off leash her. I have seen people at the dog park with their dog leashed for just that reason. I've have people tell me their dog is a complete idiot and while not aggressive, he still an idiot. I agreed to allow an off leash play time and my dog got body slammed and thought it was very rude, but it wasn't a horrible experience. Sometimes, people know their dog and are just there to socialize it.

Personally, dog parks make me nervous. A lot of people don't really have control over their dogs or know what their dogs will do in different situations. I worry about bringing a ball to the dog park because mine takes fetch very seriously. Without a ball, and no tall grass and rabbits to sniff out, the whole thing is pretty boring and he'd rather avoid other dogs. With a ball, he's annoyed by other dogs that might want his ball or get in the way of getting the ball. We only go to the dog park in the spring when the hunting season is over and woods are full of ticks. Once it warms up enough for the ticks to thin out, then we hit the woods again with the ball, or practice tracking a rabbit skin or quail scent. You may need to ask yourself what drives your dog. I have a hunting dog, so if he's outside, he wants to hunt. Even if its just practicing the skills. My sheltie mostly just tags along for decoration, but a lot of herding dogs would be all about obedience training, agility, herding work. Something that makes them work their brain. Without a job to do, mine are pretty bored by the dog park. We have the most fun at the dog park when no one else is there.

Would a rott be interested in cart pulling type of work? Maybe instead of the dog park she can pull you on roller blades.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine

Would a rott be interested in cart pulling type of work? Maybe instead of the dog park she can pull you on roller blades.

Be very careful having a dog pull you on roller blades. I was clocked at 25 miles per hour on roller skates being pulled by my Siberian Husky .

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Make sure your dog is up to date on all his shots. There's a lot of "crap" floating around the dog park. If your dog is going to catch something, that's where he'll get it.

It's always somebody else's unruly dog that causes problems. Keep an eye on your dog.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)

Be very careful having a dog pull you on roller blades. I was clocked at 25 miles per hour on roller skates being pulled by my Siberian Husky .
Yeah, I've already been slammed into the ground by a rott (like when my mother decided it was a good idea for a 4 year old to take a 125lb rott for a walk), don't wish to repeat the experience.

Make sure your dog is up to date on all his shots. There's a lot of "crap" floating around the dog park. If your dog is going to catch something, that's where he'll get it.

It's always somebody else's unruly dog that causes problems. Keep an eye on your dog.
Yes, she's up to date.

Firstly, are you sure your dog isn't dog aggressive? Have you tried having her play with other dogs she doesn't know that are her size and you know that she plays well with complete strangers because she has done so on multiple occasions in the past? If so, you might try approaching some people that are at the park while your's is on leash and asking if you can let your dogs introduce themselves to each other. If it goes well, then maybe you can ask if they mind if you off leash her. I have seen people at the dog park with their dog leashed for just that reason. I've have people tell me their dog is a complete idiot and while not aggressive, he still an idiot. I agreed to allow an off leash play time and my dog got body slammed and thought it was very rude, but it wasn't a horrible experience. Sometimes, people know their dog and are just there to socialize it.
She is not aggressive, and honestly, I'm kind of insulted that you seem to think she is. She has interacted with many dogs (although never off leash) and she tends to be timid. However, if another dog tries to pull something on her, she will defend herself. Maybe some people think that's aggressive behavior, I think it's self defense.

Personally, dog parks make me nervous. A lot of people don't really have control over their dogs or know what their dogs will do in different situations. I worry about bringing a ball to the dog park because mine takes fetch very seriously. Without a ball, and no tall grass and rabbits to sniff out, the whole thing is pretty boring and he'd rather avoid other dogs. With a ball, he's annoyed by other dogs that might want his ball or get in the way of getting the ball. We only go to the dog park in the spring when the hunting season is over and woods are full of ticks. Once it warms up enough for the ticks to thin out, then we hit the woods again with the ball, or practice tracking a rabbit skin or quail scent. You may need to ask yourself what drives your dog. I have a hunting dog, so if he's outside, he wants to hunt. Even if its just practicing the skills. My sheltie mostly just tags along for decoration, but a lot of herding dogs would be all about obedience training, agility, herding work. Something that makes them work their brain. Without a job to do, mine are pretty bored by the dog park. We have the most fun at the dog park when no one else is there.

Rotts are working/herding dogs. They were first used to herd livestock, later to pull butcher's carts. When she is outside though, she wants to sniff around. She will ignore everything, she just wants to go find good smells. After she gets bored of that, at the dog park she usually just lays down. Sometimes out in the grass, sometimes by us.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She is not aggressive, and honestly, I'm kind of insulted that you seem to think she is. She has interacted with many dogs (although never off leash) and she tends to be timid. However, if another dog tries to pull something on her, she will defend herself. Maybe some people think that's aggressive behavior, I think it's self defense.
My apologies. That wasn't a stereotyping anti-rott comment. That was my pesky INTP personality type showing itself. Us INTPs don't like emotions unless we have tested the premise they are based on and evidence has confirmed that our emotions are "logical." We are also guilty of being too honest.
I would argue that for their own safety, at least half or more of dogs do not belong at the dog park. Of my 5 dogs I've had in my adult life, only my springer would be a really good candidate for the dog park, my current sheltie is a maybe, but if dogs started playing rough I'd have her out of there asap since she tends to start snapping too hard when she gets over stimulated. My 3 unworthy dogs I loved a lot. They just would have gotten themselves in trouble at the dog park. I had a yorkie that I loved dearly but if another dog approached me, he'd try to square off with it. Our neighbor pulled his whole body out of the mouth of a mastiff when he tried to snap at the mastiff from her lap. Neither the yorkie that snapped first, or the mastiff that reacted aggressively would be good candidates for the dog park. My first sheltie would tend to get defensive and snap if another dog spent too much time sniffing her too close. I never trusted some other random person's dog not to snap back. I would argue that not only did my dog not belong at the dog park in order to keep her safe from herself, but anyone else who thinks their dog might snap back when snapped at first, also should not take their dog to the park. My dachshund puppy is showing all signs of a dog that should not be at the park. He plays rough and it escalates quickly. If it gets too rough he almost can't stop himself from snapping as he's extricating himself from the situation.. Small dogs at dog parks who try to bite off more than they can chew can get themselves killed. Big dogs that do the killing can end up being put down after being declared a dangerous dog. I've known someone who's lab killed a yorkie and was put down by animal control. None of these dogs are bad dogs. But because they are dogs, and not the best decision makers in a litigious society, and for the safety of other dogs, they don't belong at the dog park, based on the behaviors they have shown. Only you know your dog. Taking a dog to the park is a giant leap of faith in the temperament of the other dogs and the judgement of owners you don't know. There are other things my dogs can do other than go to the dog park.