• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dog Kidney Failure- Help!

Winn

Jogging around the block
I use to be a vet tech for 15 yrs and the diet that most vets give out for kidney disease is Hill K/D or Royal Canin for kidney disease ...Best of luck with this :hug8:
Thank you!

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Chicken soup is always the first go-to with sick pets!
I already have a batch in the fridge... chicken, rice, carrots and green beans.
Yes. I agree. For all my cats, they need to drink liquid. It is vital to manage their kidney disease. I boil chicken thighs or you can use bones. Some people boil it once and strain the impurities. You can get as clean as you would like. Me? I just boil chicken down for a long time. Until it reduces a bit, throw carrots, sweet potato in and. Shred chicken, spoon crush veg, pack into 2 pints and put in in the freezer and one in the fridge. Mine can get gelatinous, you can make yours thinner. You can nuke it for literally 5 seconds or add a bit of hot water. They get their wet food, a little broth, chicken, veg. It doesn’t bother their stomach and helps with hydration
No seasoning, garlic, onion or any base that includes a “stock”

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I use to be a vet tech for 15 yrs and the diet that most vets give out for kidney disease is Hill K/D or Royal Canin for kidney disease ...Best of luck with this :hug8:
We use hills. The only problem with prescription is that, yes, they can be hard to get and back ordered. But they keep calling my cat in to be seen before they send out a prescription. I’ve told the vet before…I’m never bringing her in. She is old and doesn’t want to be bothered. They have to give her tests and stuff to see her since it has been a while and it’s still no contact so I have to leave her there. I’m not doing it. I’ve told them, Sophie is going to stay here until she wants to leave. So I need food. Do they think I’m paying the $$$ price tag and selling prescription cat food on Craigslist? Jeez haha

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
In addition to low protein you want to limit the amount of phosphorus in the diet.
My dog was getting Phos Bind mixed in with his food daily.
Some of the articles I've read regarding diets for dogs with kidney failure state that low phosphorus is more
important than low protein. The prescription kidney diet foods are generally low in phosphorus as well as low in protein.

Winn

Jogging around the block
In addition to low protein you want to limit the amount of phosphorus in the diet.
My dog was getting Phos Bind mixed in with his food daily.
Some of the articles I've read regarding diets for dogs with kidney failure state that low phosphorus is more
important than low protein. The prescription kidney diet foods are generally low in phosphorus as well as low in protein.
I'm aware of the phosphorus issue. I lost a "work pup" to kidney failure a while back (one of my jobs is tending to dogs..)
She was 15, so it wasn't a shock that she had health issues. My own pup is 12 so it's not unexpected with him either and he is a larger breed than she ("work pup") was. Larger dogs usually have shorter lifespans.

I hadn't heard of Phos Bind. Thanks for the link. I'll ask my vet about it!

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
Has anyone here tried Dr Harvey's Kidney Health Dog Food? Is it hype or is there something scientific behind the formula?

My 12-year old mixed breed has compromised kidney function. The vet prescribed several medications and recommended he eat low-protein dog food. She didn't recommend a specific brand.
I ordered a sample of Dr. Harvey's to see if he can tolerate it. He has a VERY fickle stomach. The "wrong" dog food causes serious digestive issues. Even doggie treats cause problems for him (vomiting or diarrhea..)

He has a follow up appointment in 10 days to see if his kidneys have improved. If they haven't I will have to make a choice to alleviate his suffering or keep him around for my own selfish reasons. I dread that ultimate decision.

Any input on the Dr Harvey's food or any suggestions as to what I can do to help my pup would be appreciated.

Thanks...
Adding milk thistle and gluthione is helpful as it helps the kidneys. Did your vet also prescribed it fluid for you pup?

Winn

Jogging around the block
My vet prescribed Lactated Ringer's subcutaneous drip once a day. The needle is inserted under the skin, not in a vein. Fortunately my pup doesn't seem to mind the procedure.

Winn

Jogging around the block
Follow-up on my pup..
He had his second vet visit today. His creatinine and BUN levels have improved. His phosphorus level is slightly higher than his calcium level but not alarmingly so. He gained 7/10ths of a pound in 10 days.
The vet refilled his Azodyl and prescribed a multivitamin, and discontinued the Nutrical, the Lactated Ringer's drip, and the Sucralfate for now.
The vet gave me a print-out for homemade "kidney diet dog food" that he said is comparable to Hills Prescription KD. He was pleased with my pup's progress and said I could keep feeding him the "chicken soup dog food" I have been giving him. He also told me that the future is unpredictable so we have to take it one day at a time, but things are looking better for the moment.

Thank you to everyone for the advice and support!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Follow-up on my pup..
He had his second vet visit today. His creatinine and BUN levels have improved. His phosphorus level is slightly higher than his calcium level but not alarmingly so. He gained 7/10ths of a pound in 10 days.
The vet refilled his Azodyl and prescribed a multivitamin, and discontinued the Nutrical, the Lactated Ringer's drip, and the Sucralfate for now.
The vet gave me a print-out for homemade "kidney diet dog food" that he said is comparable to Hills Prescription KD. He was pleased with my pup's progress and said I could keep feeding him the "chicken soup dog food" I have been giving him. He also told me that the future is unpredictable so we have to take it one day at a time, but things are looking better for the moment.

Thank you to everyone for the advice and support!
Fabulous news! I truly hope he continues to improve.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you! He's a tough lil nut!

He was flirting with the vet tech today. She said she never had a dog give her so many kisses while she was drawing a blood sample..:lol:
Man I wish all our patients acted like that! I get far more scratches than kisses when it comes to that.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
So glad he’s doing well :heart:

Aviphile

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
DeeDee
Has anyone here tried Dr Harvey's Kidney Health Dog Food? Is it hype or is there something scientific behind the formula?

My 12-year old mixed breed has compromised kidney function. The vet prescribed several medications and recommended he eat low-protein dog food. She didn't recommend a specific brand.
I ordered a sample of Dr. Harvey's to see if he can tolerate it. He has a VERY fickle stomach. The "wrong" dog food causes serious digestive issues. Even doggie treats cause problems for him (vomiting or diarrhea..)

He has a follow up appointment in 10 days to see if his kidneys have improved. If they haven't I will have to make a choice to alleviate his suffering or keep him around for my own selfish reasons. I dread that ultimate decision.

Any input on the Dr Harvey's food or any suggestions as to what I can do to help my pup would be appreciated.

Thanks...
How is your dog doing? I have some information to share, I don't know how helpful they will be. Fish oils is used in dogs with kidney disease as well as other conditions. I have personally used cod liver oil and salmon oil with very good results but not in kidney health. Also here is a dosing chart that I picked up somewhere but I have no idea where. Good luck!

This article is from the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association

http://www.spes.cl/assets/reference-pets-(cats-dogs-puppies).pdf

Attachments

Winn

Jogging around the block
Thank you. I will check out the article.
I have given my dogs fish oil in the past but haven't used it in about a year.

Digger seems to be doing much better. He is eating well, gaining a little weight and has more energy than he has had in months.
The vet has him on a diet of only 6.9% protein. It's high in carbs and the vet gave him a vitamin supplement. (The vet gave me a recipe to make his food at home.)
The dog food I gave him previously was 24% protein - 21% is the lowest I've seen without a prescription diet and a lot of dog foods seem to be trending towards even higher protein content now (36-42% ).