• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dog Kidney Failure- Help!

Winn

Jogging around the block
Has anyone here tried Dr Harvey's Kidney Health Dog Food? Is it hype or is there something scientific behind the formula?

My 12-year old mixed breed has compromised kidney function. The vet prescribed several medications and recommended he eat low-protein dog food. She didn't recommend a specific brand.
I ordered a sample of Dr. Harvey's to see if he can tolerate it. He has a VERY fickle stomach. The "wrong" dog food causes serious digestive issues. Even doggie treats cause problems for him (vomiting or diarrhea..)

He has a follow up appointment in 10 days to see if his kidneys have improved. If they haven't I will have to make a choice to alleviate his suffering or keep him around for my own selfish reasons. I dread that ultimate decision.

Any input on the Dr Harvey's food or any suggestions as to what I can do to help my pup would be appreciated.

Thanks...

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Hi so sorry you are going through this dogs/pets are our babies
my shar Pei (rescue was a right state when we got him rescue told us to put him on it massive difference in a month) had to have a low protein diet for his skin dr johns sliver was brilliant not sure if you can get it where you are I’ve fed it all my dogs and you can see difference skin coat shine health wise etc
I hope there’s an improvement for him it’s heartbreaking seeing them poorly and having to make that decision we have had to do it twice and to this day We would do anything to have them back really praying for you he turns it around positive vides your way :bighug:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
unfortunately when it comes to kidney disease, there’s not much (if anything) that can be done to reverse effects. There are some foods that can help make some of the symptoms less severe. I would actually recommend the brand Royal Canin - I’ve never had a client that didn’t have good experiences with any of their foods

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I recommend Royal Canin as well,my pup was on that when she had kidney issues.

Winn

Jogging around the block
Thank you. He has already out-lived his parents and all but one of his litter-mates. It's a matter of time, I know.. but I'm not ready to say goodbye to him yet.
I saw this pup being born. I kinda told his owner years later "I'm taking the dog". He was malnourished, wormy, and caged almost all day... He has slept snuggled with me for 3 years.
I'm off to Google Dr John's Silver..:)

Winn

Jogging around the block
unfortunately when it comes to kidney disease, there’s not much (if anything) that can be done to reverse effects. There are some foods that can help make some of the symptoms less severe. I would actually recommend the brand Royal Canin - I’ve never had a client that didn’t have good experiences with any of their foods
Thanks.. researching it!!

Winn

Jogging around the block
I recommend Royal Canin as well,my pup was on that when she had kidney issues.
Looking into it. Not sure how advanced it is right now.
Vet said weeks, months or years until it's critical. It depends on how rapidly it progresses.

Winn

Jogging around the block
The vet prescribed Azodyl twice a day. Two capsules in the morning, one in the evening.
She prescribed Sucralfate twice a day to be given at least an hour after the Azodyl.

Nutrical to be given twice a day..

Lactated Ringers subcutaneous drip bag once a day. (I've done the subcutaneous drip with dogs before ..)

I know kidney function won't be "restored". I hope this drop in function can be slowed.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There are a few prescription dog foods.
Purina NF dry and canned (my vet's preferred food for kidney disease/failure but my dog didn't like it)
Hill's KD dry and canned
Blue Buffalo KS dry and canned
Royal Canin has a few different choices
You could discuss these diets with your vet.

You can text Dr. Harvey's Kidney Health Consultation Line at 848 273-1925. This is supposed to
be a free resource. Give them some information about the issue and the best phone number
they can reach you at. Someone will, hopefully, reach out to you within 5-7 business days.
I tried Dr. Harvey's Canine Health food and my dog sort of liked it. Sometimes would eat it; sometimes wouldn't.
I only purchased a sample so just tried it a few times.
Sending positive thoughts for your dog.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Royal canin is definitely a brand I’d look into if I had a health compromised furry friend. Brilliant food.

Winn

Jogging around the block
There are a few prescription dog foods.
Purina NF dry and canned (my vet's preferred food for kidney disease/failure but my dog didn't like it)
Hill's KD dry and canned
Blue Buffalo KS dry and canned
Royal Canin has a few different choices
You could discuss these diets with your vet.

You can text Dr. Harvey's Kidney Health Consultation Line at 848 273-1925. This is supposed to
be a free resource. Give them some information about the issue and the best phone number
they can reach you at. Someone will, hopefully, reach out to you within 5-7 business days.
I tried Dr. Harvey's Canine Health food and my dog sort of liked it. Sometimes would eat it; sometimes wouldn't.
I only purchased a sample so just tried it a few times.
Sending positive thoughts for your dog.
Thank you. I'm trying to get all the info I can right now.
I kinda knew what was going on when I made the vet appointment.
I know it's just a matter of time, but I want all the time I can get.
I will discuss options in depth with my vet on Nov 3.
My pup is sickly, but still spunky! I'm not quite ready to write him off ...

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Prescription dog food is what I have used.

Winn

Jogging around the block
Prescription dog food is what I have used.
Unfortunately my vet didn't prescribe specific dog food. She did recommend protein content.
Again.. I don't have access to "prescription food" without a specific prescription from my vet. I kinda understand that vets take "kickbacks" from time to time to promote specific products. Sometimes medical professionals ( human doctors) do the same thing.
My vet explained the situation to me in simple terms. She recommended a protein level but didn't try to force a certain "feed" on me.
Honestly this gives me a certain level of comfort to maybe convince myself she hasn't been "bought" by a corporation .
We are "podunk" here. .. rural, not city.
Sometimes that may offer a "cleaner" diagnosis.. one not bought by by the middle man.
I don't know.
I respect the fact that my veterinarian explained that I should find a lower- protein diet for my pup without promoting a "specific product".
Others may choose to view it as "she didn't have a specific answer"... I don't know ...
I'll sleep again tonight with my pup's paw in my hand .

Tomorrow will be a whirlwind of meds and subcutaneous infusion...
I can't give up on him quite yet.
Thanks, Louise..:)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Unfortunately my vet didn't prescribe specific dog food. She did recommend protein content.
Again.. I don't have access to "prescription food" without a specific prescription from my vet. I kinda understand that vets take "kickbacks" from time to time to promote specific products. Sometimes medical professionals ( human doctors) do the same thing.
My vet explained the situation to me in simple terms. She recommended a protein level but didn't try to force a certain "feed" on me.
Honestly this gives me a certain level of comfort to maybe convince myself she hasn't been "bought" by a corporation .
We are "podunk" here. .. rural, not city.
Sometimes that may offer a "cleaner" diagnosis.. one not bought by by the middle man.
I don't know.
I respect the fact that my veterinarian explained that I should find a lower- protein diet for my pup without promoting a "specific product".
Others may choose to view it as "she didn't have a specific answer"... I don't know ...
I'll sleep again tonight with my pup's paw in my hand .

Tomorrow will be a whirlwind of meds and subcutaneous infusion...
I can't give up on him quite yet.
Thanks, Louise..:)
My veterinarian used to not push a specific brand, but would instead say what he felt was best, tell me to go home and do some research myself and then let him know which brand to write the prescription for as he knew that it was not only important that the animal receives the medicated food that they need to live, but also for me to be comfortable with what I was feeding. Your veterinarian will not write a script for a specific food that meets the protein content requirements if you request one?

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I lost a few to kidney disease over the years. My vet told me my dogs weren't in pain, they just didn't feel well. I don't remember what brand of food I used back then, but my vet also told me if they won't eat it to feed them what they would eat. I do remember I could never get any of my dogs to eat Hills brand. You may need to try several brands before uou find one your dog will eat. It may take a few days to a few weeks on meds & diet change to see any difference. Depending on how severe your dogs kidneys are will depend on how long you can keep him going & comfortable. Two of mine lasted 1.5 years & another 4 years. I wish you the best.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Cats are notorious for having kidney problems. In the wild, they get almost all their water from their prey so it’s not natural for them to drink a lot of water. My vet prescribed food, I know you don’t have access to that. With management, Sophie was given about 6 months. They said she had full renal failure, stage 4. Her levels were so high. This was about 2-3 years ago. She’s still with us, deaf but very much still spunky. She rules this house and meows once and my husband shoots out of bed at 4AM :banghead: hoping that you both find some peace while you guys navigate this together. Hoping your pup feels better with some changes to his diet! Lots of water I would recommend, helps to just flush out the system. For my cat, I used to make chicken soup. It was very easy and easily freezable. Don’t know if that’s effective for dogs. But my brother in law had a corgi who was I’ll and had sensitive stomach, he would make her boiled chicken and sweet potato and broth. Just things to think about if your pets appetite decreases in the future.

Winn

Jogging around the block
Chicken soup is always the first go-to with sick pets!
I already have a batch in the fridge... chicken, rice, carrots and green beans.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I use to be a vet tech for 15 yrs and the diet that most vets give out for kidney disease is Hill K/D or Royal Canin for kidney disease ...Best of luck with this :hug8:

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
My cat has been on Hills for three years now and so far he is doing good. No further issues. It can be sometimes hard to get so if you get a prescription from your Vet I would highly recommend you keep a months supply. Lately I have had a lot of my orders canceled due to back order issues. So I always keep a month on hand and then order a little more than a months supply each month.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Chicken soup is always the first go-to with sick pets!
I already have a batch in the fridge... chicken, rice, carrots and green beans.
Is it just a water broth, or chicken stock?