• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dog food seed mix….Kaylor Colorado

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
For those who auto ship like me, be wary of allowing substitutes!

I usually get a bag of Kaylor rainforest conure/lovebird seed mix shipped. $20 for 4 pounds is a decent price in my neck of the woods. Between this and my Volkmans blends, the birds are happy and get a bit of variety for the seed portion of the diet. This is what usually ships, sometimes from Amazon and sometimes from other suppliers:
26733769-80A9-423F-8161-8716DF183ADA.png
Recently, I was asked if a more expensive “Premium” mix could be substituted due to stock shortages. Same brand, Kaylor of Colorado. It’s really hard to screw up a seed mix. Or so I thought. B961FD47-C387-4940-82B2-620D5C43B317.png
241D87ED-A60B-4E42-A761-6F386BBD7EF6.png
And while the peanuts are an iffy thing~ I could see a company having them included for those that don’t worry about them, dog food? I can say this is the first time ever in my life that dog food has been included in a seed mix I’ve purchased.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
That’s crazy, I’ve never seen that before!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'd heard that many years ago dog food was used to increase protein in birds' diets but I didn't think it was done anymore because birds don't get as much from animal protein as plant sources.

Even so, "dog food" isn't very specific. What's in this "dog food"? It is the list of ingredients after all!

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd heard that many years ago dog food was used to increase protein in birds' diets but I didn't think it was done anymore because birds don't get as much from animal protein as plant sources.

Even so, "dog food" isn't very specific. What's in this "dog food"? It is the list of ingredients after all!
I guess I have heard of dog chow being given to chickens now that you mention it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Wow that's unreal!

NightOwls

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe just a typo / accidentally copy/paste ?

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Kaylor is a very good brand, that and Volkman. That's all I carry for budgies, Tiel, Conures, Love birds. :)
I really like their Sweet Harvest blend, and no dog food in that one! But the mix that they have dog food in is their “premium McBride’s mix”. Do you sell the McBrides mix? @Love My Zons

Last edited:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I really like their Sweet Harvest blend, and no dog food in that one! But the mix that they have dog food in is their “premium McBride’s mix”. Do you sell the McBrides mix? @Love My Zons
I do not, just the rainforest and the other ones.