• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dog DNA test kits

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Has anyone used one and have you had success as to what you were looking for? There are a few out there, Embark and Wisdom panel. I am looking to do this with Jett, just because of her fearful at time and aggressive behaviors. I am very curious to know if there is Doberman in her.

I think she might be a Beagleman- Beagle/Dobie mix.

They aren't cheap kits, breed only is around $129, can get one for $115 I may also do breed/health on the Shepherd to know if down the road she is predisposed to any hereditary and or genetic issues.

Any info would be appreciated!

NightOwls

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I have done Embark on my current two dogs.

Embk.me/sassy15

Embk.me/Autumn7

The breed only is often on sale for $99 usd.
The breed and health is often $20 to $40 off - few times a year it might drop down to around $130. Usually the best sell is on chewy, amazon, or petco.

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
I did Wisdom Panel on King Dingo back in, hmm, 2014? The specific test I got was on clearance to make way for an improved version. I don’t necessarily see one of the alleged breeds in him, but either I or the test could easily be wrong.
Around that time I saw some analysis (done by an individual, not official) that showed some very rare breeds were over-represented in test results in a way that just wasn’t physically possible. I can’t find it now, and that issue may very well have been fixed in the improved version.

As I recall the test itself had some suggestions in the instructions for multi-dog households to prevent cross contamination.

I found this article interesting- How Accurate Are Dog DNA Tests? Insights & Challenges | The IAABC Journal
the overview of how the test works is neat but the “Factors That Can Undermine Ancestry Inference” part is probably the most relevant for you. It sounds like the big things to watch out for probably don’t apply in your situation since you don’t suspect ancestry from a super rare breed that isn’t in the database.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Thank you for the info you two. Great read @Chomskypom ;)