• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dog barking controller

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
Hello

I have a dog that literally won’t stop barking
I want to try the bark controllers that let out a noise humans can’t hear but they can.
it works great with my moms two dogs. U just press it quick and it gets their attention.
Does anyone know if it will hurt my IRN?

Thank you

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It may be distressing for your birds as they likely can hear it too.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Personally I don't like those for dogs. It doesn't actually target the problem of the barking, but rather just distracts them or makes them frustrated. Could there be a reason they are barking? Bored, not enough toys, hungry, tired, or maybe even reactivity?
Also, it would probably upset your bird like Mizzley said.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
You can teach your dog not to bark, but I don’t recommend a device.

My dog is my first; I didn’t grow up with or ever live with one prior. She’s also a sheltie & I live in an apartment.

I would tell her no after two barks. If it continued or started again soon after, the no got sterner. The third time was a very clipped no & isolation in a room I wasn’t in. It worked. She doesn’t even bark when someone knocks, but looks at me for direction.

My trainer, whom I wish we’d met way earlier, recommends teaching the quiet command using very high value (cheese or better) to reward compliance.

My method just taught her to bark outside only. His is situational, therefore better.

Do any or all of this at your own risk. My sample size is literally 1, but I figure people back when had much better trained dogs than most nowadays & such devices didn’t exist.

Edited to add that both methods require you to be home. It won’t work if you leave for long periods of time. Also, if your dog is inadequately exercised or mentally stimulated, you can expect barking.

Last edited: