• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does your parrot go through toy phases?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big.Green.Chicken

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
At first KerBear loved toys that hung from the top of her cage. They had to be big enough for her to hang from while she was munching them.

Then she went through a stage where she had to have foot toys. I made and bought all different kinds of foot toys.

Then she had to have light up toys that played music or sang song.

Now she ignores foot toys, and hanging toys and will only chew. It has to be baskets, and she will chew and munch them to bits all day long. She doesn't touch anything else. If her basket is all munched (we buy big ones so it takes a day or two) she will get very loud because she is bored.

Her cage is very large so it is filled with toys. Should we remove all the toys she no longer plays with and just fill it with the toys she likes right now?

Should I just introduce one of each alternative toy?

Does anyone else have a parrot that only plays with one type of toy at a time and ignores everything else?

She threw a birdie tantrum last night and I had to run out special to find something for her to chew up because we ran out. Uhm, no, she isn't spoiled..:rolleyes:

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
KerBear! :hug8: Yes sounds familiar! For the most part Em likes anything he can destroy but right now he loves BEADS! lol. :D So thank goodness for Jan at Blu's Bird Toys! I am still looking for a place in my area to purchase wicker baskets..

Skyler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I have the same "problem" with my sun, Rika. For the most part she loves toys she can shred or that she can knock around during a hissy fit. But the others she's intrigued for a second , plays a minute and then that's it. I try to mix stuff up and sometimes a toy she ignored the first time is played with the third time around.

One toy I leave out for a good long time is the wooden foraging bucket. bad Mom, but I get tired of putting everything back in the bucket endlessly. :hehe:

But even with a toy she doesn't like or play with, I still get the evil eye when I remove it. I guess I forgot to ask permission to re decorate:hehe:

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Yep .. all of my birds for the most part are toy fickle.

They'll have a favorite, so I think "Oh, cool, he/she loves that toy, I'll order more" ...

Sure enough, just because I order several more of the favorite, they no longer want it and move on to something different.

Remember .. it's their world, we're just passing through to accommodate their needs, and the minute we think we've got them figured out, they change the rules to keep us on our toes. :rolleyes: :lol:

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
The problem I have and thankfully it's just with 1 bird and that is billy he doesn't play with toys - It's a very rare occurrence when he does

but give that boy sticks and he'll build til his little heart is content

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
Whew, glad Kerbear isn't the only one.

I went out and bought her wicker baskets and she changed her mind, again!

Now she doesn't want toys at all. She hung upside down like a bat making monkey noise and singing opera all day.

Birds! You guys are right, just when we think we know them they have to change :lol:

Skyler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Whew, glad Kerbear isn't the only one.

I went out and bought her wicker baskets and she changed her mind, again!

Now she doesn't want toys at all. She hung upside down like a bat making monkey noise and singing opera all day.

Birds! You guys are right, just when we think we know them they have to change :lol:
Monkey noises and opera---- I want that on video----:heart::rofl:

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
That would only encourage the big green monster.

I have tried to catch things on video, but they don't always look as good when I download them. If she decides to play Monkey diva of the jungle again I will do my best to catch it for you:D

*K*J*B*

Real Name
Kylee
No phases really. They either love a toy from the start or detest it until I remove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.