• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does your bird smell like beeswax??

Zygodactylous

Meeting neighbors
Hi all,

I have a 1.5 year old male rock pebbler named Peridot, and he often smells like beeswax or raw manuka honey. It’s not all the time, and he’s perfectly healthy according to his board-certified avian vet. I notice it more often when he’s happy and relaxed, and it’s so strong that sometimes it’s the first indication i have that he’s snuck up behind me while i’m busy reading or something. Has anyone else smelled it on their birds? I suspect it may come from the uropygial gland but I don’t know for sure. He eats Harrison’s superfine, greens, fresh veggies, senior nutri-berries, grass hay, and a small amount of healthy table food, fruit, and assorted treats. No beeswax or honey.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Burt gets a fruity sweet smell about him when he’s excited or frightened. I love his smell :heart:
I think from what I have read each species seems to have a different particular scent.... I’m not sure about this just guessing

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Yep! Monaco smells a little like strong honey unless she eats lots of savory things... Then she smells a little bit like doritos...but sweet, it's kinda gross.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Some people, myself included, have noticed that cockatiels may smell like buttered popcorn.

Amazons have a, how shall we say it... a musty scent? Some people will say it even smells like old gym socks. Amazons can actually somehow create this scent when excited so it gets quite strong then.

Can't say I've smells a rock pebbler before...

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Poppers used to smell like a bed of wild flowers...nice scent.
Grey grey smells like a cross between a nut, and some spice.

• Haha
Reactions: Ali

Katcat

Sitting on the front steps
My birds smell like sugar hehe

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Boo smells like baby powder.