• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does you parrot sleep in your room? Out of his cage? What set up do you have?

Jenna87

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jenna
I’m a new GCC mom, he’s a dna tested male and his name is Pluto. He is just the sweetest. He has already bonded well with me. He tries to fly to me, loves to ride around the house on my shoulder and play in my hair, and I just adore him. He’s about 10-11weeks old.on the first night at bedtime I put him in his cage and he clung to the bars trying to get back to me! Broke my heart to leave him! No screaming or yelling at all. I had to stop myself from taking him to bed with me! But I’m not opposed to him sleeping in my room out of his cage. I have no other pets..well just one parakeet who is still scared to come of of his cage. Does anyone here have their parrot sleeping in their room? I don’t want him IN my bed, but I’m happy to have him beside me! What’s everyone’s thoughts? Am I starting a bad habit? I just love him so much. And I love that he loves me. He’s my buddy I don’t want him to sleep alone. Someone help me decide what to do!! Can I put a bird bed by my bed? Is it dangerous for my conure? Thanks in advance!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
My bird sleeps in my room in his cage on the opposite side of the room to my bed so I disturb him as little as possible at night.

I don’t see a problem with you allowing your bird to have a smaller sleep cage in your room- I wouldn’t leave Pluto roaming free though.

My bird is purposely left to his own devices for a few hours each day so he can totally entertain himself (foraging, eating, playing, resting, preening) and he doesn’t rely on me and my company for absolutely everything all day long.

Many people have unfortunately suffocated birds allowing them to snuggle at bed times or allowing them to choose where they want to sleep- sometimes they’ll choose to lay/perch on or next to you or in some other areas of the room that can cause serious harm or even death when they can’t clearly be seen at night... really really bad and dangerous idea to have a bird out of its cage in the dark where you sleep- if it’s a bird safe bird room then that may be slightly safer but I’d still not do it.

You want to raise a well adjusted, friendly, independent, confident bird not a clingy, needy bird... the bird will change as it matures and that will alter the cute clingy behaviour to a possibly territorial, scary or problematic hormonal behaviour. Don’t set you both up for horrible stressful changes- do things in a well thought out way now so there’s not a heap of changes you need to make once hormones kick in and your bird changes from a cute baby to a hormonal teen.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
It's great that Pluto is so loved.

<insert what Shezbug said>
If you have the space, your birds shouldn't sleep in your room, for your safety and theirs.

If they must...
- they definitely should be securely in their cages
- be diligent about keeping their cage clean
- consider investing in an air purifier (your lungs will thank you)

It's also healthy, from a behaviour standpoint, if you teach them them early that it's ok for them to be on their own. This ensures they learn how to play on their own, and don't become overly dependant on you. They need a good level of independence so they grow up well adjusted, and you need that to ensure non-bird activities like going to work or school, socializing outside the home, etc aren't too stressful for your birds when you're not there.

I'd encourage you to think about bird companionship as a long term marathon, rather than a short term sprint, and focus on what's sustainable in the long run.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Our first green cheek was about 4 months old when he came home with us. He sounded so scared when we left him in his cage and went to bed, so we decided to try putting him in his carrier on my nightstand so I could wake up and talk to him or hold him if he woke up scared in the night. I know it goes against advice here, but we didn't know anything about birds or this site back then. We just figured birds are social and live in flocks & that this was a young, frightened bird so we did what we'd do with any young animal. :shrug2: When he sounded scared I used to hold him and sing softly to him until he calmed down, then put him back in his cage. As he got used to his new home and new routine, I rarely had to sing to him more than once, then sometimes just singing was enough. Eventually he slept through the night without issue.

Again, not the advice most knowledgeable birds folks will give, just telling our experience & what worked for us.

As for birds sleeping in the bedroom, our goffins girls have night cages in our room. They're covered by one big blanket so they can see one another and their cages are by my side of the bed. If either wakes up, I hold them for a few minutes then put them back in their cage once they've settled down. It doesn’t happen often, maybe a few times a year, but I feel better knowing they're not unduly stressed.

Last edited:

Luv4Birds

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Maria Hammer
I’m a new GCC mom, he’s a dna tested male and his name is Pluto. He is just the sweetest. He has already bonded well with me. He tries to fly to me, loves to ride around the house on my shoulder and play in my hair, and I just adore him. He’s about 10-11weeks old.on the first night at bedtime I put him in his cage and he clung to the bars trying to get back to me! Broke my heart to leave him! No screaming or yelling at all. I had to stop myself from taking him to bed with me! But I’m not opposed to him sleeping in my room out of his cage. I have no other pets..well just one parakeet who is still scared to come of of his cage. Does anyone here have their parrot sleeping in their room? I don’t want him IN my bed, but I’m happy to have him beside me! What’s everyone’s thoughts? Am I starting a bad habit? I just love him so much. And I love that he loves me. He’s my buddy I don’t want him to sleep alone. Someone help me decide what to do!! Can I put a bird bed by my bed? Is it dangerous for my conure? Thanks in advance!
Let me first preface that this is not my normal practice. I have several birds but one, my Sun Conure Merlin, has bonded to me. When my mother suddenly passed away I had to move to her house to take care of her estate. I took Merlin with me because she would have made everyone's life awful without me. Merlin instantly knew something was wrong and pretty much refused to leave me. I've never been one to lock my birds in at night - I just covered them up. Merlin refused to leave my side. She would sneak out and fly to me every time. The first couple of nights I fell asleep on the couch - so did Merlin. Same when I finally moved to the bedroom. She sleeps on my chest and moves when I move. I don't move around much, if at all, once I fall asleep. I'm used to sleeping on the edge of the bed (finally upgraded to a King yet still sleep on the edge as if I was in our double). Every now and again, I crash out on the couch just so she can cuddle with me. She makes little happy noises when she gets her way. She'll nuzzle me when she feels it is time for me to wake up - usually around 8-ish.
That being said, would I recommend it? Probably not if you toss or turn. My birds all live and sleep in the living room. My Goffin tells us when it is 8:00 pm and it is time for everyone to go to sleep and will not be quiet until I get up, say goodnight, cover them up and turn out the lights. Unfortunately, Merlin holds a very special place in my heart.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Jenna! 1.welcome signs.gif

Shezbug left a great reply :) Be sure you have a cage for Pluto if he´s going to be in your room while you sleep.

It´s also worth taking into consideration your sex life, and would it disrupt Plutos sleep.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I will never have a bird sleep in my bedroom personally. Breathing in bird dander and dried feces can contribute to Bird Fanciers Lung. Being in close proximity with the cage every night for years seems like a recipe for disaster.

Sex life definitely is a concern too... Not only disrupting the bird's sleep but.... Does your bird mimic? :rofl:

Birds are the most accident prone group of pets on the planet I think. :lol: You can wrap them in bubble wrap and still have them get into trouble it feels like! Your room would need to be very well bird proofed to ensure that there are no hazards there could get into while you're sleeping. And yes, we've had several people on the Avenue accidentally squash their bird in bed or under foot, or even sit on them as they burrowed under the covers without their knowledge. Too many variables for me.

I also wonder if being with a bird 24/7 is a healthy relationship. It's possible that it could encourage a mate bond which obviously you cannot reciprocate. That can lead to sexual frustration, which can manifest in undesirable behaviors such as screaming, attacking members of your household, and feather plucking.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Birds are the most accident prone group of pets on the planet I think. :lol: You can wrap them in bubble wrap and still have them get into trouble it feels like! Your room would need to be very well bird proofed to ensure that there are no hazards there could get into while you're sleeping. And yes, we've had several people on the Avenue accidentally squash their bird in bed or under foot, or even sit on them as they burrowed under the covers without their knowledge. Too many variables for me.
Ditto. Your bird is never going to be more wise nor intelligent than a toddler (and 1/100th the size). That's why we don't leave them out of the cage when we leave the house, that's why we make bird proof rooms, that's why the great majority of us would never dream of sleeping with them - no more than we would with a toddler. It is our responsibility to protect them from themselves and us.

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
I have my bird in my bird-proofed, air purified and safe bedroom all day and at night, not counting when I take him on trips. I think he finds it easier to sleep when my lights are off and he sees me in bed. You’re free to have your bird in your room as long as you have artificial plants (if no plants at all), an optional air purifier (it helps a lot!), and willingness to clean poop on your bedroom floor (carpet is a pain).

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I wouldn't advise leaving a bird out in your room while you are sleeping. We've had some very tragic accidents reported on here with people either sleeping with their birds or leaving their birds out while they are sleeping. My cockatiels have a room that they sleep in their cages upstairs. They're downstairs during the day. Sometimes silence is unsettling so you could try a white noise machine to see if it helps with your bird. I have one for my cockatoo.

kayosa

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katy
My budgies live in my room due to lack of safe space elsewhere(open concept living plus fire place). I purchased a quiet air filter that is meant for a space more then twice the size of my room. On the lowest setting it filters the air of entire room about six times in an hour. I’m an aquarium keeper too, so I understand that you really can’t over filter when it come to cleaning dirty air or water.
it’s the Winix 5300-2 if your interested. My dust allergies have never been so nonexistent before.

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
My budgies live in my room due to lack of safe space elsewhere(open concept living plus fire place).
That’s why my bird is in my room too— I couldn’t put my bird anywhere else.