• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does wet bird always smell bad?

Anna205

Strolling the yard
So I misted Percy today and he loved it! This was his first time properly being bathed, since I'm sure some of you saw I was unsure if he liked it or not yesterday. He loves it, though! Although he tried to fly to me after it, and he went straight to the ground. He wasn't hurt, but it was slightly funny lol. Anyway, I went in to kiss his wing, and he smelled really bad. Do wet birds always smell bad? Like dogs?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
One of mine gets so soaked he falls if he tries to fly. I cage him after his bath till he dries off mostly. They can get badly hurt if they fall after being soaked.

Anna205

Strolling the yard
One of mine gets so soaked he falls if he tries to fly. I cage him after his bath till he dries off mostly. They can get badly hurt if they fall after being soaked.
Yeah, I was worried about it after that so I just treated him as if he was clipped and brought him on my shoulder everywhere! He ended up being sleepy after that so he mostly just snuggled with the mineral block in his cage until he was dry!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My cockatiels have an odor after a bath, but I absolutely love the smell!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
You betcha!

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
Yoshis a conure not a tiel but I love how he smells when’s wet!

He tried to fly to me the other day when he was wet and he managed but it made a hilarious sound!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Burt smells like fresh washed wet dog when he’s wet.
When he’s dry he smells sweet and fruity kind of.
I love his dry smell much more than his wet smell. Lol

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Tiels do have a scent after getting wet...to me, it does smell of wet wood. It's not too bad, at least to me, but I can understand it might not be too inviting with people with a more sensitive sense of smell.

Buddy the Conure has a strong scent when wet...musty wet is the closest to a description I can get....she also dries the fastest of anybody. I can't get why that is, but she does. ;)

And then...there's Milton....there's ALWAYS Milton. I like the scent of wet 'too...and I let Milt know that fact every time he gets wet...

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
I guess it depends on what you use to bathe your dog. Hogan is shampooed with Mane and Tail, so he smells nice, and his coat is beautiful.
The conures do have a slight odor after bathing, but they usually wipe it off, on my shirt
Oh how I love them all!!!