• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does this look like poo or vomit/cause of death?

Kakman

Checking out the neighborhood
Our kakariki passed away on Friday and there was this unusual poo or vomit on the wall behind his cage, and bits around his cage. What would you say it was?

We went to feed the little guy his breakfast but found him shallow breathing and struggling to balance in his perch. I took him in my hands and examined him, he seemed weak but no obvious blockage in his airways or anything in or around his mouth. After a couple of minutes of me comforting him he passed away in my hands.

The photo of him was taken less than 12 hours before he passed. He even copied us eating just before bedtime, about 8 and half hours before he passed. Apart from us recently becoming aware of his beak becoming overgrown he was in otherwise good health. His weight was consistent etc.

Does anyone have an idea for cause of death?

Attachments

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am very sorry for your loss. The only way you might find out what happened is to have a necropsy done. Was he eating anything that was red because the dropping look red and that could indicate blood but could also be due to the color of the food he was eating.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry for your loss.

Kakman

Checking out the neighborhood
I am very sorry for your loss. The only way you might find out what happened is to have a necropsy done. Was he eating anything that was red because the dropping look red and that could indicate blood but could also be due to the color of the food he was eating.
He did have red grapes as part of his fresh veg/fruit alongside his usual seed mix. Although since last Sunday we had tried the process to convert him to pellets, first week was 3/4 seed 1/4 pellets - that he wasn't really touching.
I called our avian vet but they were unfortunately on holiday until today. I believe the body has to be "fresh" for a necropsy. Not sure if it would have hindered the results 72+ hours later?

Also I'd read that kakarikis are prone to heart attack/strokes - would either of them cause vomiting or diarrhoea?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can refrigerate the body. Call the vet when they open and ask about the timing.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
:sorrow:
I'm sorry for your loss...
I'm unsure the cause..but they can be sick for a long time and hide it

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road