• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

does my cockatiels cere look blocked?

animalover

Jogging around the block
tempImageO1I4ax.jpg tempImageYj3M4e.jpg
I wasn't sure about this until yesterday when he sneezed 7 times in a row, I dont know If I can take him to the vet, this week has been stressful for the whole family and I dont think anyone would feel like taking me, but ill try convincing them, is there anything I can do to unblock it or is that too dangerous?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Could just be a bit of dried food. Try offfering a bath or misting (whichever your bird prefers) and take a look after he´s washed and dried...

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ah yes, on the 911.

How is his nail now? Has it healed over?
If the nail was clotted fine that day and has since healed, he´ll be ok for a light misting.

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
My green cheeks' nostrils look similar. They are 17 years old. The older they get, the more pronounced (basically the color is more noticeable) that gray area in the center gets. How old is your bird? The sneezing may be do to dry air...or, if you live near an area that's burning from wildfire (west coast of USA, for example), smoke can contribute to sneezing.

animalover

Jogging around the block
Ah yes, on the 911.

How is his nail now? Has it healed over?
If the nail was clotted fine that day and has since healed, he´ll be ok for a light misting.
yes it completely healed, there's still a bit of dried blood where it broke, but even If he dunks his foot in his water a couple of times it will still be intact, thank you! ill try the misting tomorrow!

animalover

Jogging around the block
My green cheeks' nostrils look similar. They are 17 years old. The older they get, the more pronounced (basically the color is more noticeable) that gray area in the center gets. How old is your bird? The sneezing may be do to dry air...or, if you live near an area that's burning from wildfire (west coast of USA, for example), smoke can contribute to sneezing.
milo is just 6 months old, I mean id consider my country pretty dry and humid, we live right in front of the beach(with docks), im not sure if the boats produce smoke? but our windows are only open in the early early morning just as soon as the sun rises, then its closed for the rest of the day. idk he sneezed right after playing with my hair tie im not sure why lol, but yeah.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Sometimes seeing the "operculum" just inside the nare of a cockatiel can be confused with a blockage of some sort. You provided a great photo that clearly shows the operculum on your bird. Any of my smaller birds will sneeze and scratch their faces when they're on my shoulder and my hair tickles their faces which may explain why your tiel sneezed several times after being near your hair. Read this information and it may help you understand the inside of your tiels nostrils, how their own dust can affect them as well. If you still think there is a blockage you may consider misting your bird, having a vet check and if a vet visit isn't feasable because of current world conditions you may be able to send photos to a vet for confirmation of a possible blockage... be sure to add extra photos with good lighting including the one posted above.

1. My pet cockatiel sneezes more than my other birds; should I be concerned?

Pet cockatiel feathers make an excessive amount of powder, produced by the powder down feathers. This powder can make its way into the nares and upper respiratory tract of pet birds, including the dusty pet cockatiels that produce them. This can result in a bird sneezing to expel the excess dust, powder and dander.

As long as the sneezing is not continuous, and the sneeze is dry (it produces no moisture or mucus), it is normal. If you notice that the sneezing increases in frequency or intensity or if begins to produce mucus, then it will be time to have your pet cockatiel evaluated by your avian vet.

Consider running a good quality air filter with HEPA filtration in the bird room to clean the air of dust, debris, pollen, spores and powder down.

8. There is stuff in my pet bird’s nares. Do I need to clean it out?

When in doubt, have your avian veterinarian examine your pet cockatiel. He or she can tell you if there is a problem.

You can do the following at home to help: take your pet bird into a steamy bathroom while you or a family member showers, so that the bird’s respiratory system is kept moist. Try misting your bird with warm water several times per day.

All cockatiels have an operculum inside the nares, which is a keratinized flap. Sometimes the powder down may accumulate inside the nares, over the operculum. That’s why increased humidity will help dislodge and remove any debris.

Never stick a sharp object into pet bird nares to dislodge debris. If that is necessary, your avian veterinarian should do it.

The two articles are copied and pasted from this link:

animalover

Jogging around the block
Sometimes seeing the "operculum" just inside the nare of a cockatiel can be confused with a blockage of some sort. You provided a great photo that clearly shows the operculum on your bird. Any of my smaller birds will sneeze and scratch their faces when they're on my shoulder and my hair tickles their faces which may explain why your tiel sneezed several times after being near your hair. Read this information and it may help you understand the inside of your tiels nostrils, how their own dust can affect them as well. If you still think there is a blockage you may consider misting your bird, having a vet check and if a vet visit isn't feasable because of current world conditions you may be able to send photos to a vet for confirmation of a possible blockage... be sure to add extra photos with good lighting including the one posted above.

1. My pet cockatiel sneezes more than my other birds; should I be concerned?

Pet cockatiel feathers make an excessive amount of powder, produced by the powder down feathers. This powder can make its way into the nares and upper respiratory tract of pet birds, including the dusty pet cockatiels that produce them. This can result in a bird sneezing to expel the excess dust, powder and dander.

As long as the sneezing is not continuous, and the sneeze is dry (it produces no moisture or mucus), it is normal. If you notice that the sneezing increases in frequency or intensity or if begins to produce mucus, then it will be time to have your pet cockatiel evaluated by your avian vet.

Consider running a good quality air filter with HEPA filtration in the bird room to clean the air of dust, debris, pollen, spores and powder down.

8. There is stuff in my pet bird’s nares. Do I need to clean it out?

When in doubt, have your avian veterinarian examine your pet cockatiel. He or she can tell you if there is a problem.

You can do the following at home to help: take your pet bird into a steamy bathroom while you or a family member showers, so that the bird’s respiratory system is kept moist. Try misting your bird with warm water several times per day.

All cockatiels have an operculum inside the nares, which is a keratinized flap. Sometimes the powder down may accumulate inside the nares, over the operculum. That’s why increased humidity will help dislodge and remove any debris.

Never stick a sharp object into pet bird nares to dislodge debris. If that is necessary, your avian veterinarian should do it.

The two articles are copied and pasted from this link:

thank you so much!