• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does my budgie have bumblefoot?

Chris_00

Moving in
Real Name
Christina
Does my budgie have bumblefoot? He started to stand on one leg today. A month ago he broke a nail on his left foot and he was standing on his right foot almost all the time. Now he doesn't stand on the right foot. IMG_20211204_024230_728.JPG

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Hello, welcome to the neighborhood. Can you take a picture of the underside of the foot? Thanks.

Chris_00

Moving in
Real Name
Christina
Hello, welcome to the neighborhood. Can you take a picture of the underside of the foot? Thanks.
Hi, sorry for the late reply
This is the best photo I could get received_423217236077085.jpeg

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
The foot does look a little irritated. I cannot say if it is bumble foot or early signs of bumble. However, if you are worried and behaviour is changing you could go to a vet. If bumble foot develops it can be very painful.

In the meantime you could try and improve your perches and surfaces in the cage. Try using natural branches with varying thicknesses. I also suggest having one perch (or more if you have room) at a steep angle or even vertical. Vertical perches are good exercise for their feet and wrists.

I hope this helps.

Also if you need some ideas this thread has more :)

Chris_00

Moving in
Real Name
Christina
The foot does look a little irritated. I cannot say if it is bumble foot or early signs of bumble. However, if you are worried and behaviour is changing you could go to a vet. If bumble foot develops it can be very painful.

In the meantime you could try and improve your perches and surfaces in the cage. Try using natural branches with varying thicknesses. I also suggest having one perch (or more if you have room) at a steep angle or even vertical. Vertical perches are good exercise for their feet and wrists.

I hope this helps.

Also if you need some ideas this thread has more :)
Thank you this helps a lot :)
I took him to the vet yesterday. They said he has a mechanical injury. The doctor didn't even take a good look at his foot and gave me no further information how to treat it :what:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Thank you this helps a lot :)
I took him to the vet yesterday. They said he has a mechanical injury. The doctor didn't even take a good look at his foot and gave me no further information how to treat it :what:
Was it an avian vet? Not all vets are as familiar with birds. Look for a specific avian vet in your area and get a second opinion. Also you should call your vet and clarify questions you may have. The vet you went to may have not felt treatment was needed since there isn't an open ulcer.

Bad cases of bumble foot can have open ulcers and infection. With your bird, if it is bumble foot you caught it early. Hopefully you can resolve care before it gets bad. In addition to improving your perches try offering your bird some baths.

Chris_00

Moving in
Real Name
Christina
Was it an avian vet? Not all vets are as familiar with birds. Look for a specific avian vet in your area and get a second opinion. Also you should call your vet and clarify questions you may have. The vet you went to may have not felt treatment was needed since there isn't an open ulcer.

Bad cases of bumble foot can have open ulcers and infection. With your bird, if it is bumble foot you caught it early. Hopefully you can resolve care before it gets bad. In addition to improving your perches try offering your bird some baths.
I don't think we have an avian vet in town:(.I live in a small town, the vet I went to is the best we have in town. He was recommended to me by my friend, whenever my friend's canaries were sick or injured, he always helped them and my friend was very pleased with the service

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I don't think we have an avian vet in town:(.I live in a small town, the vet I went to is the best we have in town. He was recommended to me by my friend, whenever my friend's canaries were sick or injured, he always helped them and my friend was very pleased with the service
In this case maybe call the vet up and make sure something wasn't lost in communication. The vet may have had a good reason for not providing treatment. Keep in mind that small birds are very fragile. Treatments may be difficult to give, and also require tiny doses which can be dangerous. Communication is always better than guessing. I would call and have a chat. :) There are also online vets but I don't know of a service personally. I have just heard it pop up in the forum before.

Chris_00

Moving in
Real Name
Christina
In this case maybe call the vet up and make sure something wasn't lost in communication. The vet may have had a good reason for not providing treatment. Keep in mind that small birds are very fragile. Treatments may be difficult to give, and also require tiny doses which can be dangerous. Communication is always better than guessing. I would call and have a chat. :) There are also online vets but I don't know of a service personally. I have just heard it pop up in the forum before.
Thank you:D I will contact the vet

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Budgies do like to rest a leg while relaxing. Looks normal to me.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I second this. Apart from the injured nail, birds do rest with one foot up. My budgie boys often nap on one foot.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I second this. Apart from the injured nail, birds do rest with one foot up. My budgie boys often nap on one foot.
Although it is true that birdos do love to rest on one foot the original poster said the bird was not using his foot most of the time, to the point that they made a vet appointment. Appearance is part of the story, but behaviour is also an important consideration.

Luckily the budgie seems to have a concerned and caring flock human :starshower1:

Enrichment improvements are always a good idea! :)

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Although it is true that birdos do love to rest on one foot the original poster said the bird was not using his foot most of the time, to the point that they made a vet appointment. Appearance is part of the story, but behaviour is also an important consideration.

Luckily the budgie seems to have a concerned and caring flock human :starshower1:

Enrichment improvements are always a good idea! :)
Yes I realize that.

I’m very glad you have been seeing and talking to your vet, @Chris_00! I hope your little guy is fully recovered from his nail injury!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
@Chris_00 does he have plenty to do in his cage or does he just sit around all day?
Natural perches are a great way to prevent bumblefoot.

Chris_00

Moving in
Real Name
Christina
@Chris_00 does he have plenty to do in his cage or does he just sit around all day?
Natural perches are a great way to prevent bumblefoot.
He usually sits around all day, I bought him a toy and he played with it while his partner was still alive, he was more joyful. Now he seems bored all the time and I don't know what do to

Chris_00

Moving in
Real Name
Christina
Yes I realize that.

I’m very glad you have been seeing and talking to your vet, @Chris_00! I hope your little guy is fully recovered from his nail injury!
He did recover from the nail injury very well, but I think a nail won't grow back because it was completely detached from the skin

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
He usually sits around all day, I bought him a toy and he played with it while his partner was still alive, he was more joyful. Now he seems bored all the time and I don't know what do to
I honestly think that if you can't get him moving about playing then you should think about getting him a friend.
That's a big commitment so maybe get a selection of toys and try and get him interested in them first. The more he moves about and changes his grip the better for his feet and his mental health.
Talking of grip I mentioned earlier about natural perches. These would also help him by changing his grip.
More interaction with you too. Play with him. Show him the new toys, and show him how to play with them.
Last step would be a cagemate. Given his age you should look around for another mature male.

Just my honest opinion.

Chris_00

Moving in
Real Name
Christina
I honestly think that if you can't get him moving about playing then you should think about getting him a friend.
That's a big commitment so maybe get a selection of toys and try and get him interested in them first. The more he moves about and changes his grip the better for his feet and his mental health.
Talking of grip I mentioned earlier about natural perches. These would also help him by changing his grip.
More interaction with you too. Play with him. Show him the new toys, and show him how to play with them.
Last step would be a cagemate. Given his age you should look around for another mature male.

Just my honest opinion.
I will get some new toys and see if he is interested

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
If the bottom of his foot is irritated you can also use soft or padded perches even if it is temporarily.