• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does my budgie closing his eyes necessarily mean he is sick?

bleiben

Moving in
Hello! I'm a long time bird fan, but a very new and inexperienced bird owner. My family recently got me two budgies to help us cope with the loss of another bird we had been caring for (long and sad story, I may post about him in the Highway to Heaven area). When I was talking to them to help tame them, I noticed one of them, named Engels, was keeping his eyes closed. Not for the whole time, he'd occasionally open them to take a look at me, but it seemed like he was trying to keep them shut for the most part. I decided to look it up because I was worried it meant he very scared of me and trying to play dead. When I googled it, I saw that it could either mean that he was sick or that the sound of my voice was comforting him. I assumed the latter as he had shown no other signs of illness. Then, as I was taking a look to make sure he wasn't puffed up (he's a bit of a bigger budgie but comparing him to images of puffed up budgies he clearly isn't puffed) I noticed that his eyes were closed again. How concerned should I be? Thanks for any responses and I apologize if I'm being a bit of a hypochondriac vicariously through my birds. I just lost my first bird, who I got very attached to, so I'm pretty anxious about losing another.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
One of my budgies, Marzipan, does this when he's content. He'll slowly close his eyes & keep them closed. He looks really peaceful when he does.

All of them do this when they're too tired. Are they getting enough sleep?

Maybe you could get a picture of the behaviour for some more knowledgeable budgie people. @Ripshod @Lady Jane @Lori D Pert

bleiben

Moving in
One of my budgies, Marzipan, does this when he's content. He'll slowly close his eyes & keep them closed. He looks really peaceful when he does.

All of them do this when they're too tired. Are they getting enough sleep?

Maybe you could get a picture of the behaviour for some more knowledgeable budgie people. @Ripshod @Lady Jane @Lori D Pert
I think they're getting enough sleep, I'm not entirely sure though. They tend to be awake when I go to sleep and awake when I wake up. I haven't noticed any signs of fatigue or tiredness though besides Engels closing his eyes. I'll try to take a picture next time I see it, but it could be difficult since he doesn't keep them closed the whole time.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have observed my budgies doing this also. I recently read an article but don't remember where that was addressing how birds sleep. What I recall is that during the night they kind of sleep with one eye open or semi sleep as a routine. Because of this during the day specifically budgies will nap during the daytime with eyes shut. I don't thing you have anything to worry about.