• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does mating dancing mean eggs?

cricketiel

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Dana
Hi everyone!

I'm sure I'm just being a hyper-paranoid bird mom right now, but my 2 year old female cockatiel keeps doing a little mating call/dance and I am terrified that it means she is going to lay soon. I took her to the vet last time that she did this and she didn't have any eggs at the time, but I'm just worried that she will develop eggs/get egg bound. I have rearranged her cage, increased her dark-hours to 12 hours a day, etc. but she is still doing the mating dance. Does anyone have experience with these kinds of displays and whether or not they mean eggs are imminent? Or is this just a normal part of having a female bird which I should just treat as a natural thing without worrying about eggs every time (assuming she doesn't have other signs of egg laying, of course).

Thanks!
Dana

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

donutweall

Walking the driveway
Back when I had a female 'tiel- nesting behavior (going into dark spaces, hanging out on the floor of the cage, sitting in food bowl, etc) was more of an indicator of "eggs coming" more than dancing... but my girl didn't dance or sing at all, only my boy did!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm just worried that she will develop eggs/get egg bound.
I can´t help with the cockatiel behaviour, however as for fear of egg-binding. It is good to research the subject, know what to look out for and have your travel cage ready should you have any problems associated with laying.
Don´t be afraid of your girl getting egg bound, instead do all you can to prevent it - have her flighted, and allow her to fly out of her cage inside your home daily to keep her strength up. -be sure she is eating pellets as part of her diet and be sure she is getting all the calcium and vitamins she needs, definitely discuss diet and supplements with your vet.

Have a read of this article;

Don´t be afraid, just be aware :)