• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does it talk?

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I hear the oh thats not a "real parrot" often enough, ive also heard "if shes a lovebird why doesn't she have a mate?" every now and then and I try to explain that while i am looking for a friend for her she will not "get sick" if she is alone. I was once asked if she was a canary. :lol:At a bird shop no less.
"If she's a lovebird why doesn't she have a mate" :coffeescreen:

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
:bash:UGH yes unfortunately I get asked all the time too. When we were thinking about giving Jenks a home his previous owner kept stressing the fact that he couldn't talk. I was like OKAAYYYY no issue there I don't care about that in the least, he needs a home, I have a good one, who cares if he can talk. He speaks parrot perfectly and he does talk/repeat human as well they just couldn't understand him. I wonder if they would have wanted to keep him if they could have understood him. :kickout:I just don't get people focusing on the human talking stuff. I guess it could be considered "cool" to some but Jenks is cool enough for me just being himself.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think a lot of it is non bird people know so little about parrots that they don't know what else to ask. They are trying to find a topic they at least can understand to start a conversation. I don't think they realize it's rude or annoying :)

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
There are a few times I've wished Blu wasn't so verbal. Try going to sleep when the dogs are tussling in the pet room and Blu joins in the barking. He individually calls them by name followed by "Stop It!" at the top of his lungs. This goes on for up to an hour sometime. Then there's him screaming "Mike!" just like my wife does if she sees a snake or a mouse. I've tried to video the "dog fight" but they all seem to know when I have a camera on them.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
Most people who don't know a lot about parrots do know that they are often able to imitate human speech, so "does it talk?" is the one thing they think to ask when they meet a parrot. After 50 years living with parrots and dealing with lots of questions about them, I no longer get annoyed with that question. My standard answer now is "Yes, he/she talks (depending on which parrot they're asking about), but he/she never talks to strangers." :D