• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does Giving my bird tissue paper to Forage with induce nest behavior?

SkytheGcc

Strolling the yard
Recently I have Been giving my bird wrapped treats in tissue papers for her to eventually find. Would this induce hormonals behavior and if so what are some foraging toys I could use instead? (tissue paper isn't excactly challenging anyway :/)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If you see her shredding the paper and trying to make a nest with it, or carrying it to a specific area, then stop giving her the paper for a while.
There are plenty of plastic foraging refillable toys you could buy, or fill the food bowl with beads and then add a spoonful of dried food to dig around and find.
Maybe this will help; Foraging Toy Reviews

Fife3000

Strolling the yard
For my canaries it does! Anithing that looks like a thread, paper, end of a broom (lol), wallpaper.......If they can rip it and carry it around, they will try to make a nest with it. They go after my hair and pants!!!!! For fun I am leaving one of my old jeans for them to play with. Keeps them busy for hours.

BananaBird

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
I have some strips of paper towel hung up in my budgies cage. She just shreds and chews it.

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
My budgie has some scrunched up tissue paper on the bottom of her cage. She just flings it around with her beak and chases it about. It's so funny to watch lol :laughing2:

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
I use tissue paper for foraging for our Rose Breasted Too. She just unwraps the prize and tosses the rest on the ground. But if your bird seems to use it for nesting I'd find something else.

Something a bit more challenging would be things wrapped in regular paper, paper cups (no waxed ones), or small cardboard pillow boxes.

I personally love treat cages. You can put all kinds of shreddables in them and hide foods for foraging.

I also use foraging trays. I have a mini one on top of our Meyers cage with different toys she has to toss out to find her food.

Baby eating from bucket2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
My guys have individual foraging trays inside their cages and then a communal one near a bird tree.

Here the current budgie tray: plastic tray I had lying around, coffee stir sticks that I slide through the side openings and seed packages semi-wrapped in cupcake wrappers with a few other shreddy/play bits (cinnamon sticks, star anise) tossed in. As they learn where to look for snacks, I will close up the treat packages more tightly.
20211117_101315~2.jpg

Here the current GCC tray, he's got a recycled food tray with chewy things that he likes and bits of seed scattered and stuffed into toy holes.

20211117_101300~2.jpg

And here's the communal tray. It's full of paper shred right now, with beads and a few baskets. I turn some upside down and hide stuff underneath too. Loose seed, millet and freeze dried peas are the current treats. There's a low perch to use as a scouting point too. They have all been taking turns visiting daily.

20211117_101025~2.jpg