• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does anyone use Bird Butlers?

Lysh87

Moving in
Real Name
Alysha
Hi, do any of you guys use the bird butler system with brass nozzle? I’be been using it since April and now I’m reading brass can be toxic. The company has assured me they are safe but I’m still feeling stressed and looking for some comfort from anyone who uses the brass nozzle ones. Thank you for your time,

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I would not be comfortable using brass for my bird but even less so for something they drink from

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I was recently looking at their website too because I remember them being popular here a few years back, and saw they had an option of a brass nozzle. Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. Zinc we know can cause heavy metal poisoning in birds. Mayne there is some science that says it is safe after being made into an alloy? But I personally would not trust it.

Lysh87

Moving in
Real Name
Alysha
I was recently looking at their website too because I remember them being popular here a few years back, and saw they had an option of a brass nozzle. Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. Zinc we know can cause heavy metal poisoning in birds. Mayne there is some science that says it is safe after being made into an alloy? But I personally would not trust it.
Yeah.. I’m going to remove it. I hope I didn’t harm them since they’ve used it since march/April :( I try so hard to keep them safe. Do you think a plastic water silo like the one pictured is better?

Attachments

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thanks I ordered a plastic water silo from Amazon. Think that would be better?
I don’t like silos for water as they’re very difficult to clean properly. I personally won’t recommend these so I can’t say it’s better as it comes with its own health concerns. I prefer and only use SS bowls for water.

Reactions: tka

Lysh87

Moving in
Real Name
Alysha
I don’t like silos for water as they’re very difficult to clean properly. I personally won’t recommend these so I can’t say it’s better as it comes with its own health concerns. I prefer and only use SS bowls for water.
Thanks I appreciate it. Even that is risky to me because can you trust it is true SS? If it’s not, then there is the risk of toxic metal as well. I think everything has a risk.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thanks I appreciate it. Even that is risky to me because can you trust it is true SS? If it’s not, then there is the risk of toxic metal as well. I think everything has a risk.
Yes I can trust the SS bowls are safe. I have been using them for many years and I also use the same quality for many of our cooking and storage needs. SS is what is used in many applications to ensure cleanliness- surgery, commercial and industrial kitchens etc

Lysh87

Moving in
Real Name
Alysha
Yes I can trust the SS bowls are safe. I have been using them for many years and I also use the same quality for many of our cooking and storage needs. SS is what is used in many applications to ensure cleanliness- surgery, commercial and industrial kitchens etc
Would you mind sharing the link where you order them from? I never know what stores to trust. Amazon I’ve seen claim certain materials and then they degrade when they shouldn’t or have “coatings” that peel later. I’m also in Canada so not sure if I can order from the same place or not but maybe.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Would you mind sharing the link where you order them from? I never know what stores to trust. Amazon I’ve seen claim certain materials and then they degrade when they shouldn’t or have “coatings” that peel later. I’m also in Canada so not sure if I can order from the same place or not but maybe.
I am in Australia and bought most of my bowls years back, some came with the 6 different cages I have bought, some I got from the local feedstore, some I found at the op shop and some I had before I brought birds back into my life (they were from my ferrets cage)- they are basically just plain old coop cups or coop bowls. I have never seen or heard of them being coated with anything. My bird has actually broken a couple that were made a tad thinner than most of the others but other than that I have had no issues with coatings. I even use them in the oven sometimes.

Here is one link in Canada for the sort I have... Birdlife Stainless Steel Coop Cup 600Ml

Lysh87

Moving in
Real Name
Alysha
I am in Australia and bought most of my bowls years back, some came with the 6 different cages I have bought, some I got from the local feedstore, some I found at the op shop and some I had before I brought birds back into my life (they were from my ferrets cage)- they are basically just plain old coop cups or coop bowls. I have never seen or heard of them being coated with anything. My bird has actually broken a couple that were made a tad thinner than most of the others but other than that I have had no issues with coatings. I even use them in the oven sometimes.

Here is one link in Canada for the sort I have... Birdlife Stainless Steel Coop Cup 600Ml
Thank you for your help :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I use stainless steel or ceramic usually. If you go with better name brands you can be sure they are stainless steel. I have used some from Lixit, King's Cages, Midwest Pets, Prevue, etc. One of my go tos for new dishes is here; it is a US website but might give you some search terms to use :) Dishes - Windy City Parrot

I do avoid plastic whenever possible just because I don't like the rough feel it gets after a while, and I like anything I can throw in the dishwasher. Water bowls do get dirty faster but ideally water should be changed at least once a day regardless, and I know with bottles I tend to not change them as often because there's still "clean water" left.

Lysh87

Moving in
Real Name
Alysha
I use stainless steel or ceramic usually. If you go with better name brands you can be sure they are stainless steel. I have used some from Lixit, King's Cages, Midwest Pets, Prevue, etc. One of my go tos for new dishes is here; it is a US website but might give you some search terms to use :) Dishes - Windy City Parrot

I do avoid plastic whenever possible just because I don't like the rough feel it gets after a while, and I like anything I can throw in the dishwasher. Water bowls do get dirty faster but ideally water should be changed at least once a day regardless, and I know with bottles I tend to not change them as often because there's still "clean water" left.
Thank you so much for your help!!!