• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Does anyone know what this is!!!!!!?

Oceanlands

Moving in
Hello, my birds are abt 4-5 years old, I have been cleaning their cages for a long time (I have 2 birds) but recently when I went to clean their cage today, I saw this (image shown) I was really worried if something was wrong because it looked like mold and also there were a lot of black dots around it!!!!!!!! I’m so scared that something is wrong! I was thinking maybe because they moved the water a lot that their poop may have molded? (I cleaned the cage recently, I always power wash it) please tell me if there was something wrong! When I went to check, a bug came out of the black part!!!!!!!

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It’s not harmful or anything right?
It can be. If mold spores get into the air, it can cause fungal infections. Really the cage papers need to be changed daily to avoid the issue.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, that's mould. It can happen very quickly if given the right conditions. It looks like you have food pieces on the cage floor which, if they get damp from water, will go mouldy.

I change my bird's papers every day. I recommend swapping out the papers every day. It means that the cage gets less dirty inbetween thorough cleans.

Oceanlands

Moving in
Is the second pic, (with the black “lines and dots” ) also mold? I’m pretty sure they are connected, also I’m making a schedule right now so I can have time to clean and power wash the cage

Oceanlands

Moving in
Also, if I just wash it with REALLY hot water (no soap) will it be fine?
If not, any recommendations of soaps that aren’t harmful? Also ty guys much for the info! <3