• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

does anyone know lorikeet nesting behaviours?

minkylory

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nel
my 15 year old female rainbow lorikeet, Ellie, has been shredding and moving the puppy pads on the bottom of her cage. it looks like she's trying to tuck it in and shape it, if that makes sense? I'm not sure how else to explain other than it kinda looks like she's trying to make a nest? can lorikeets make regular types of nests or am I just being silly? she could just like playing with it despite having toys already but I'm just double checking 20220625_100237.jpg

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
You should not use puppy pads for lining a birds cage. It is full of chemicals and not safe to put in the mouth. Use newspaper/recycled paper intead :) it could be nesting behavior, it could also be just curiosity and the wanting to shred. Other behaviors can help tell, such as grumpiness and hormonal behaviors. Make sure she deos not have any place to hide such as huts, and do not pet her anywhere other than the head.

minkylory

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nel
You should not use puppy pads for lining a birds cage. It is full of chemicals and not safe to put in the mouth. Use newspaper/recycled paper intead :) it could be nesting behavior, it could also be just curiosity and the wanting to shred. Other behaviors can help tell, such as grumpiness and hormonal behaviors. Make sure she deos not have any place to hide such as huts, and do not pet her anywhere other than the head.
I've bought her a mat for the bottom of the cage instead because I can just wash it, and I've changed to using paper towel on top. she doesn't have any huts and she doesn't really let me pet her anyways but she has been nippy and randomly bites me when I haven't done anything ^^". I only used puppy pads because my other lorikeet doesn't chew and I didn't really expect her to shred it all up haha