• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does Anyone Have A Cockatiel That Likes/Doesn't Mind Being Toweled?

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Really! Were they raised with it?
I was never able to get much info on Marty's past so I've no idea, but I'd bet on it. He was never happier than when he was wrapped in a blanket or towel. It was the weirdest thing. :huh: I've never had a cockatiel before or since who would burrow under covers entirely unprompted.

As for Skyline, certainly not. The only life he knew before I got him was the inside of a carry cage. It took me years to earn his trust, but at this point I can do just about anything with him. :xflove:

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
He was deathly afraid of hands when I adopted him in 2017. And yes, targeting certainly helps.
Out of curiosity, was he flighted or chipped when you get him?

I was never able to get much info on Marty's past so I've no idea, but I'd bet on it. He was never happier than when he was wrapped in a blanket or towel. It was the weirdest thing. :huh: I've never had a cockatiel before or since who would burrow under covers entirely unprompted.

As for Skyline, certainly not. The only life he knew before I got him was the inside of a carry cage. It took me years to earn his trust, but at this point I can do just about anything with him. :xflove:
That's so inspiring!:heart: I hope I can work up to just half that trust level! What kind of training worked for you? Felix is similar to Skyline was.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
That's so inspiring!:heart: I hope I can work up to just half that trust level! What kind of training worked for you? Felix is similar to Skyline was.
Sorry to disappoint, but I really don't do any formal training with my birds at all. If anything, they train me. I just talk to them like they're roommates and pay attention to their body language so I can follow their cues instead and take all our interactions at whatever pace they set. I ask and expect nothing from them, so they give only what they want and that usually ends up being far more than anyone expects.

With Skyline, the first two years his cage was open 24/7 and he spent most of his time chilling on top of it. I would talk to him and offer treats while I cleaned, fed, and watered and that was it until he one day decided it was okay to take those treats directly from my hand (banana chips are his favorite). From there he started asking for scritches, and one day about three years in he flew to me for the first time and we were nigh inseparable until I finally got him another cockatiel buddy. We're still friends but Chipper has his heart now.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Rupert was clipped when I got him. I'm not sure if he fledged or not as a little one. He still doesn't like to fly (he really only does it when he gets spooked), but I encourage him to hop and jump distances where he would need to deploy his wings once or twice. I also launch him towards his cage, so that he gets a teeny bit of flight exercise.