• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does Anyone Have A Cockatiel That Likes/Doesn't Mind Being Toweled?

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Does anyone have a cockatiel that doesn't mind being toweled? Or even like it? I've seen conures and bigger that don't care, but I'm not sure (most) cockatiels are capable of that. I was just wondering if it's something I can realistically work on with Bo Peep. She's impressionable. It's unrealistic to me, I've never seen a cockatiel calmly toweled, and I think any "training" would just be a waste. Right?

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
My bird also hates it most of the time. I guess your cockatiel is just a lot more clam with having something touch their back. Pretty lucky though, it might come in handy with a flight harness. :tup:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Has your Bo Peep ever snuggled into a blanket or sheet? I think if she has, you might have a shot?

Aves

I don't think "training" is a waste.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Skyline doesn't mind it.

I also had a foster tiel years ago, Marty, who LOVED being bundled up.

animalover

Jogging around the block
nope, he doesn't like it one bit, I think its because hes claustrophobic lol, maybe that goes for all cockatiels but he really doesn't like being held or put in a trapped space.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think part of the toweling thing with tiels is their tails are so long. I don't think it's always comfortable for them. Also because of their tales, they don't usually naturally lay on their backs like conures do. Why are you wanting to towel her?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I don’t think it would be a waste of time trying to train her to accept a towel. It might be a long, slow process, and it will evolve training when she’s the most hungry using a favorite treat just for that purpose, but she can learn to accept being toweled if you’re willing to put in the effort.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
My birds hate it and they freak out whenever I absolutely have to do it.
That's why I figured it's not even trainable, it's just too unatural.
My bird also hates it most of the time. I guess your cockatiel is just a lot more clam with having something touch their back. Pretty lucky though, it might come in handy with a flight harness. :tup:
I haven't tried with her.
Has your Bo Peep ever snuggled into a blanket or sheet? I think if she has, you might have a shot?
I'll see if she leans into one. Probably not.
I don't think "training" is a waste.
I meant "towel training". I'm asking if towel training a cockatiel won't work.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Skyline doesn't mind it.

I also had a foster tiel years ago, Marty, who LOVED being bundled up.
Really! Were they raised with it?
I think part of the toweling thing with tiels is their tails are so long. I don't think it's always comfortable for them. Also because of their tales, they don't usually naturally lay on their backs like conures do. Why are you wanting to towel her?
They aren't as hands-on as conures and larger. I just asked if it was worth trying to train, or if it wouldn't be a possibility.
I don’t think it would be a waste of time trying to train her to accept a towel. It might be a long, slow process, and it will evolve training when she’s the most hungry using a favorite treat just for that purpose, but she can learn to accept being toweled if you’re willing to put in the effort.
Maybe I could train her to just be near a towel, or a towel be held above her? Not restraining her, but preparing her not to be scared if she needs to be? I don't know, toweling just seems too stressful for them to get past? Even just simple/starter towel training like putting the towel near or showing them it?
Towel training is important and I think it could work with a cockatiel.
Hm. I'll see her reaction to standing on a fuzzy blanket. I'm not sure it's plausible.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Tooky doesn't like being toweled, held, touched, etc. etc.
Was Tooky raised with it? Do/did you have a specific method to desensitize?

mak

I got Tooky when he was a year old. I think it stems from being grabbed at the pet store. I worked with him a lot to not be as scared of my fingers and he steps up nicely, but there is a long way to go.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Really! Were they raised with it?

They aren't as hands-on as conures and larger. I just asked if it was worth trying to train, or if it wouldn't be a possibility.

Maybe I could train her to just be near a towel, or a towel be held above her? Not restraining her, but preparing her not to be scared if she needs to be? I don't know, toweling just seems too stressful for them to get past? Even just simple/starter towel training like putting the towel near or showing them it?

Hm. I'll see her reaction to standing on a fuzzy blanket. I'm not sure it's plausible.
Yeah, just baby steps. Always use the same color towel, like white. Get her used to seeing it, then get her used to touching it, then walking on it, then get her used to you playing with it and moving it around, then draping a corner of it on her for a second, etc. you get the idea. Just reward every step of the way, keep training seasons short, make sure she is motivated, make it fun, don’t proceed any further until a step is mastered.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I had to desensitize Rupert and work step by step for him to get used to it, even though he's a Conure. He has trust issues due to his past. We've been working on it for probably a couple of years. Now toweling has become a game to him.

It all starts with the bird getting used to seeing the towel, then sitting on it, then work on having the bird lean backwards on to your hand... you just gradually go a little further and keep praising and giving the high value treats.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I had to desensitize Rupert and work step by step for him to get used to it, even though he's a Conure. He has trust issues due to his past. We've been working on it for probably a couple of years. Now toweling has become a game to him.

It all starts with the bird getting used to seeing the towel, then sitting on it, then work on having the bird lean backwards on to your hand... you just gradually go a little further and keep praising and giving the high value treats.
I guess you used targeting? Did he trust your hands in the beginning or did you train that too?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I guess you used targeting? Did he trust your hands in the beginning or did you train that too?
He was deathly afraid of hands when I adopted him in 2017. And yes, targeting certainly helps.