• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does anyone elses caique smell

Thebirdbin

Checking out the neighborhood
I change papers every day, and I just washed cage like 2 days ago completely. He does like to make soup in his water dish and like drop the mushy food on the ground and the bottom of the cage so maybe that doesn't help. He's healthy and I brought it up with the vet and she's like nah his poop is fine it doesn't smell bad and he's healthy (except he has like some.sort of heart defect?? Not relating to the poop or smell.) Like my other bird doesn't smell at all but he is soooo smelly

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
My caique's dropping have a slight odor to them. I've had him checked by the vet multiple times (and by multiple vets), and they figure it's just a side-effect of how he soaks his food in water, and how watery his droppings can be. I do give him bene-bac/pro-biotics weekly but it doesn't make a big difference. I just scrub his cage 3x weekly and try to keep his rope perches clean. It worries me, but my vet said that as long as he's otherwise normal that it's not something to be concerned about. I just watch them all like a hawk for any changes, then it's off to the vet.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
None of mine smell bad. They all have that warm fluffy smell when they get close
But of course Im like a fanatic with bird friendly disinfectant

Regarding the soup. They are evolved to deal with wet food, wet feathers, wet perches, wet everything. Theyre from the Amazon rainforest where it rains 24/7/365.

Its us humans obsessed with dry food, and the birds correct that mistake with their drinking water bowl

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
When we switched our birds diet from a seed mix to pellets... my Senegals poop SMELLED HORRENDOUS... None of the others had that problem!
WE GOT RID OF THE SMELL by supplementing the Zupreem Natural Pellets w/ about 6x Pretty Bird [medium sized pieces] every day...

What a blessing to not have that smell anymore!

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
When I first got my caiques, they were on a seed mix from the store where I got them. The caiques did not smell good! I didn't smell their poops, but their bodies didn't smell good. They had kind of a strong, pungent smell. I switched them to pellets and now they smell good....like a caique should!

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
That IS interesting!!! I've never had a Caique.
To clarify my previous info-- the Pretty Bird pellets were the Species Specific variety, for Amazon/ Cockatoo.

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
FYI...my best smelling bird was a quaker parrot! She smelled sweet but not too sweet. Oh, it just made my day giving her kisses and smelling her sweetness!