• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does anyone else's bird do this?

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
Oscar has a little playground/stand that sits on my desk. I got tired of scrubbing droppings off of wooden floor of the playstand so I laid down some newspaper to make cleaning easier. Now Oscar likes to shred the newspaper with his beak as it sticks out a bit from the playstand walls. Does anyone else have newspaper for their bird's stand and if you do, does your bird try to shred it?

mak

Rollerblading along the road
I think the best shredding I ever saw was a video posted by @Zara

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
It is a trait of Peach faced lovebirds. They will shred it into strips and tuck it into their tails :heart2:

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
It is a trait of Peach faced lovebirds. They will shred it into strips and tuck it into their tails :heart2:
I've heard of this when I was researching lovebirds but have never seen pictures. It's a very interesting behavior to say the least! I think it is more common in females though, so that's probably why I've never seen Oscar do it.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Never say never, he may well do it one day... :)

FarmGirl

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Heather Workman
Rio has finally learned to shred paper and other things but I watch her and she is still trying to figure out how to get it into her tail. Its kinda funny because she is so silly about everything. Its like she is chasing her tail. She is trying her best tho so I'll give her that.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
My grey thinks the paper lining her play areas is the best part, not just for shredding, but dramatically tossing it around.

Then she proceeds to poop on the surface the paper was supposed to protect before she shuffled it all over the place. *sigh*

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I use paper in some areas, but I don't like it in spaces that I directly occupy -- it's mostly out of their reach in places I do use it.

My solution for Jericho watching me work at a desk is a hanging perch and a rectangular sheet of glass on the corner of desk that he overhangs.

Whenever he poops I can just grab a tissue for cleanup and toss it in the waste bin.

Glass gets a thorough cleaning regularly, but it stays visually tidy at all times.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
hanging perch and a rectangular sheet of glass on the corner of desk that he overhangs.
That’s a really good idea!
My parrotlet likes to shred paper on her play stands also lol