• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does anyone else find that making soft noise when they scream makes them quieter?

jermajay

Meeting neighbors
I know you're not supposed to respond when they scream, but I noticed that when they're screeching, if I do a soft 'tu-tweeeee' they'll stop screaming and tu-tweee back, and then after a couple seconds they stop. On the other hand, if I leave the room or ignore them like you're supposed to, they'll keep going for ages. What are your thoughts?

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I know you're not supposed to respond when they scream, but I noticed that when they're screeching, if I do a soft 'tu-tweeeee' they'll stop screaming and tu-tweee back, and then after a couple seconds they stop. On the other hand, if I leave the room or ignore them like you're supposed to, they'll keep going for ages. What are your thoughts?
Whispering works the same way (I had forgotten). It is almost like they have to get quiet so they can listen. Also I think it changes the energy level in the room. Birds definitely respond to shifts in mood and energy. Turn down the lights and get quiet they act one way. Crank up the tunes and they will behave differently.

Not responding when they scream is extremely oversimplified and incomplete advice. It's easy to repeat and move on from but on it's own doesn't really work. It's basically useless unless it is expanded on. I am glad you are smarter than that :)

Not all vocalizations are what I would call screaming and not all screaming is solely for the purpose of getting your attention. So the cause of the screaming needs to be assessed and addressed as well. If my birds are screaming for food then ignoring them isn't going to help. If my birds are screaming because of a precieve threat, ignoring them will not help. Ignoring contact calls doesn't help either, responding to them works better.

Whispering works the same way (I had for gotten). It is almost like they have to get quiet so they can listen.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm a whisperer too. So much so that Chaos (GW Macaw) is also now a whisperer.
If only my Goffin would follow suit. The only thing that quiets her is getting her own way. :rolleyes:

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Yes I do the same thing when they are calling loudly ..I wouldnt classify my guys as screamers but one does call loudly and if I say her name and speak softly to her she quiets down :D

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Occasionally it works here.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Yes for some of my budgies. No for Cloud. He’s very opinionated.

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Yes, when my Fred screeches he puts his crest up...as soon as I say "what's the matter?" His crest goes down, he stops and usually comes over and I continue to talk to him in a quiet voice. Then he usually makes much quieter sounds to respond to what I'm saying. He usually stays calm after that. Cutie.