• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does anyone else’s budgie do this?

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
So one of my budgies is an over-preener. He has been doing this since he was 9 months old and now he is 3 years old. I’ve tried many things to help him but it never works. (Bathing every day, many preening toys, sitting in steam from the shower) He just over-preens all his feathers except his wing feathers. Does anyone else have a budgie that does this and has successfully had them stop? I don’t know if over-preening is a bad thing and I miss seeing his pretty feathers :o:
My other budgie doesn’t do this and the vet says he is completely healthy (she called him a pre Madonna drama queen though :roflmao:)

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Pictures:
DA457B84-C15D-4E79-A025-612570A2507C.jpeg 3E563DAF-6509-42BE-A2B5-81CDECE7CAD6.jpeg 7499CB93-792D-4DE0-98E8-FC2C697F138F.jpeg

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Where’s the over preening? I don’t see it, but am probably missing it.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How do you define over preening? One budgie may behave differently than others. Try not to compare them. Could be this bird is more nervous than the others. Be calm around him.

donutweall

Walking the driveway
My 4 all have different opinions on preening. One rarely does so, and isn't fussed when his tail is messy (or by being a porcupine head), another preens very often- he cannot stand having messy feathers, another is kind of clumsy at it, and Miss Potato bathes very frequently but doesn't seem to preen very much.

I think it must be, to some degree, a matter of individual preference.

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
How do you define over preening? One budgie may behave differently than others. Try not to compare them. Could be this bird is more nervous than the others. Be calm around him.
He chews up/ off the tips of his feathers. I’ll insert some pictures of the chewed up feathers when I get home. He isn’t nervous around my other bird.

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
I'm not seeing any worrying signs of over preening. Some seem to be very active in their own preening but if they are not showing signs of actual plucking and the vet isn't worried then I would not worry either.
I’m not really worried about it given how long he’s been doing this and the vet saying it’s fine. His feathers are just all chewed up and I miss seeing his pretty feathers not chewed up

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Here is an up close picture of one of his feathers
1CD9592D-67B1-4650-8C0C-C89F6DEC830A.jpeg
see how the tip is chewed off?

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Have you tried or looked into a type of special spray? For instance Pluck-No-More from Kings Cages. I have not yet done enough research on it, but it is on my list for my plucking Too. Or maybe try a tiny bit of red palm oil in his food, turn on the TV or radio, bring his cage outside to soak up some sun. Other people have also recommended a Herb mix.
I don't have experience "fixing" a plucker. But I am trying to help my own, so I hope my thoughts can give you some ideas.

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Have you tried or looked into a type of special spray? For instance Pluck-No-More from Kings Cages. I have not yet done enough research on it, but it is on my list for my plucking Too. Or maybe try a tiny bit of red palm oil in his food, turn on the TV or radio, bring his cage outside to soak up some sun. Other people have also recommended a Herb mix.
I don't have experience "fixing" a plucker. But I am trying to help my own, so I hope my thoughts can give you some ideas.
I’m not sure about sprays… they make me nervous because most aren’t 100% safe but I’ll look into it. I’ll also look into the red palm oil. I keep the radio on in my birds room from the time they wake up to the time I put them to sleep they just love the music! And also I love bringing their cages outside but currently it is winter and the high most days is 40F and the low 20F. Thank you for the suggestions!