• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does anybody know if it is bad for a horse

Jally

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
to stand on rocks all day minus 4 hours? Links would be helpful :o:

HowlsOfAngels

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
Um... yes, it'll cause soreness in the joints (uneven surface) and irregular wear/bruising on the hooves. There is also a risk of cracking and chipping the hooves and the horse may consume the rocks if he gets bored/hungry enough.

Why is your horse standing on rocks for such an extended period everyday?

I think you should discuss this with your farrier, or at the very least your local vet.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you speaking of large rocks or do you mean pea gravel? The tiny pebbles. Many stables use pea gravel and horses find it comforting to stand and walk on.

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
This horse isn't my horse, but my daughter's. She recently moved her horse to a new barn and he has been nothing but trouble (or so the barn owner says) since he arrived. He has a paddock and a stall that he can walk around in, but like I said, it is stones. No grass. He and the other horses are allowed to have 4 hours of grazing time. That's it. I don't know anything about horses, I only know what my daughter says about her horse. He's a lazy but HUGE Thoroughbred and I believe the barn owner is scared of him. All of the sudden he is charging, getting injured, has a sore back, saddle doesn't fit, etc etc. He has NEVER done anything like this before! My daughter has had children on him! No one will listen to me since I don't know anything about horses, but I just think it is common sense not to have a horse standing on stones all the time.

The barn owner is one of those people that you can't give advice to, especially if you don't have a degree of some sort. The vet and/or farrier might have said something to her, but if she did, we know nothing about it. But, she was told a few things in front of my daughter by the vet that she refuses to change and improve on.

We are looking for another barn. This will be his...7th barn in 7 years, I think. :confused: Thank you for your reply!!

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Judy, large rocks.

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
I would be moving him as soon as possible. I don't own a horse BUT no domestic horse should be made to stand on rocks.

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Barn owner sounds like a butthole who doesnt care about the horse. Probably being rough on it by the sounds of things.

Hope you find a new barn soon :hug8:

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Despite being a hoof and hard on the outside, the underneath is actually sensitive. That would be hell for the poor horse standing on rocks for so long no wonder he is displaying behaviour problems. :( Best get him moved as soon as possible for his own good.

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Thank you! We agree! We think having the rocks is easier for her to clean when there is no mud to deal with. The rules at this place is ridiculous. It's a HORSE BARN! Not a 5 star hotel! I understand wanting things to be neat and tidy, but my daughter gets so stressed trying to clean up every little piece of dirt her horse brings in the... oh, the stall they wash the horses in...what's it called??

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Thank you!! I am feeling very validated! :) We have a number to call about a new barn!

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Horses are hard work and dirty, anywhere that needs things absolutely spick and span needs to be give a wide berth. Our own stables weren't the dirtiest but they certainly weren't spotless and our horses did well. They only ever were on loose stone type material (that was actually compressed) when we worked them. Rest of the time out in the pastures or in the stables themselves on straw.

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
The place where he was at before she had him moved to this barn was so much worse, the total opposite of where he's at now. The horses were standing in mud 24/7. So, when they saw this barn they're thinking went along the lines of, 'OMG it is soooooooo clean! No mud!!' They went from 1 extreme to the other. She needs a happy medium LOL

HowlsOfAngels

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
Poor guy, it sounds like the stress on his joints may have begun to affect his back as well, which is expected over time. He may need a chiropractic adjustment, and I'd definitely try to bill the stable once he's moved as their innapropriate substrate is the major cause.

Goodluck finding somewhere clean and comfortable to keep him.

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Could that happen in a span of 4 months?

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
Could that happen in a span of 4 months?
Absolutely. And sore feet will definitely affect the rest of his body, and his temperment. Glad your daughter is looking elsewhere. It can be really tough to find a good barn...I'm lucky we are able to care for our own horses (although sometimes I wish someone else could do it! :lol:).

SallyQZ

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
I boarded my horses at a barn with an owner like that - she made the most ridiculous rules & was so difficult to get along with that she lost most of her clients. It's tough finding a good barn these days. I completely agree with your assessment and the need to move him asap. Standing on rocks is terrible for their feet and their joints, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to find a sore back as a result as well. And if the horse is showing behavioral changes as well, it is very possible that the barn owner is doing something to him to cause it. I don't work, so I hang around the barn for several hours a day. And I can't believe some of the stuff that I see being doing to client's horses. Your daughter's horse is telling her plain and simple that everything is wrong at this new barn. I hope you find a new barn soon and that it is the perfect balance that you need. Good luck!! :)

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Thank you everyone for your wonderful advice! It is very difficult finding a place to board around here. Hence why she's been to so many different barns. It seems like people have good intentions until they see him. He's big, that's it. But, his size scares some people.

Anyway, a new barn has been found! The best thing about this new barn is that it is at a dog boarding kennel where my daughter works! Her boss has some horses and she said she'd be happy to have him there as long as she helped with his care and cleaning other stalls. My daughter is thrilled at this idea! :dancing: Now all she needs to do is to learn how to drive! :eek: Cause this place is a half an hour drive away and I really don't want to make that trek on her days off.

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
Thank you everyone for your wonderful advice! It is very difficult finding a place to board around here. Hence why she's been to so many different barns. It seems like people have good intentions until they see him. He's big, that's it. But, his size scares some people.

Anyway, a new barn has been found! The best thing about this new barn is that it is at a dog boarding kennel where my daughter works! Her boss has some horses and she said she'd be happy to have him there as long as she helped with his care and cleaning other stalls. My daughter is thrilled at this idea! :dancing: Now all she needs to do is to learn how to drive! :eek: Cause this place is a half an hour drive away and I really don't want to make that trek on her days off.
Any updates?