• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

does anybody have any info on CBD oil?

Zygodactylous

Meeting neighbors
Birds do have cannabinoid receptors, just like dogs and humans, so it's possible it can be useful, but as others have said the research is pretty meager at this point. So far the only research I have seen specifically in birds is on cannabinoid-blocking drugs (which block endogenous cannabinoids, or the THC-like chemicals the body produces and responds to naturally) and their effect on memory. Basically the conclusion was that blocking cannabinoids improved the study birds' memory for where they'd stored food, but if that food was moved, they had more trouble imagining where it *could* be. So, what we can say for sure us that birds have cannabinoid receptors, and they are involved in memory and creative thinking/exploration/problem-solving type behavior. However, we don't really have any good information how cannabinoids of any kind are involved with pain, stress, or anxiety in birds. We also don't know how many receptors each species of bird has, and which kinds, which can greatly affect the dosage and efficacy of oils. Dogs, for example, have a LOT more receptors than humans, which is why they can end up completely dysphoric in the ER from an amount of THC that would be fairly gentle for a human. And dogs are all just one species, while we have 360+ species of parrot we know next to nothing about.

I would strongly suggest your macaw friend be seen by an avian vet, just to make sure nothing is physically wrong (unless you have done so already), and then consulting with a holistic vet if your regular vet isn't open to discussing medicinal hemp/cannabis use. And as others have mentioned, standards are mostly lacking in the new CBD/THC oil industry, so look for third-party testing and reviews from multiple unaffiliated sources. I wish you and your bird friend luck with this!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
while your moderator is awaiting to "approve" my message thanking those who gave helpful advice and stayed on topic and telling the rest of you your attack was neither appropriate nor appreciated, maybe they should re-read the community guidelines . . . or do they just pertain to those who aren't "special"? if you can remove a post, how about you allow me to delete this account? i have no desire to be a part of anything that feels it is ok to attack someone asking for information. 20 bucks says not one of you hiding behind your keyboard would say this to my face.
Aww come on maaaaaannnn! We're just a big family here that deeply cares about parrots of all sorts and basically an animal loving community :okwink:
We're not here to attack anyone. You did mention you wanted advice or info on CBD, I happily supplied that info to you.
You also mentioned that your bird was screaming, so obviously it was thought by many that You wanted CBD to calm the screaming. of course you'll get those that will disapprove, what was you expecting? As I mentioned there's no hard core evidence anywhere other than a university study, on dogs, and it's still basically inconclusive.
Parrots scream, that's their nature. As Mary @Hankmacaw pointed out, let the bird know where you are, sometimes that's all it takes.
And there very well could be something else, an underlying issue going on. That I couldn't tell you without seeing bird or situation it's in.
So personally If you can't take advice or criticism perhaps you shouldn't be here.
And by the way, you owe me 20 bucks, cause I'm one that can say that face to face no problem.

Last edited:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
IMO it’s ridiculous! Birds scream. Deal with it. You say he’s healthy and yet want to medicate him for selfish purposes.
:( Many birds loose homes because of screaming even decades after they've been in their home and not everyone has the capacity to handle it. Perhaps there is underlying stress of neighbor complaints etc...

@chookov I agree with a good vet check...it could even be hormones. Vet check first...research training and if you find additional studies, please let us know. I had ordered some to try for a few of mine and didn't see much improvement. One actually responded with Tumeric.

I personally would like to encourage you to keep trying and thank you for taking the time to research.

kenziesam

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sam Mackenzie
I thought CBD oil is a replacement for medication, but not only,wow.

mubinkhan

Checking out the neighborhood
You've given some sound advice about consulting with an avian vet to rule out any physical issues and then seeking guidance from a holistic vet if necessary. With the diversity of parrot species and their potential differences in receptor quantities and types, it's crucial to approach any CBD or THC oil usage cautiously.