• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

does anybody have any info on CBD oil?

chookov

Moving in
I have a 20 year old B&G (since she was 7) and although i try to continually read and learn as much as possible about caring for her, everything i've found on the "internet" regarding using CBD oil with birds contradicts every other thing i've read on the internet. i don't like using the web as a *primary source for info, but even my vet has no info with regard to this new horizon of care . . .

Recently I lost my 16 year old pibble-dog to a spinal tumor that 3 neurologists said would kill her within weeks (after Dx). Because at that point we had NOTHING to lose, i put her on CBD and *NON-PSYCHOACTIVE* THC formulas (both from the marijuana side of Cannabis sativa - not the hemp) dialed down from human dosages that studies are showing seem to arrest the growth of tumors, and she lived almost 2 more good years. so there's that. The doctors were nothing short of amazed, as none of them had ever seen a dog with this condition not only live so long, but not die the horrible painful suffocation death they all said she would - as they encouraged me to euthanize her to "prevent that from happening".

i am curious if anybody can direct me to any published studies, or any anecdotal evidence, or even personal experience using CBD oil with birds. (Hemp OR non-pyschoactive marijuana formulas) She is pretty social, in excellent health, and spends most of her day out on a play stand. she has her private sleeping quarters, and a cage big enough for two, maybe three small children. i am investigating it mostly as to calm her when she gets upset when she is left alone (read: she's recently taken to screaming bloody murder if she can HEAR you, but not SEE you)

since she came to me, there have always been other critters around - furred, feathered, and scaled. she currently lives with three adults, 6 only cats, and a large moose-dog. she is not afraid of any of them - in fact she will chase them away and go into raptor mode if they invade "HER" time with me. This screaming behavior is new, while her environment has not changed. She's never really been that much of a screamer otherwise, she's not a destructo-matic - she is a LOVER, but the screaming when she is alone has to stop. She has a good life, but now that i've seen first hand how it has helped my pup, i'm wondering if there are any applications where it would be beneficial to birds.

thank you

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I have a 20 year old B&G (since she was 7) and although i try to continually read and learn as much as possible about caring for her, everything i've found on the "internet" regarding using CBD oil with birds contradicts every other thing i've read on the internet. i don't like using the web as a *primary source for info, but even my vet has no info with regard to this new horizon of care . . .

Recently I lost my 16 year old pibble-dog to a spinal tumor that 3 neurologists said would kill her within weeks (after Dx). Because at that point we had NOTHING to lose, i put her on CBD and *NON-PSYCHOACTIVE* THC formulas (both from the marijuana side of Cannabis sativa - not the hemp) dialed down from human dosages that studies are showing seem to arrest the growth of tumors, and she lived almost 2 more good years. so there's that. The doctors were nothing short of amazed, as none of them had ever seen a dog with this condition not only live so long, but not die the horrible painful suffocation death they all said she would - as they encouraged me to euthanize her to "prevent that from happening".

i am curious if anybody can direct me to any published studies, or any anecdotal evidence, or even personal experience using CBD oil with birds. (Hemp OR non-pyschoactive marijuana formulas) She is pretty social, in excellent health, and spends most of her day out on a play stand. she has her private sleeping quarters, and a cage big enough for two, maybe three small children. i am investigating it mostly as to calm her when she gets upset when she is left alone (read: she's recently taken to screaming bloody murder if she can HEAR you, but not SEE you)

since she came to me, there have always been other critters around - furred, feathered, and scaled. she currently lives with three adults, 6 only cats, and a large moose-dog. she is not afraid of any of them - in fact she will chase them away and go into raptor mode if they invade "HER" time with me. This screaming behavior is new, while her environment has not changed. She's never really been that much of a screamer otherwise, she's not a destructo-matic - she is a LOVER, but the screaming when she is alone has to stop. She has a good life, but now that i've seen first hand how it has helped my pup, i'm wondering if there are any applications where it would be beneficial to birds.

thank you

This might help....it's verified and cited reference from research journals.
Cannabis extract helps reset brain function in psychosis

Date:
August 29, 2018
Source:
King's College London
Summary:
Researchers have found that a single dose of the cannabis extract cannabidiol can help reduce brain function abnormalities seen in people with psychosis. Results provide the first evidence of how cannabidiol acts in the brain to reduce psychotic symptoms.
Share:

FULL STORY

Research from King's College London has found that a single dose of the cannabis extract cannabidiol can help reduce brain function abnormalities seen in people with psychosis. Results from a new MRC-funded trial, published in JAMA Psychiatry, provide the first evidence of how cannabidiol acts in the brain to reduce psychotic symptoms.

Cannabidiol, also referred to as CBD, is a non-intoxicating compound found in cannabis. A purified form of cannabidiol has recently been licensed in the USA as a treatment for rare childhood epilepsies, and a 2017 King's College London trial has demonstrated cannabidiol has anti-psychotic properties.

However, exactly how cannabidiol may work in the brain to alleviate psychosis has remained a mystery.

"The mainstay of current treatment for people with psychosis are drugs that were first discovered in the 1950s and unfortunately do not work for everyone," says Dr Sagnik Bhattacharyya, from the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience (IoPPN). "Our results have started unravelling the brain mechanisms of a new drug that works in a completely different way to traditional anti-psychotics."

The researchers studied a group of 33 young people who had not yet been diagnosed with psychosis but who were experiencing distressing psychotic symptoms, along with 19 healthy controls. A single dose of cannabidiol was given to 16 participants while the other 17 received a placebo.
All participants were studied in an MRI scanner while performing a memory task which engages three regions of the brain known to be involved in psychosis.

As expected, the brain activity in the participants at risk of psychosis was abnormal compared to the healthy participants. However, among those who had cannabidiol, the abnormal brain activity was less severe than for those who received a placebo, suggesting cannabidiol can help re-adjust brain activity to normal levels.

The influence of cannabidiol on these three brain regions could underlie its therapeutic effects on psychotic symptoms.

Intriguingly, previous research from King's College London shows cannabidiol appears to work in opposition to tetrahydrocannabinol (THC); the ingredient in cannabis responsible for getting users high which has been strongly linked to the development of psychosis. THC can be thought of as mimicking some of the effects of psychosis, while cannabidiol has broadly opposite neurological and behavioural effects.

Dr Bhattacharyya and colleagues at IoPPN are now launching the first large scale, multi-centre trial to investigate whether cannabidiol can be used to treat young people at high risk of developing psychosis. The trial is supported by a £1.85 million grant from an NIHR and MRC partnership.

Some estimates suggest that in England alone, over 15,000 people present with early symptoms of psychosis every year. Despite symptoms that can be extremely severe, there are currently no treatments that can be offered to patients at high risk of psychosis because current anti-psychotic drugs can have serious side-effects.

"There is an urgent need for a safe treatment for young people at risk of psychosis," says Dr Bhattacharyya. "One of the main advantages of cannabidiol is that it is safe and seems to be very well tolerated, making it in some ways an ideal treatment. If successful, this trial will provide definitive proof of cannabidiol's role as an antipsychotic treatment and pave the way for use in the clinic."

Story Source:

Materials provided by King's College London. Note: Content may be edited for style and length.

Journal Reference:

1. Sagnik Bhattacharyya et al. Dysfunction in People at Clinical High Risk of PsychosisA Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Psychiatry, 2018 DOI: 10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2018.2309
Cite This Page:

King's College London. "Cannabis extract helps reset brain function in psychosis." ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 29 August 2018. <www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/08/180829115228.htm>.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Another article regarding the use on dogs.

CBD clinical trial results on seizure frequency in dogs 'encouraging'

Date:
May 21, 2019
Source:
Colorado State University
Summary:
Scientists have found in a small study that 89 percent of dogs who received CBD in the clinical trial had a reduction in the frequency of seizures. Nine dogs were treated with CBD, while seven in a control group were treated with a placebo.
Share:
Colorado State University. Note: Content may be edited for style and length.

Journal Reference:

1. Stephanie McGrath, Lisa R. Bartner, Sangeeta Rao, Rebecca A. Packer, Daniel L. Gustafson. Randomized blinded controlled clinical trial to assess the effect of oral cannabidiol administration in addition to conventional antiepileptic treatment on seizure frequency in dogs with intractable idiopathic epilepsy. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 2019; 254 (11): 1301 DOI: 10.2460/javma.254.11.1301
Cite This Page:

Colorado State University. "CBD clinical trial results on seizure frequency in dogs 'encouraging'." ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 21 May 2019. <www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/05/190521101450.htm>.

advertisement

RELATED STORIES
Synthetic Version of CBD Treats Seizures in Rats
May 28, 2019 — A synthetic, non-intoxicating analogue of cannabidiol (CBD) is effective in treating seizures in rats, according to research by chemists. The synthetic CBD alternative is easier to purify than a ... read more
Marijuana Derivative Reduces Seizures in People With Treatment-Resistant Epilepsy
Dec. 23, 2015 — Cannabidiol (CBD), a medical marijuana derivative, was effective in reducing seizure frequency and well-tolerated and safe for most children and young adults enrolled in a year-long study, ... read more
How CBD, a Component in Marijuana, Works Within Cells
Feb. 11, 2015 — Researchers have identified fatty acid binding proteins (FABPs) as intracellular transporters for two ingredients

chookov

Moving in
RE: on dogs

She was not having seizures, but was gradually losing her ability to walk due to where the tumor was located (her paperwork is on the other computer but iirc the tumor was located C-3? at the base of her neck)
the cbd/thc definitely slowed the growth of the tumor, evident in that she lived 23 months after Dx - which in every other case would have been a death sentence within weeks.
i have also experienced other good things with straight CBD formulas - mostly hemp - but i'm reluctant to experiment on Le Birrd until i have more information. the last thing i want to do is hurt, or inadvertantly kill her with ignorance

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
To be quite honest, there really isn't any hard core evidence on the net that can be justified for a parrot.
So personally, to use it on a parrot in my opinion would have to be a matter of life and death decision, closely monitored by your vet.
And it would probably be in very small dosages.
But I'm no vet, so this is basically my opinion.
Merely I offered up the research for you. From there it's your decision.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
RE: on dogs

She was not having seizures, but was gradually losing her ability to walk due to where the tumor was located (her paperwork is on the other computer but iirc the tumor was located C-3? at the base of her neck)
the cbd/thc definitely slowed the growth of the tumor, evident in that she lived 23 months after Dx - which in every other case would have been a death sentence within weeks.
i have also experienced other good things with straight CBD formulas - mostly hemp - but i'm reluctant to experiment on Le Birrd until i have more information. the last thing i want to do is hurt, or inadvertantly kill her with ignorance

Went through same thing with my past dog, they used steroid injections. And yea, tried CBD in small doses. She lived a year more than they said... So in my opinion, yea it helped.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I'd suggest you contact Dr McCluggage, he is highly respected and might have info for you. He's a past president of the Association of Avian Vets, he is a holistic vet, and is in Boulder County Colorado where there is a lot of formal and informal research going on into topics like this. Let us know what you learn!
WellVet.com & Chaparral Animal Health Center

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I consulted with Dr. McCluggage for several years. When Jackson was 15 and ill he said that was a good ripe age for a captive Quaker to have lived that long lol.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I use 0% THC hemp derived CBD oil for my own anxiety. There was a hemp CBD for pets that I tried for my Quaker Jingo (for aggression, mostly) but it didn't seem to have any effects for him.

One thing I've learned is that due to the flimsy legal nature of hemp /Marijuana, there is no regulation on it yet, which means they can say whatever they want on the bottle without backing it up currently.

The kind I use for myself has been independently tested by CannaSafe, which tests for a wide range of things including THC and harmful substances that are sometimes in cheaper CBD.

Part of the problem is again, due to the murky legal situation, there are few human studies on CBD right now, let alone on pets and birds.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Jasper (my 27 yo GW macaw) has had severe arthritis in both legs since she was at least 6 1/2 years old. She had been on a variety of pain meds for years and my vet wanted to change her off of Metacam because she had been on it so long it was risky for her kidneys. He talked me into CBD and I tried it on her and on me - both for arthritis - and after 6 weeks she was still in pain and I had not noticed a thing different. I just don't have faith in things that haven't gone through strict clinical trials. She was switched to gabapentin and Celebrex maybe three/four years ago and that combination has controlled her pain very well. CBD just did nothing for either of us.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
IMO it’s ridiculous! Birds scream. Deal with it. You say he’s healthy and yet want to medicate him for selfish purposes.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The very first thing you should do is have your bird checked out for physical issues. If she just started screaming, something has caused it and it could very well be a physical issue.

Do you call out to her to let her know where you are when she starts screaming. My bird is very quiet 99% of the time, but when she starts yelling for me I just tell her (from where ever I am in the house) that I'm there and it's ok. Works every time.

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I would be cautious of anything without clinical trials. For her screaming, does she have a radio on or some form of noise? I know my macaw will shout if he is concerned about where I am and I just respond and let him know what I'm doing and he usually quiets right down. He tends to be a quiet macaw.
Something in her environment from her perception may have changed? Also, if you are running over to check on her every time she screams, you could be encouraging the behavior by reinforcing it. It also may be a game for her but, only investigate after you've tried what Hankmacaw has suggested.

chookov

Moving in
well folks i see i made another mistake trying to use the internet to gather information. to those of you who responded kindly and on topic, i thank you. the rest, i did not come here to be attacked.

Last edited by a moderator:

chookov

Moving in
while your moderator is awaiting to "approve" my message thanking those who gave helpful advice and stayed on topic and telling the rest of you your attack was neither appropriate nor appreciated, maybe they should re-read the community guidelines . . . or do they just pertain to those who aren't "special"? if you can remove a post, how about you allow me to delete this account? i have no desire to be a part of anything that feels it is ok to attack someone asking for information. 20 bucks says not one of you hiding behind your keyboard would say this to my face.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I don’t see anywhere that there’s been an attack or anything of the sort but I have found the whole topic rather interesting and just wanted to wish you well in finding a solution for your problem :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'd suggest you contact Dr McCluggage, he is highly respected and might have info for you. He's a past president of the Association of Avian Vets, he is a holistic vet, and is in Boulder County Colorado where there is a lot of formal and informal research going on into topics like this. Let us know what you learn!
WellVet.com & Chaparral Animal Health Center
I’ve also had a vet consultation with Dr. McCluggage over the phone. I was so glad so did! He was very nice and knowledgeable.