• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does any one know reputable plum headed parakeet breeders?

clunkybird

Moving in
I'm looking for a plum headed parakeet so my quaker parrot can have some company when I'm away.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue :)

It may help to include your country/state.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Going to tag @fashionfobie as she might be able to give some advice on care whilst you wait to find a breeder:)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I know a few breeders. The network is pretty tight as they aren't as popular as other species.

Very few chicks are available so you may need patience, and may need to wait until the next season. Plumheads are picky about the time of year they breed and they have fairly small clutches. They are also much harder to find at rescues.

Where are you located?

Reactions: Ali

clunkybird

Moving in
I know a few breeders. The network is pretty tight as they aren't as popular as other species.

Very few chicks are available so you may need patience, and may need to wait until the next season. Plumheads are picky about the time of year they breed and they have fairly small clutches. They are also much harder to find at rescues.

Where are you located?
Oregon

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I sent you a pm.

I am in Australia and I think they are a little more common here. There are a few breeders I know of in N.America. There is one in Texas, Florida and British Colombia that I am aware of. I would try reaching out to a local parrot society also. I am not affiliated with any parrot societies in Oregon so I am not sure where to send you.

I know a dedicated breeder in the UK and he has a little network of plumheads there. Sorry I can't be of more help than that.

Plumheads are wonderful birds. They do require lots of fresh foods from flowers, fruits and veggies. I think my plumhead is my most expensive bird to feed. So do keep that in mind. They may be small, but they love their flowers and tropical fruits! I know a few who lived to impressive ages 32 and 35. However it is more common for them to live to their mid-20s.

Reactions: Ali

clunkybird

Moving in
I sent you a pm.

I am in Australia and I think they are a little more common here. There are a few breeders I know of in N.America. There is one in Texas, Florida and British Colombia that I am aware of. I would try reaching out to a local parrot society also. I am not affiliated with any parrot societies in Oregon so I am not sure where to send you.

I know a dedicated breeder in the UK and he has a little network of plumheads there. Sorry I can't be of more help than that.

Plumheads are wonderful birds. They do require lots of fresh foods from flowers, fruits and veggies. I think my plumhead is my most expensive bird to feed. So do keep that in mind. They may be small, but they love their flowers and tropical fruits! I know a few who lived to impressive ages 32 and 35. However it is more common for them to live to their mid-20s.
Thank you for your help, I'll go and check out those sources.